advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Tyrrell won the 1971 championship with a team of 19 people – in total. The list of employees included Ken, his wife Norah (secretary/timekeeper/lap scorer) and Eric Baker (accountant). The rest, from Derek Gardner (design director) to Robin Coleman (transporter driver and racing mechanic), had done all that was necessary to build and run cars capable of winning seven of the 11 grands prix.

And another contrast to modern F1

Ronnie Peterson in his Lotus-Ford crossing the finishing line in 1973. The chequered flag man looks like he's dancing in crimplene suit! Note the photographer on the track too

A fun morning with the deckchairs on the Titanic being rearranged.

Ferrari had the best person to win in charge, he just needed to be a bit more ruthless with repeat poor performers making the same basic mistakes and needed a TD in place (as I explained earlier in the thread).

Now all these changes are moving people who have not lead teams to win in the past and they expect these people to lead the new team to win??

Tyrrell won the 1971 championship with a team of 19 people – in total. The list of employees included Ken, his wife Norah (secretary/timekeeper/lap scorer) and Eric Baker (accountant). The rest, from Derek Gardner (design director) to Robin Coleman (transporter driver and racing mechanic), had done all that was necessary to build and run cars capable of winning seven of the 11 grands prix.

Having JYS in the cockpit didn't do any harm.:)

I agreed with DSJ on most things but he had Jackie all wrong, imo.

Ferrari has confirmed the appointment of Frederic Vasseur as its new Formula 1 boss, taking over from Mattia Binotto.

Having JYS in the cockpit didn't do any harm.:)

I agreed with DSJ on most things but he had Jackie all wrong, imo.
THE DSJ, this one?

20d103dcd36369d44fd3155e33c24afa.jpg

The one on the left, naturally... Jenks was a great and knowledgeable commentator, also a man of some courage (anyone who races with his nose a couple of inches off rapidly-moving tarmac is clearly no shrinking violet, which is why Moss chose him to ride in 522 in that epic Mille Miglia). However, this produced a rather blasé view of the dangers of F1, a sort of "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" attitude. Wee Jackie was, if I remember the comment in Motor Sport correctly, "a beady-eyed little Scot", when he fought to make the sport safer. I can remember the letters columns of Motor Sport being full of comments on "chicken GP drivers" (probably written by Ford Anglia drivers). Thankfully, times have changed.

If you've never seen it, wee Jackie's fight for safety is well documented in the BBC's Grand Prix: the killer years.

If you've never seen it, wee Jackie's fight for safety is well documented in the BBC's Grand Prix: the killer years.

That’s the same JYS that carried on racing while Roger Williamson died in his upside down, burning car. Different times, I know, and I am fully aware of his work for road and race car safety, but that one incident doesn’t sit well with me. David Purley was the only driver to stop and at least try.

That’s the same JYS that carried on racing while Roger Williamson died in his upside down, burning car. Different times, I know, and I am fully aware of his work for road and race car safety, but that one incident doesn’t sit well with me. David Purley was the only driver to stop and at least try.
...and deservedly got the George Medal for it. Although, to be fair, many drivers apparently believed that it was Purley trying to extinguish his own car, having successfully got out of it.

...Although, to be fair, many drivers apparently believed that it was Purley trying to extinguish his own car, having successfully got out of it.

That’s something else that doesn’t sit easy with me. And drivers had all-round visibility back then:

Back in the day, I (with a small group) had a guided tour of the workshops. Found the photos recently and also Team Lotus.

The one on the left, naturally... Jenks was a great and knowledgeable commentator, also a man of some courage (anyone who races with his nose a couple of inches off rapidly-moving tarmac is clearly no shrinking violet, which is why Moss chose him to ride in 522 in that epic Mille Miglia). However, this produced a rather blasé view of the dangers of F1, a sort of "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" attitude. Wee Jackie was, if I remember the comment in Motor Sport correctly, "a beady-eyed little Scot", when he fought to make the sport safer. I can remember the letters columns of Motor Sport being full of comments on "chicken GP drivers" (probably written by Ford Anglia drivers). Thankfully, times have changed.

DSJ spent his last days in the BEN home in Sunninghill. It's a motor trade related place in stunning grounds and my late wife was a volunteer there. I too bought Motor Sport religiously.

That’s something else that doesn’t sit easy with me. And drivers had all-round visibility back then:

Can't watch it, because it requires me to log into YouTube, which I never do, but I suspect that it'll be the same horrifying footage as used in the aforementioned Grand Prix; the killer years. And I think that drivers concentrating on the job of driving very quickly would only get a glimpse of the car and see a driver trying to put it out, and they wouldn't see a lot in those tiny rear-view mirrors. IIRC, Purley was right behind the Williamson car and saw it happen, which is why, to his enormous credit, he jumped out to try to help.

advertisement

Back