advertisement

The Beach Boys ‘Sunflower’ album.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I owned this album in the ‘70s and for some reason let it go. No doubt we’ve all done similar things
and regretted it later...
I tracked down a CD, but it didn’t sound right to me. OK, aural memory can be suspect.
Nevertheless, I wanted record so the search started.
Eventually I located a copy produced by Analogue Productions on 200 gram vinyl.
Expensive, but what a revelation !
Depth and a wide soundstage, accompanied by a bass that frankly surprised me.
OK, ‘Sunflower’ isn’t everybody’s idea of Beach Boys music but it makes a nice change from
‘Sea & Surf’ music.

I have Sunflower, like it a lot. I find that the Beach Boys became quite interesting in the early 70's with Holland & Surfs Up.

I have Sunflower, like it a lot. I find that the Beach Boys became quite interesting in the early 70's with Holland & Surfs Up.

Totally agree - this was their indian summer. Love those records. Surf’s Up is one of the most exraordinary songs ever written.

Yes, Sunflower and Surf's Up are lovely records. I wish I had those on vinyl, too. I cannot really justify the cost of those Analogue Productions LPs these days.

I
Yes, Sunflower and Surf's Up are lovely records. I wish I had those on vinyl, too. I cannot really justify the cost of those Analogue Productions LPs these days.
I have them both on vinyl, not sure of the pressing but they were not expensive when bought 15 years or so ago. I have Holland also with the daft 7" kids story. Very nice cover.

I

I have them both on vinyl, not sure of the pressing but they were not expensive when bought 15 years or so ago. I have Holland also with the daft 7" kids story. Very nice cover.
I regret selling my copy of Holland. One of just a handful I regret now when I had a big sell off about ten years ago.

I

I bought Holland when it came out and thought it was a smart move putting Brian's strange but rather endearing story on a separate disc. Its a shame they didn't annex Student Demonstration Time on 'Surf's Up' - its not that its a bad song, its just so out of keeping with the feel that the rest of the album has. Having said that, for me 'Surf's Up' stands with 'Pet Sounds' as my favourite Beach Boys LP's.

I bought Holland when it came out and thought it was a smart move putting Brian's strange but rather endearing story on a separate disc. Its a shame they didn't annex Student Demonstration Time on 'Surf's Up' - its not that its a bad song, its just so out of keeping with the feel that the rest of the album has. Having said that, for me 'Surf's Up' stands with 'Pet Sounds' as my favourite Beach Boys LP's.
Surfs Up is certainly up there with Pet Sounds, not listened to it or Holland for a good while now, both have great artwork also. Need to give them a spin soon.

Sunflower could have been a fantastic double LP in 1970 - they had enough songs for it. The UK version of the LP had Cottonfields added as such a big hit here.
Dennis was very prominent on Sunflower but had no songs on Surfs Up due to a spat over album sequencing, so we missed out on these:
and

Sunflower could have been a fantastic double LP in 1970 - they had enough songs for it. The UK version of the LP had Cottonfields added as such a big hit here.[/MEDIA]

Did the LP have the “single version” of Cottonfields, coz the version on the 20/20 CD is different

Last edited:
Yeah, the single version was reworked in 1970 and included on Sunflower. Very like what happened with Help Me Ronda (Today LP 65) -> Help Me Rhonda (Summer Days & Summer Nights LP & single 66).

I have the two different versions of “Help me Rhonda” on my LPs “Today” and “Greatest Hits” - the latter, incidentally, being the very first LP I ever bought, back in 1970, or thereabouts :)

Cotton Fields has always been one of my favourite BB songs and I have the original 45 single which I much prefer over the 20/20 version, so I would very much like to source a nice digital copy. There is a Youtube of it, but the SQ is poor. Might have to try connecting the Sondek+82 to the PC........LOL

Last edited:

advertisement

Back