advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

Value add to their respective starting positions was the point. Not that it matters much though.

When drivers are out of place on a scrambled grid, they often seem to be about where they belong by the end of the race.

When drivers are out of place on a scrambled grid, they often seem to be about where they belong by the end of the race.
“often seem to be about”., quite…it’s not an exact science so it’s not the only way to compare drivers. There are lots of other factors to take in account and about how starting positions impact finishing positions.

I don’t understand the Hamilton fanboy **** fest on here where he’s treated like a god

Maybe a quick look at his record pre and post F1 might help you get that. Having watched F1 since the days of Hill, Clark and Stewart I never thought a British driver would get near JS's record and for many more years I began to think I'd never see a Brit get a couple of WCs.

Conversely, I don't understand the British haters. Their support for other drivers with highly questionable attitudes, personalities and behaviours makes it even more mystifying. Given the way Alonso is performing in a better car, I wouldn't be too sure Hamilton has stopped adding to his collection of records yet. It's a great pity imo that the Mercs are so far off the pace, the summer into autumn 2021 was some of the best racing I've seen in years.

Great drivers with car set ups that produced different performance edges circuit to circuit, which is how it should be.

Maybe a quick look at his record pre and post F1 might help you get that. Having watched F1 since the days of Hill, Clark and Stewart I never thought a British driver would get near JS's record and for many more years I began to think I'd never see a Brit get a couple of WCs.

Conversely, I don't understand the British haters. Their support for other drivers with highly questionable attitudes, personalities and behaviours makes it even more mystifying. Given the way Alonso is performing in a better car, I wouldn't be too sure Hamilton has stopped adding to his collection of records yet. It's a great pity imo that the Mercs are so far off the pace, the summer into autumn 2021 was some of the best racing I've seen in years.

Great drivers with car set ups that produced different performance edges circuit to circuit, which is how it should be.

It's simply because Lewis is black.

Unconscious bias.

Have you always supported British drivers?
I've never had any Portuguese drivers to support so I've supported all sorts, mostly for their driving qualities but sometimes for their personality (including a brit named Mansel with 2 lls).

I've never had any Portuguese drivers to support so I've supported all sorts, mostly for their driving qualities but sometimes for their personality (including a brit named Mansel with 2 lls).
You’re probably too young to remember this guy:
Pedro LamyEdit

Lamy driving for Minardi at the 1996 San Marino Grand Prix
Pedro Lamy made his debut for Lotus at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix, replacing the injured Alessandro Zanardi for the final four races of the 1993 season.[5] Ahead of the fifth race of the 1994 season, Lamy was himself injured in a testing accident at Silverstone while trialling new technical regulations set out by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile, Formula 1's governing body, following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix several weeks earlier.[6] Lamy suffered broken legs and kneecaps in the crash and did not return until the 1995 season, when he raced for Minardi. He later became the first Portuguese driver to score a world championship point with a 6th-place finish at the 1995 Australian Grand Prix.[7] Following a second season with Minardi in 1996, Lamy left Formula One after 32 Grands Prix to compete in sports cars.[5]

I assume that was for his driving skills. :)

You’re probably too young to remember this guy:
Pedro LamyEdit

Lamy driving for Minardi at the 1996 San Marino Grand Prix
Pedro Lamy made his debut for Lotus at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix, replacing the injured Alessandro Zanardi for the final four races of the 1993 season.[5] Ahead of the fifth race of the 1994 season, Lamy was himself injured in a testing accident at Silverstone while trialling new technical regulations set out by the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile, Formula 1's governing body, following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix several weeks earlier.[6] Lamy suffered broken legs and kneecaps in the crash and did not return until the 1995 season, when he raced for Minardi. He later became the first Portuguese driver to score a world championship point with a 6th-place finish at the 1995 Australian Grand Prix.[7] Following a second season with Minardi in 1996, Lamy left Formula One after 32 Grands Prix to compete in sports cars.[5]

He's only one year older than me, his dad owned a car dealer not far from my secondary school. He never did much.
There was also Pedro Matos Chaves.

When LeClerc went off in .... FP2 or Qualifying, can't recall which, did others notice he was going nose first toward the barriers, and then turned 180 degrees to end up with the back end buried?

Am I alone in thinking he did this deliberately to avoid foobaring the front end?

When LeClerc went off in .... FP2 or Qualifying, can't recall which, did others notice he was going nose first toward the barriers, and then turned 180 degrees to end up with the back end buried?

Am I alone in thinking he did this deliberately to avoid foobaring the front end?
If it was deliberate, I suspect he would prefer the gearbox was smashed rather than his legs...

This was when I was really interested in F1. Ronny P sideways

344854306_920842845790148_4850535515257527112_n.jpg

If it was deliberate, I suspect he would prefer the gearbox was smashed rather than his legs...

The front of the tub is as strong as the rest. After Laffite’s crash on the first lap at Brands 37 years ago, the rules changed so that feet had to be behind the front axle line, and this allowed for far stronger carbon tubs. Perhaps he preferred the idea of not getting a sore neck, even with HANS, and bruises from straps.

It was a low speed impact, and gearbox damage is much more expensive than the nose structure given the number of gearbox cases is limited by the rules.

Also, if you look at the onboard, he steers in to the final rotation, which he wouldn't be doing if it were deliberate. I think the run off area had random and variable levels of grip, so which way you ended up facing was chance.

The front of the tub is as strong as the rest. After Laffite’s crash on the first lap at Brands 37 years ago, the rules changed so that feet had to be behind the front axle line, and this allowed for far stronger carbon tubs. Perhaps he preferred the idea of not getting a sore neck, even with HANS, and bruises from straps.

Too bad Indy Car racing didn't adopt similar standards in time to help Alex Zanardi.

advertisement

Back