advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Ferrari has a long history of disposing of folk who, in its eyes, haven't measured up. At least Binotto returned the team to winning ways, but there were too many failures in both equipment and team management.

Ferrari has a long history of disposing of folk who, in its eyes, haven't measured up. At least Binotto returned the team to winning ways, but there were too many failures in both equipment and team management.

True. It's a shame, I liked him and his style. He was a great engineer and I remember some surprise when he got the gig as he was not perceived as a leader but he did a very good job and so nearly managed it. He would have been best paced in the old technical director type of role I believe. Leaving the team leadership to another person more skilled in the politics and machination elements of the role. Binotto did manage this pretty well but his strength was in understanding the technical aspects in which he had few to match him IMO.

True. It's a shame, I liked him and his style. He was a great engineer and I remember some surprise when he got the gig as he was not perceived as a leader but he did a very good job and so nearly managed it. He would have been best paced in the old technical director type of role I believe. Leaving the team leadership to another person more skilled in the politics and machination elements of the role. Binotto did manage this pretty well but his strength was in understanding the technical aspects in which he had few to match him IMO.

Interesting perspective: I was under the may be erroneous impression that he was Head of Engineering and responsible for the flawed pull or was it push rod suspension concept and indeed the engine designs which never produced the required power or reliability without the outlawed oil burning technology
and as a result challenged Arrivabene for the top position rather than be forced out?

As I understand it he met his targets but unfortunately he stuck by the Strategic Director who made a lot of mistakes that cost the a lot of points.

He was promoted from being Technical Director 4 years ago but did not replace himself, which might have been a mistake as it would have left him trying to do 1 1/2 jobs.

Interesting perspective: I was under the may be erroneous impression that he was Head of Engineering and responsible for the flawed pull or was it push rod suspension concept and indeed the engine designs which never produced the required power or reliability without the outlawed oil burning technology
and as a result challenged Arrivabene for the top position rather than be forced out?

Pull rod is not inherently flawed, it just provides a different benefit vs penalty. Improved aero vs increased weight and or stress on some components. Red Bull and McLaren both used pull rod for 2022; seemed to work quite well for RB. Binotto's roots are in engineering and they did come up with some great projects and ideas, some close to illegality but all teams do this so I don't criticise him for it selectively. Arrivabene was a disaster in every way and Binotto was well liked in the team and the factory so initially I think his appointment was to calm the waters which he really did.

He protected the rest of the team and his team leaders from the politics supporting them and insulating them from the criticism but as Ian mentioned above, this hurt him.

Well, the end of last year based on the idea that this is the 2023 thread.

(?)

317024464_546120413567676_8251061178265461560_n.png

According to the Beeb, paddock rumour says it's going to be Alfa's Frederic Vasseur, who has run Leclerc in lesser formulae. Makes sense - brave man!

Not a great idea , they keep coming up with ideas to ruin F1 .I am sure a lot of core supporters may end up cancelling their Sky subscriptions !

Patrick Tambay, former Ferrari race winner has died at the age of 73.
Always remember Tambay's wicked sense of humour. When Senna was Renault-powered, he suggested that they might be team mates the following year. Senna nearly passed away on the spot - "B-but, you are French! You will get the best engines!"

This would be the end of my interest in F1.
What would be the point in a team competing, just to have a successful combination crippled? Might as well watch the BTCC lol.

A better option would be reverse grids - like in Stock Car racing, where the championship leaders start at the back. It make for plenty of overtaking.

advertisement

Back