advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

The Naim philosophy makes perfect sense to me as a business model.
Why wouldn't you want to keep hold of your customers by offering an upgrade path rather than losing them to another brand.
Why not make them feel they are being offered a unique sound which is all about the music rather than a falsely created soundstage.
I don't know who came up with the word synonymous to Naim called "PRAT" but you can't deny its value to the brand.
Its also a double edged sword as "PRAT" does not exist in any other brand apparently.
I salute them and their legion of flat earthers.
The earth is round BTW.

The Naim philosophy makes perfect sense to me as a business model.
Why wouldn't you want to keep hold of your customers by offering an upgrade path rather than losing them to another brand.
Why not make them feel they are being offered a unique sound which is all about the music rather than a falsely created soundstage.
I don't know who came up with the word synonymous to Naim called "PRAT" but you can't deny its value to the brand.
Its also a double edged sword as "PRAT" does not exist in any other brand apparently.
I salute them and their legion of flat earthers.
The earth is round BTW.
Yes great marketing.

I don't miss the old Naim forum though as there was definitely a component of arrogance (i.e. if you didn't have a 52 then you weren't worth talking too). That was only from a small number of posters but they were quite vocal - and in some cases they seemed to me a lot more interested in the hardware than in actually listening to music.

The willy-waving “should I put another 555ps on my ND555” folks are still there, just as much as the “I’m showing my evident superiority by having sold all my Naim kit” are on pfm. And their behaviour is just as much bully boy as here. There’s a good one going on at the moment about Chord’s new EE switch.

Surprisingly, some of “cables and/or Ethernet switches make a difference threads” get just as heated as here, but get stomped on pretty quickly by the mods.

It seems certain audio equipment attracts a lot of emotional response, which I find interesting, sometimes amusing and entertaining.
My position is audio equipment is not important enough to waste that kind of energy.
Being objective in expressing an opinion is a skill in itself. It takes self awareness, of our own thoughts and feelings and then to detach from them, before making an unbiased, considered response.

I don’t think it’s ‘evident superiority’, more realising that there’s so much more out there and pulling away from marketing hype.

The \troll language used when making some assertions is so disrespectful.

'Marketing Hype' suggests that there is no intrinsic value to a companies products and the only reason anyone would own them is that they have been somehow taken in.

I'm not a 'Naim Sheep' but fully respect the brands qualities and anyones decision to spend their money there.

'So much more out there' similarly suggests that someone made the decision to purchase without investigating the alternatives and are unaware of the competition.

I used to sell Naim and cant recall anyone buying blind without listening to the alternatives.

No it suggests marketing hype. I’ve owned Naim and have stated it was good equipment. Sheep is provocative. In my case I was gifted the Naim and was very happy to receive it

I thought the Naim forum died a death when Paul Stephenson retired? Is it back? I don't think I'm going looking for it though - that Adam Meredith was a miserable bugger

I thought the Naim forum died a death when Paul Stephenson retired? Is it back? I don't think I'm going looking for it though - that Adam Meredith was a miserable bugger

It did......yes.....I don’t blame you.....he has maybe mellowed (a bit). :D

Except that Joe Public knows what a Rolex is. Naim? Not so much.

The main similarities are year-on-year price increases to keep secondhand values up, and well built - if somewhat basic - in-house made underpinnings.
It doesn't matter if your peer group recognise it. Youths wear the "right" clothes, the fact that I don't know this doesn't matter. In fact more so, they dont want an old got like me in the same clothes.

I only visit now for a look.

The last straw was when a silly joke I posted received criticism from someone for not being technically correct. Not even a smiley to lighten the mood.

Years ago I was called all sorts of nasty names by someone on there because they’d failed to read a joke fully. “Human detritus” was one term he used. I stopped posting, but later received an email from Richard Dane asking me to keep posting. I tried, but my heart just wasn’t in it anymore.

PFM is the only forum I donate to. Just wish I could donate a little more and more more often.

Isnt all marketing 'Hype'?
No, absolutely not. It's about establishing your customers and making your product appeal to them. Sometimes in concrete ways, after all you have to ensure that a £5k Rolex is tough, reliable and keeps good time, but also, more nebulously by giving your customer what they want and telling them what they want to hear.

advertisement

Back