advertisement

The African Music Thread

Whilst "Fela" - whose music is only tenuously African - has been mentioned in approximately every post from 1 to 89.

Yes, but that's not postin' the Teddy Ray Way™
I'll take Ballake Sissoko over Fela every time.

Fela isn't my bag either. I can't get enough of kora geniuses such as Ballake Sissoko & Toumani D.

Will have to check some of the you tube links and Ballake Sissoko when I get away from my work PC.

This is rather good too and well worth checking out if you like African jazz.

Of the Ethiopiques compilations, my fave is by far the 'groove' one. There's a track on there whose title translates as 'She stirs up covetousness' which, as well as being outrageously groovy, is a lovely way to imply that loads of blokes are are looking at his 'bird'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been getting into Celestine Ukwu and Philosophers National recently, from Nigera.

[youtube]-8JL_4C7JRs[/youtube]

Twins Seven Seven from the recording he made in Tokyo for King Records.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My first encounter with African music was this circa 1973

[youtube]B7wCEl-sx8M[/youtube]

complete with Roger Dean cover. It's aged very well compared to other records with Roger Dean covers : )

Also no mention as far as I can see of King Sunny Ade - back in the 80s hyped as an African Bob Marley - at least by Island records who were desperate to find an African Marley and didn't have Fela on their books.

Kevin

I listen to both quite happily. And to other Sissokos (well maybe not the footballer so much): Djelimadi, Tiecoro

Djelimadi

I'll be investigating that, thanks very much. I didn't know Toumani has a lil' brother.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ah yes, sorry. Read your message a bit too quickly. Doh.

One does get a bit confused with so many Diabates, Kouyates and Toures and Sissokos about. A bit like the great European musical dynasties of the 17-18th century (Bach, Couperin etc.).

PS: Sidiki was Toumani's father. The Cordes Anciennes is a bit of an old recording. Toumani's brother is Mamadou Sidiki. I tell you, it's just like seeing J.C Bach on a record and wondering which one of the tribe composed it.

PPS: according to my trusty Wikipedia, Mamadou Sidiki is of the 71st generation of kora players in his family.

PPPS: added a couple of links to the post above about Tiecoro, brother of Djelimadi. Generation 72 of the Diabate family is now ready too it seems (Madou's son, called Sidiki to make things simpler).

Also no mention as far as I can see of King Sunny Ade - back in the 80s hyped as an African Bob Marley - at least by Island records who were desperate to find an African Marley and didn't have Fela on their books.
Kevin

Man, this guy is even prolific than Fela. I don't really care for the Island period Sunny Ade. I much prefer the earlier pre 'New Beats' Ade where the music was folksier. In fact I am much intrigued by the very early Sunny Ade; must pick up some of those albums next time.

I suppose one could argue that Osibisa isn't really 'African' music.;)

I suppose one could argue that Osibisa isn't really 'African' music.;)

Agree - more African heritage mixed with a whole lot of other stuff - there's a Roland Kirk tune on Woyaya - but it was the first time I'd come across music of that type - several of Osibisa had been in bands in Africa throughout the 60s and the record went to 11 on the UK record charts. ( Thanks Wiki) I suppose in some ways it was close to what Blood Sweat and tears or even early Chicago were doing, but fusing jazz with African rather than R&B/Blues rhythms. Certainly not one for the purists....

I bought the record in my early teens and still play it now and again.

Kevin

PsB

Thanks very much for the clarification.
To add to my confusion Toumani has a son called Sidiki.
I've had to order a copy of Mali - Ancient strings, so thanks again for the recommendation.

Cheers - John

advertisement

Back