advertisement

The Beatles - New Remastered Vinyl Stereo Box Set

They will also be sold separately so I may snatch up a few favorites and ones I don't already have. If they sound similar to the "Love" project, I'm in.

These LPs were definitely cut from WAV files. So this would appear to be a bit naff.

Also, $400 for 16 records? But steep, thinks I.

Dudes,

Any idea if the 24-bit/192 kHz files used to make the LP lacquers would be any better than the 16/44.1 kHz files on the 2009 stereo CD remasters ?

(I bought the mono CD box and am very happy with it, but there's something wrong with listening to John, Paul, Ringo and George on CD.)

Joe

John,

The files have been dithered? Noooooooooooooooo!

(Unless that's good thing.)

Joe

I can understand them not going back to the tapes again - god knows what they are insured for! However, stereo seems an odd decision given the likely market and the sheer number of stereo copies in circulation already. Decent mono versions are a different matter entirely. Also, I'm assuming from the press release that they will continue to use the 1987 versions of Rubber Soul and Help rather than the '60s originals? Seems like a miss-step all round. They'll sell whatever though.

John,

I agree. I would have thought the original mono releases with the latter real stereo ones would make for a proper LP box set.

Joe

I think it's entirely possible to create a very good sounding vinyl from a very good digital master. From what I understand they did this recently with the recent Rolling Stones remasters. I can see getting some of the later stuff in stereo. I wouldn't be surprised if the earlier stuff is reissued in mono. All good things come to those who wait. :D

You should remember that when cutting a vinyl record one is almost always feeding the signal through a digital delay before it reaches the cutting head. The non delayed signal controls how the grooves are layed out. There are exceptions in some audiophile vinyl, but probably not at Abbey Road!

So, 99% of the vinyl we have bought since 1978 (when Neuman presented a cutting system with a digital delay) have been in the digital realm and back!

Doesn't stop vinyl from SOUNDING supreme to digital sources most of the time.

JohanR

I think it's a missed opportunity really, not many analogue enthusiasts will want to listen to digital remasters via their vinyl rigs. I wont be paying £400 for a stereo box sourced from digital. For anyone who doesn't own the records already it will be a great chance, interesting to see how they sell.

Dudes,

Any idea if the 24-bit/192 kHz files used to make the LP lacquers would be any better than the 16/44.1 kHz files on the 2009 stereo CD remasters ?

(I bought the mono CD box and am very happy with it, but there's something wrong with listening to John, Paul, Ringo and George on CD.)

Joe

Joe,
there are two many factors to take into account to answer that with a yes or no. Yes, the original 24-bit/192 kHz files are going to be better than the down-sampled files on the 16/44.1 kHz CDs. But then, as a listener, you have to take into account the mastering process for the vinyl, the pressing, quality of the vinyl and then a comparison of your vinyl and cd playback systems!

Mr. Datsun,

there are two many factors to take into account to answer that with a yes or no. Yes, the original 24-bit/192 kHz files are going to be better than the down-sampled files on the 16/44.1 kHz CDs. But then, as a listener, you have to take into account the mastering process for the vinyl, the pressing, quality of the vinyl and then a comparison of your vinyl and cd playback systems!
I was hoping for just buy the vinyl, dammit! Why have you needlessly complicated the matter, what with your consideration of factors and whatnots.

Joe

advertisement

Back