advertisement

The amazing Alexandria

There's concern and then there's insanity. $1 Billion dollars raised with wall to wall media while everything else exponentially more crucial is ignored. It's insanity or some other nasty form of social sickness.

And all for a monument to the Crusades, subjugation of half the human race and pedophilia. And all of it based entirely on fairytales. Lovely.
I like the spleen but wouldn't it make more sense to reserve it for the billionaires and their courtiers in the media, rather than just spraying it at "people"?

I like the spleen but wouldn't it make more sense to reserve it for the billionaires and their courtiers in the media, rather than just spraying it at "people"?

That would be a horrible waste of spray given that billionaires and the media aren't twisting anyone's arm to ignore readily available information, whether it be history or current affairs, to bow to an alter of horseshit. They didn't convince me the church was pearly gates and unicorn farts, or that their horrific history didn't happen anymore than compel me to ignore the fact that public worship extends to their edifices, and while other suffering continues ignored. So why should the "people" (keeping with your scare quotes) who can't figure that out get a pass from spray.

edit: and while I have you, and since you guys are so concerned with climate change, how is it there's not a thread on the UKs proposed commitment to be carbon neutral by 2050? Quite ponderous to me out here in the peanut gallery, that one.

But then I'm still scratching my head after a tenured and highly up-voted member calls a female member [rhymes with Bare Clocks] a [rhymes with Stitch] and a [rhymes with Blunt] and doesn't draw 30 days while others get a long walk for much less. But, hey, call me the crazy one!

That would be a horrible waste of spray given that billionaires and the media aren't twisting anyone's arm to ignore readily available information, whether it be history or current affairs, to bow to an alter of horseshit. They didn't convince me the church was pearly gates and unicorn farts, or that their horrific history didn't happen anymore than compel me to ignore the fact that public worship extends to their edifices, and while other suffering continues ignored. So why should the "people" (keeping with your scare quotes) who can't figure that out get a pass from spray.

edit: and while I have you, and since you guys are so concerned with climate change, how is it there's not a thread on the UKs proposed commitment to be carbon neutral by 2050? Quite ponderous to me out here in the peanut gallery, that one.

But then I'm still scratching my head after a tenured and highly up-voted member calls a female member [rhymes with Bare Clocks] a [rhymes with Stitch] and a [rhymes with Blunt] and doesn't draw 30 days while others get a long walk for much less. But, hey, call me the crazy one!

You know they really are twisting a lot of arms, one way or another! A lot of money and expertise goes into making the workings of power all but indecipherable, and the levers small and hard to reach. One ruse is to convince us that even if we’ve made the effort to figure things out, so few others have that change is impossible, leaving a heightened sense of alienation and despair as our only reward. Go on, tell me you’ve seen through that one!

I have a pet theory that posits the human mental process behind ignoring risk for a perceived reward is linked with the mental gymnastics required for everything from the ability to ignore unimaginable catastrophe, such as Climate Change, to the socially-herded groupthink behind voting people totally unfit into office (if they get their cut) and grotesque selective empathy.

A good example of the latter I won’t bother to type when this graphic does a much better job -

fgrrsycxr5431.png

According to a Sudanese MD that we had over for dinner a couple of years ago the Sudan split was orchestrated by "the West" to better exploit the country's valuable resources...

You know they really are twisting a lot of arms, one way or another! A lot of money and expertise goes into making the workings of power all but indecipherable, and the levers small and hard to reach. One ruse is to convince us that even if we’ve made the effort to figure things out, so few others have that change is impossible, leaving a heightened sense of alienation and despair as our only reward. Go on, tell me you’ve seen through that one!

Yes, but whose arms are they really twisting. Surely you, among the pantheon of PFM erudition, don't see the workings of power as indecipherable. I mean, I haven't read a fraction of your many posts, but from what I have seen you and your contemporaries would appear to have it all pretty much figured out. And you don't seem in despair. Change is impossible because people of means don't want change if it causes them inconvenience. And by means I'm referring to just about everyone on this forum and of equal stead. It's all talk.

and while I have you, and since you guys are so concerned with climate change

Some of us are indeed worried about climate change but that is not the main subject of the topic nor is it the only one in AOC's interventions as a politician/citizen.
We're also worried about the rise of the far-right and of unscrupulous incompetent populists like the Dotard...

you're slipping back into californication prose.

huh? they are controlling pretty much all of the information. no need to twist any arms.

Vuk, I didn't broach the term 'spray' or first accuse anyone of the act. You've got to make an effort to read all of the words, not just the ones that light up your score-a-forum-point virtual orgasm button, if conversation is to have a chance.

I'll say it again. You seem to have the answers. Where does your information come from.

Some of us are indeed worried about climate change but that is not the main subject of the topic nor is it the only one in AOC's interventions as a politician/citizen.
We're also worried about the rise of the far-right and of unscrupulous incompetent populists like the Dotard...

I don't think any of you are worried about climate change beyond the effort it takes to appear so, going by the gang-bang of ignored counterpoints after a vector to pump egos is found and the game declared over. I've been there, trust me. And over misstating a position on meat. Besides, there's a dead thread somewhere in the back pages here to illustrate all the fronted anxiety over climate.

Yes, but whose arms are they really twisting. Surely you, among the pantheon of PFM erudition, don't see the workings of power as indecipherable. I mean, I haven't read a fraction of your many posts, but from what I have seen you and your contemporaries would appear to have it all pretty much figured out. And you don't seem in despair. Change is impossible because people of means don't want change if it causes them inconvenience. And by means I'm referring to just about everyone on this forum and of equal stead. It's all talk.
Focusing the spleen, good, good!

I'm not in despair because I don't think people are idiots or that change is impossible!

Vuk, I didn't broach the term 'spray' or first accuse anyone of the act. You've got to make an effort to read all of the words, not just the ones that light up your score-a-forum-point virtual orgasm button, if conversation is to have a chance.

it isn't just that word, but it was certainly a trigger for me. i don't understand the purpose of your flowery prose in these discussions. what purpose does it serve to have the reader interpret the figures of speech and then try to sort out hyperbole, sarcasm and all the other ambiguities? on top of it all, it signals disdain for the audience.

I'll say it again. You seem to have the answers.

i certainly don't pretend to have all the answers, but i do try to present some good questions.

Where does your information come from.

information about what? last week a lot of it came from CNN, which i had on in the background of my hotel room. the big question there is why american news anchors are still so convinced that their nation is fundamentally good and never does anything intentionally bad. i may have an answer or two on that one.

Marky,

I don't think any of you are worried about climate change beyond the effort it takes to appear so...

What makes you think that? It's a helluva jump to extrapolate from posts on a forum — or in this case, posts not on a forum — to concern about an issue.

Joe

Focusing the spleen, good, good!

I'm not in despair because I don't think people are idiots or that change is impossible!

Ah, we've made it to attributing unwritten words and thoughts to win the thread.

I've played in this pen long enough to know that means it's past time to say goodnight.

edit: except for 'change is impossible'. I stand by that one. I mean the sort of change you're implying -- systemic. It's been the same since the start and it doesn't appear to me to be going anywhere.

Marky,

What makes you think that? It's a helluva jump to extrapolate from posts on a forum — or in this case, posts not on a forum — to concern about an issue.

Joe

I wasn't including you, Joe. I realize you've made quite an effort to keep it above the fold. But you have to admit that between the silence on this week's news that the UK will attempt to be carbon neutral in 30 years (ignoring that most scientists paint a dire picture of what 30 years will look like even if we were carbon neutral when I hit 'Post Reply') and the death spiral of the Climate thread here it doesn't look, smell or walk like concern from where any thinking person sits. Brexit gets thousands of views and 100s of posts, but Climate? I think it says something.

it isn't just that word, but it was certainly a trigger for me. i don't understand the purpose of your flowery prose in these discussions. what purpose does it serve to have the reader interpret the figures of speech and then try to sort out hyperbole, sarcasm and all the other ambiguities? on top of it all, it signals disdain for the audience.

i certainly don't pretend to have all the answers, but i do try to present some good questions.

information about what? last week a lot of it came from CNN, which i had on in the background of my hotel room. the big question there is why american news anchors are still so convinced that their nation is fundamentally good and never does anything intentionally bad. i may have an answer or two on that one.

My point was that you and sean and most everyone here is gathering information from the same pools, and you seem fairly confident that you have a decent grip on what's going on. And so I'm asking how did you avoid the arm twisting and machinations of the Billionaires and their media whores.

Everytime I see the thread title I hope it's going to be an in depth review of a fishie's first hand experience of one of Wilson's seminal speakers.

How very fkin disappointing.

My point was that you and sean and most everyone here is gathering information from the same pools, and you seem fairly confident that you have a decent grip on what's going on. And so I'm asking how did you avoid the arm twisting and machinations of the Billionaires and their media whores.

this would be easier if you started with one clear example of what you believe i am getting wrong because of bad information sources.

this would be easier if you started with one clear example of what you believe i am getting wrong because of bad information sources.
I'm not saying you're getting anything wrong! The contention here is that "people" - the one's I sprayed - owe their bad choices to billionaires and a complicit media. And it doesn't look as though you or sean get your information from radically different sources than those sprayed folks, so how is it you guys are savvy and the rhetorically coated with spleen people aren't?

What's the difference that makes it so.

advertisement

Back