advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

This this a common mod to non-Naim amps or does it lend itself to Naim due to their design?
According to that Naim antihero LesW the protection achieves nothing and degrades the sound quality. It’s apparently easy to remove

Oh shit.
"She cannae take it Cap'n! The reactor will blow! Ye cannae have 3 consecutive posts saying Naim is forward, because it's against the AUP, someone will use the word "h a r s h" and there'll be a quantum event! "

Are you OK @Steve67? You were much more relaxed 8 years ago...

I can't get on with them myself so just a simple pre/power for me, although I did like the improved clarity.
To be fair my pre power only uses two shelves. HICAP and 72 use just one shelf.

It's when you get to putting xps's with your CDP then another for your dac and then streamer. Then getting a power amp for each woofer and each tweeter ad infinitum.

Nevertheless some people love that. Not for me to criticise.

Whatever floats the boat.

Are you OK @Steve67? You were much more relaxed 8 years ago...
Course I am herb, everything's fine. Thanks for asking. Getting out plenty on the bike and I'm allowed out on the rock again so times are good. Bored of being stuck at home, I could do with getting back into a factory, kicking arse and making things happen, but that's coming soon enough. Meanwhile I'll just Trek this thread up a bit. Ye cannae change the laws of physics cap'n...

Page 26? For God’s sake, beam me up.

Sorry Del, you are “doomed”, and if you are a really naughty boy you’ll be transferred to the “Do Naim Mains Cables fitted with Rhodium Plated Beeswax infused Cryogenically Treated Fuses make a Difference?” thread.

So in which Circle would you like to spend the rest of Eternity?

First Circle: Limbo The first circle is home to the unbaptized and virtuous pagans, i.e those who own no Naim

Second Circle: Lust The second circle is the final destination of the lustful, i.e those who want to own Naim

Third Circle: Gluttony For those folks for whom a single 555PS powering their ND555 Is just not enough.

Fourth Circle: Greed For those who must have every Naim preamp from 12 to S1, and then make sure that everybody on a certain (other) forum knows about it!

Fifth Circle: Anger For those who get p1$$ed off at Naim Haters, and probably Cable Naysayers as well. Also includes Cable Naysayers who feel the need to save the innocent from themselves

Sixth Circle: Heresy For those who have lost the “True Faith”, sold all their Naim (and Sondek) and bought a streamer and some obscure make of amplifier

Seventh Circle: Violence Thankfully we’re all Internet Warriors in Lockdown. Naim remotes at dawn, anyone? (Social Distancing rules apply)

Eighth Circle: Fraud This circle is reserved for <insert your favourite supplier of, er, “sound enhancing” products here>

Ninth Circle: Treachery The final circle is a frozen wasteland occupied by history’s greatest traitors....see Sixth Circle.

Sorry Del, you are “doomed”, and if you are a really naughty boy you’ll be transferred to the “Do Naim Mains Cables fitted, with Rhodium Plated Beeswax infused Cryogenic Treated Fuses, make a Difference?”

So in which Circle would you like to spend the rest of Eternity?

First Circle: Limbo The first circle is home to the unbaptized and virtuous pagans, i.e those chocolate own no Naim

Second Circle: Lust The second circle of Hell is the final destination of the lustful, i.e those who want to own Naim

Third Circle: Gluttony For those folks for whom a single 555PS Powering their ND555 Is just not enough.

Fourth Circle: Greed For those who must have every Naim preamp from 12 to S1, the then make sure that every body on a certain (other) forum knows about it!

Fifth Circle: Anger For those who get p1$$ed on at Naim Haters, and probably Cable Naysayers as well. Also includes Cable Naysayers wh feel the need to save the innocent themselves

Sixth Circle: Heresy For those who have lost the “True Faith”, sold all their Naim and bought some obscure make of amp.

Seventh Circle: Violence Thankfully we’re all Internet Warriors in Lockdown. Naim remotes at dawn, anyone?

Eighth Circle: Fraud This circle is reserved for <insert your favourite supplier of, er, sound enhancing products here>

Ninth Circle: Treachery The final circle is a frozen wasteland occupied by history’s greatest traitors....see Sixth Circle.
I prefer triangles.

well ill roll it over... had naim on and off over the years and now back with a streamer and nait, yes it was pricey and no doubt it could have been done cheaper but it sounds good, well supported and simple two box system. couple it with roon and its easy for the family to use

well ill roll it over... had naim on and off over the years and now back with a streamer and nait, yes it was pricey and no doubt it could have been done cheaper but it sounds good, well supported and simple two box system. couple it with roon and its easy for the family to use

Nothing wrong with, you like it and that’s all that really matters.

Another PJ challange?

For the Naim Haters: What is (or was) the worst most over priced Naim nonsense?

For the Naim Lovers: What is (or was) the best value for money Naim bargain?

Luvvin my 72 /RSL/ HC /TPR4/ 250DR. I find it very transparent to source quality.

The combination of drive and resolution is well suited to my vinyl and my collection of CD players.

Nice to see the return of a Naim thread.

PS for Charlie_1: swap the 250DR for something older for better vfm according to the friendliness of the Bank account.

I like a challange PJ.

For the Naim Haters: What is the worst most over priced Naim nonsense?

For the Naim Lovers: What is the best value for money Naim bargain at the moment (new or old)?

Continuing in this thread or starting two new ones, Charlie?:D

Another PJ challange?

I’ll bite.

Worst piece for me was CDS2/XPS. If the mech on a CD2 didn’t turn to flake, I might have saved myself a bit of coin.

I have two best pieces to nominate. First is the ARO tonearm. It’s sublime, elegant and amazingly fluid. Second would have to be the CB Nait 2. The original asking price is well surpassed by second hand prices, which is a fairly reliable indication of its giant killing capabilities.

Second would have to be the CB Nait 2. The original asking price is well surpassed by second hand prices, which is a fairly reliable indication of its giant killing capabilities.
Especially if you'd picked up one cheap about 20 years ago. Weren't they about 150 quid then?

Another PJ challange?

Love it. I could answer both.

First one would have to be Statement and the 500 series.

Second, CDI, brilliant player.

Especially if you'd picked up one cheap about 20 years ago. Weren't they about 150 quid then?
You could take your pick at that. I went and looked at one in Manchester for sale at £100-125 or so, listened to it, it was nasty so I didn't buy it. Garrard 401s were about £80-100 at the time, as they are now about the same as a Nait 2 used they might be seen as the better investment.

The Naim Aro is the item I'd have. I'd add an Armageddon to that but as a Geddon clone can be built for £40 I wouldn't be spending the extra cabbage on one in a pretty box.

Another PJ challange?

Hater : Statement

Lover : NAC 32.5, 72, CB Hicap, NAP 110, 160 both versions, Nait 1 and 2

advertisement

Back