advertisement

The African Rock & Roll Years, North Africa: BBC4 9PM Today

Question: (following discussion this evening, chez suzywong, over a litre of Cotes du Rhone........ Boubacar Traore playing on the hifi)

"Is Boubacar T related to Lobi T & Rokia T?"

Mrs suzywong discovered Rokia (& Ms Massi) a few months ago, and I picked up a BT album in Toulouse last week....bloody brilliant, superb guitar work!

Have you tried Ali Farka Toure (another find in Toulouse).

Other suggestions for aural delights from Africa eagerly awaited!

Been out tonight at my local folk club listening to some live music - rather melancholic in a shoe-gazing way, must be the time of year. Will try to see the Friday night repeat.

Andy

suzywong said:
"Is Boubacar T related to Lobi T & Rokia T?"
AFAIK, the answer is no. Lobi is Bambara, Bouabcar is Khassonke (?) while Rokia as the daughter of a diplomat shouldn't really be singing at all.

Fantastic series - I have some of the artists on CD (eg Orchestra Baoab and Manecas Costa).

One of the best music programmes I've enjoyed for years - thanks for posting the links.

Also all of you need to get

1. Ali Hassan Kuban -> Real Nubian: Cairo Wedding Classics
2. Lura -> Di Korpu Ku Alma

Both of whom have featured on this series. The best music you'll hear in a while :)

Dark Lord said:
1. Ali Hassan Kuban -> Real Nubian: Cairo Wedding Classics
I think there are more interesting albums out there (to me at any rate). I know that I keep banging on about this, but do try and find a copy of Musicians of the Nile
IN addition, there is the Moroccan version. Rachid would approve.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
blow fish said:
Which BT album do you have?

I picked up "The Best of Boubacar Traore" and AFT's "Niafunke". They were chosen at random from the selection at FNAC in Toulouse (got the AFT playing now through my brand spanking new Sennheiser HD650 headphones ..... stunning ..... and the music's pretty good as well!).

I go to Toulouse reasonably frequently, and FNAC are just around the corner from the hotel. They always have a good selection of north African music, so I'm normally sent off with a "wish list" from Mrs SW.

blow fish said:
Otherwise, I can see one of Joel's asbo's in the offing. No pressure, mind. :cool:
Bit harsh that. The offer to change Dev's title from Dark Lord to Dr Mono (or whatever he would like to choose) should he post still stands, though.

blow fish said:
In a previous thread, Joel did allude to your knowledge of Indian classical music. It would be excellent if you could post some recommendations on this. Perhaps just your favourite cds, if you don't want to do anything too elaborate. It would certainly help my music buying, and no doubt, other PFMers as well.

If you start a new thread, then other's could add their recommendations as well. Otherwise, I can see one of Joel's asbo's in the offing. No pressure, mind. :cool:

ok ok i give in - i'll give it some thought and i'll post my top ten (for this week anyway) indian classical bombay mix tomorrow. i played a cd last week at alex s's gathering and alexgerrard took a photo of the cover and sideshowbob is threatening to come round soon.....................omigod the pressure :)

all the best.
dev

Dark Lord said:
ok ok i give in - i'll give it some thought and i'll post my top ten (for this week anyway) indian classical bombay mix tomorrow.

About bloody time dude. :)

-- Ian

From a novelty 'stick it on without actually going to deep about it all etc etc' point of view, I actually rather like Mali Music by Damon Albarn. Had it on tonight whilst eating dinner with friends and it went down very well. So did the music.

Dark Lord said:
ok ok i give in - i'll give it some thought and i'll post my top ten (for this week anyway) indian classical bombay mix tomorrow.
Back from Lunch yet, Dev :) We're waiting...

advertisement

Back