advertisement

The appeal of retro hifi

I haven't gone down the retro route yet (unless you count an old Revolver tt) but I suspect that if I hang around here long enough I'll succumb eventually.

Looks to me like maybe they should have left longer leads on the diodes to space them off the board.

I have a Pioneer SA9800 here and that had a very similar issue, plus a regulator running too hot without a heatsink. Now replaced, sinked and working fine.
Pioneer from this period is generally excellent.

Pioneer sold that line of components here under the brand name "Series 20". I had a Series 20 tonearm once that was quite nice.

Incidentally, I could not detect a great deal of difference. Certainly not enough for me to sit up and pay attention or think that I'm missing something with the single amp configuration.

Heresy!

Excellent stuff James

The plan for a small fan is a good one for longevity. Picking-up demotivated's point you can run '12v' pc-style fans off a 7805 voltage reg just fine for less airflow but total silence. (you don't need a gale anyway, just a bit of air movement will help enormously)
8v is about right to run a 12V fan slow and quiet. PC fans are usually 12V nominal and very cheap for the quality. The rule is Bigger is Quieter

I have a Pioneer SA9800 here and that had a very similar issue, plus a regulator running too hot without a heatsink. Now replaced, sinked and working fine.
Pioneer from this period is generally excellent.
I regret selling my SA-9800, but it had a dry joint, and I foolishly traded it in for a Musical Fidelity A-100. Duh!

They sound amazingly good. If I don't need more than two channels of amplification or my remote, the Densens could easily become redundant. Just waiting to build my ventilation platform now.

Had RustyB and a friend over this morning. My fears have been confirmed. The Pioneer C-21/M-22 combo is better than the Densen B-250/B-350s, by a majority of 3-0. The Japanese relics sound more palpable, more organic, more musical and more enjoyable than the modern Danes.

Crap.

advertisement

Back