advertisement

The Audio Technica 140XP Review

gregory lynch

pfm Member
Hello everyone,
I've had this deck a month and I thought an appraisal is due.
There are not many reviews from users, so here we go.
Bad thing's first.
The platter was off, about 1mm, a lift up and a few turns sorted this out to some degree. More on this later.
The arm lift is slack, it lowers ok but lifting it does not inspire confidence, no worries if it's lifted slowly but it's not precise.
The arm itself has no problem with the bearings, all seems good vertically and horizontally. The pop up light is dire, it doesn't go up high enough and it's not a satisfying click or thud, more like, I'll get there eventually. I would not use it anyway,
the blue light would is to dark.
Speaking of which, I wish they used red for all the other functions and white for the pop up light, blue on black doesn't go.
The anti skate works the counterweight is spot on, checking with a digital scale the markings seem accurate.
I would have preferred the lid to stay upright and not at an angle but that's no problem. The quartz lock is good but it's those blue lights, they are off putting.
So some small points to consider.
Some good points, it feels well built apart from the points above. It's weighty and the feet do a good job as they are adjustable but a bit sticky if used on a glass platform.
The rca lead is a bit long but is good for the job.
How it sounds, bloody marvellous, with the stock conical stylus I was more than happy but a change to an AT 95ML stylus and bang, a different league, I tried a Shure M75, very nice, an Nagaoka MP110,
again very nice but the AT VM 95ML suits this turntable very well.
I don't think there is any point describing the sound or genres of music played but a DD turntable for me is the way forward.
A Technics for build quality will be better for sure but I use this at home, not for clubbing so from a deejay point of view take what you will.
£300 I fell buys a lot of turntable, the sound is excellent and I am very happy with my purchase, this may not be an in-depth review but I am happy to answer any questions.
All the best and please stay safe.

advertisement

Back