advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

If you can explain that racism, or homophobia etc are political issues over social ones, I am all ears. I am certainly baffled as to why the colour of someones skin or their sexuality is political, unless it has been utilised and weaponised to be so, which still doesn't actually make it political especially to those that can see the bigger picture, but it certainly can be problematic if people refer to it as, therefore supporting the oppressor.
If Nation States have laws that prohibit homosexual practices, or displays of sexuality in modes of dress, or immodesty by women, or denial of equal rights to women or to those of different sexuality or of different race or religion then by definition it is political and any overt condemnation by celebrities is a political act.

In the case of, say the US, where in some States the Police have a long history of killing black people, even though black people are supposed to be equal, then any overt condemnation by celebrities (c.f. Hamilton above) is a political act.

It is a social construct as well but people will believe what they like and I am not sure what can be done about that.

If Nation States have laws that prohibit homosexual practices, or displays of sexuality in modes of dress, or immodesty by women, or denial of equal rights to women or to those of different sexuality or of different race or religion then by definition it is political and any overt condemnation by celebrities is a political act.

In the case of, say the US, where in some States the Police have a long history of killing black people, even though black people are supposed to be equal, then any overt condemnation by celebrities (c.f. Hamilton above) is a political act.

It is a social construct as well but people will believe what they like and I am not sure what can be done about that.

Thats a shame, I was hoping for something a little more lateral and insightful, what you have wrote is all very generic and old fashioned, but it's a good example of where lies the problem.

I covered most of this in the post you are responding to. Race is not political. It may have been weaponised to be so by a regime but that still does not make it political if you oppose the oppressors attempt at control.

So if anything, one thing that can be done is begin to acknowledge things like race and sexuality not being political, and stop voicing it to be so. Once the tide begins to shift in programmed knowledge, opinions will begin to change and a bigger awareness and lack of acceptance of archaic constructs becomes almost natural, and that's when the real change in societies will begin. Will it be in my lifetime? doubtful, but as long as we stop repeating the same old same old, the youth will question more and more and act as a catalyst for that change.

There is nothing about Lewis's t shirt that is political, it is a voice of social injustice. What it does is strike fear in the oppressor , which considering what we have seen in F1 over the past year or two, the injustices, the comments, the actions, it is wholly a racist organisation and with its latest 'rule' change to silence the dissidents, it has proven itself to be even more so. The person leading this is literally hiding in plain sight, and it's a true representation of the control of society that money brings.

George Russell in Autosport today:

“We keep making these cars safer and safer, but obviously the heavier you make them when you have an impact it’s like crashing with a bus compared to a Smart Car.
You’re going to have a greater impact if you’re going the same speed with a car that weights 800-odd-kgs or over 900kgs at the start of a race, compared to one 15 years ago when they were at 650kg.”

So in ten years, we could conceivably have cars that are 50% more lardy than they were 15 years ago. And for what? When you consider how extremely fast these cars are through turns, would any of us rather be in a 650kg car from the late noughties, or a ton of techno numbness as we slide out of control towards barriers?
Together with WRC, I just can’t see how faster and safer cars have to equal much more mass. Especially as in our new EV world weight is an enemy. Shouldn’t they be setting a standard?

What a little gem this is. And just look how exposed his head is, with a helmet on, the roll ‘protection’ looks like it wouldn’t have done much at all.

James Vowles has just been announced as the new Team Principal at Williams. Wondering how this will turn out, hopefully, it will be a longer and more successful stay than Paddy Lowe's was.

James Vowles has just been announced as the new Team Principal at Williams. Wondering how this will turn out, hopefully, it will be a longer and more successful stay than Paddy Lowe's was.
I gave JV a job at BAR many, many years ago to develop race strategy models and apply them. Like many that I employed, they overtook me and became big names within F1 (not something that I wanted to achieve but also I do not have the skill set to do what any of them did!).

It will be interesting to see what happens there as they have finished, last, last, last, 8th (beating the 2 Ferrari engined teams who were hamstrung by Ferrari powerplant team breaking the rules the year before) and last.

I note the FIA are going all out to find ways of preventing Lewis Hamilton competing in F!

Bad enough that a driver of 'wrong' skin colour should win the damned thing seven times, but to allow him the opportunity to win his eighth is beyond the FIA pale.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...aking-political-statements-without-permission

Hamilton, and any other driver that speaks truth to power, will need permission from the FIA for any statements - political, religious(?), personal - whether they be verbal, written, or T-shirt (etc).

FIA are clearly as bad as the Tory Scum for blatent manipulation of the rules, in this case to preserve their interpretation of . . . er . . . neutrality. :confused::rolleyes:

'The FIA added a new clause regarding “the general making and display of political, religious and personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its statutes”.'

John

I note the FIA are going all out to find ways of preventing Lewis Hamilton competing in F!

Bad enough that a driver of 'wrong' skin colour should win the damned thing seven times, but to allow him the opportunity to win his eighth is beyond the FIA pale.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...aking-political-statements-without-permission

Hamilton, and any other driver that speaks truth to power, will need permission from the FIA for any statements - political, religious(?), personal - whether they be verbal, written, or T-shirt (etc).

FIA are clearly as bad as the Tory Scum for blatent manipulation of the rules, in this case to preserve their interpretation of . . . er . . . neutrality. :confused::rolleyes:

'The FIA added a new clause regarding “the general making and display of political, religious and personal statements or comments notably in violation of the general principle of neutrality promoted by the FIA under its statutes”.'

John

Yes totally agree, it doesn't take anymore than a few brain cells who has watched it all unfold over the past two years to put it all together, but sadly, the money talks.

It's all been very much directed at Lewis and any that come after him. Sadly, with a wealthy religious from a country of oppression now at the helm and a new owner focussing in on maximum revenue, the new wave of gammon supporters are more lucrative so it was only a matter of time.

I *just* hope that Mercedes can build a proper car this year and ensure that even with everything the FIA will continue to throw at him, he manages to get that 8th, sorry '7th' WDC and have him set in stone as the GOAT. They will hate it for sure, but I am not sure it will happen, especially with the RBR cheating that have put them ahead of the pack in development.

Slightly OT once again, but the build up to next weekend's Daytona 24hrs is looking interesting, and the race itself may well be the start of a new 'golden era' of sportscar racing as the convergence of IMSA and WEC rules attracts more and more manufacturers to the top class.

Slightly OT once again, but the build up to next weekend's Daytona 24hrs is looking interesting, and the race itself may well be the start of a new 'golden era' of sportscar racing as the convergence of IMSA and WEC rules attracts more and more manufacturers to the top class.
I wish I could ‘get into’ endurance racing. I’ve been to a few meetings over the years, and I just don’t find myself getting excited after the first few laps. Perhaps I’m still punishing myself for not going to Le Mans before they ruined the Mulsanne Straight.
I do, however, love many of the cars!

The F1 ‘helmet cam’ will be fitted to all twenty drivers’ helmets for every race this year. All 1.43 grammes of it.

advertisement

Back