advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

You're confusing me with someone who cares what you think.

So not fan of my posts then? ...Is it my skin color? or worse, because I'm not British??

And I saw that "troll" remark you deleted, what makes me a Troll and not just another guy like you with an opinion?

Other people in sport I find irritating:
Michael Schumacher
Lance Stroll
Patrick Viera
Roy Keane
Vinny Jones
John Mcenroe

And in comedy:
Lenny Henry
Michael Mcintyre
John Bishop

And in films:
Catheine Zeta Jones
Kiera Knightley
Jim Carrey
Will Smith

And in politics:
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
Diane Abbot
Theresa May
Matt Hancock
Victorian Dad
Priti Patel
Suella Braverman

The list obvs is much longer for politicians.

It's incorrect to insist we sports fans (and I am an F1 fan) should detach our perceptions of the personality from their achievements. And we should support someone becasue they won it 8 times? Not really. I loved Barry Sheene (he only won 2 I think?)...Kenny Roberts? Meh. And its obvious why. Except to unpleasant people like SteveS1, who has some hidden agenda that he will not reveal to me.

All I did was talk about who I might support this year and give perfectly human reason why I might not support others. The nastiness did not start with me. it started with SteveS1.

There are loads of people who think Lewis Hamilton is kind of ridiculous. I do too so I'm not supporting him. So what's the big deal? Why did SteveS1 not pull me up on me saying I don't like Wolff?

Other people in sport I find irritating:
Michael Schumacher
Lance Stroll
Patrick Viera
Roy Keane
Vinny Jones
John Mcenroe

And in comedy:
Lenny Henry
Michael Mcintyre
John Bishop

And in films:
Catheine Zeta Jones
Kiera Knightley
Jim Carrey
Will Smith

And in politics:
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
Diane Abbot
Theresa May
Matt Hancock
Victorian Dad
Priti Patel
Suella Braverman

The list obvs is much longer for politicians.

It's incorrect to insist we sports fans (and I am an F1 fan) should detach our perceptions of the perosnality from their achievements. And we should support someone becasue they won it 8 times? Not really. I loved Barry Sheene (he only won 2 I think?)...Kenny Roberts? Meh. And its obvious why. Except to unpleasant people like SteveS1, who has some hidden agenda that he will not reveal to me.

All I did was talk about who I might support this year and give perfectly human reason why I might not support others. The nastiness did not start with me. it started with SteveS1.

There are loads of people who think Lewis Hamilton is kind of ridiculous. I do too so I'm not supporting him. So what's the big deal? Why did SteveS1 not pull me up on me saying I don't like Wolff?

You’ll have to explain to us all what on Earth it is that Michael Schumacher does that irritates you.

So the FBI stated that "noose" was in the box in 2019, which became a racist thing in 2020 when Bubba was assigned to that box, which in 2022 is a racist thing that happened this year.

I thought he was a cheat. Drove dirty too many times.
Goodness me ! I rather think hard non yielding maybe a better description?…. Spain 96 ,spa both brilliant wet weather drives 7 world championships, a driver that left a winning team to spend 5 years reviving Ferrari a car that was known as the bus in 96 … you would have to go back to senna at donnington to see anything that equals those wet weather drives and probably the great German rudi carattola in the 30s before that .

Goodness me ! I rather think hard non yielding maybe a better description?…. Spain 96 ,spa both brilliant wet weather drives 7 world championships, a driver that left a winning team to spend 5 years reviving Ferrari a car that was known as the bus in 96 … you would have to go back to senna at donnington to see anything that equals those wet weather drives and probably the great German rudi carattola in the 30s before that .
Hard, non-yielding is generous! I'm not talking about supporting a driver because he is a genius. More becasue he is entertaining in other ways.

Sheene
Mamola
Hunt
Raikonnen

All of them amused me as well as impressed me with their skills. These were the ones I rooted for.

Every driver/team pushes the rules in F1, interpreting the rule book in sometimes mind contorting ways, blown diffusers, flexible floors, active suspensions, drivers taking more and more curb until the officials rule about it. F1 is not an "excuse me, no, after you" sport, it's battling at 10-10ths for every inch as there can only be one winner at the end of a race, you don't become world champion otherwise.

No doubting Shumi's, Lewis's & Max's skills at doing what it takes to win, like them or not.

Every driver/team pushes the rules in F1, interpreting the rule book in sometimes mind contorting ways, blown diffusers, flexible floors, active suspensions, drivers taking more and more curb until the officials rule about it. F1 is not an "excuse me, no, after you" sport, it's battling at 10-10ths for every inch as there can only be one winner at the end of a race, you don't become world champion otherwise.
I honestly don't remember Button or Raikonnen playing dirty.

Cue loads of youtube clips where they do

No doubting Shumi's, Lewis's & Max's skills at doing what it takes to win, like them or not.

MSC took it to a whole new level, including hitting cars deliberately for a WDC, one he got away with and one he didn't. Speaks to his character and it is one I didn't like. I don't deny his talent but he always went too far IMO and he really didn't need to.

Hard, non-yielding is generous! I'm not talking about supporting a driver because he is a genius. More becasue he is entertaining in other ways.

Sheene
Mamola
Hunt
Raikonnen

All of them amused me as well as impressed me with their skills. These were the ones I rooted for.
Yes I agree on that point and indeed the drivers who impressed me most apart from shumi,senna were mika hakenham, jochen rinte , sterling moss , and of course maybe the greatest Tazio Nuvalori .

MSC took it to a whole new level, including hitting cars deliberately for a WDC, one he got away with and one he didn't. Speaks to his character and it is one I didn't like. I don't deny his talent but he always went too far IMO and he really didn't need to.

Do you recall Prost/Senna?

Sheene
Mamola
Hunt
Raikonnen

Schwantz was my bike GP idol, mainly for his riding but he was a funny guy as well.

Do you recall Prost/Senna?

Yup, of course, not a fan of Senna or Prost either. Senna invented most of the professional foul driving tactics we see today, he was a bully on the track, give way or we crash with MSC and now VER taking on that mantle.

Oh sorry. ‘Was’ irritating. Ok.
He pushed the limits, as Senna did, and was single minded. But his driving was pretty damned good. Visibly faster through corners, which shocked me when I witnessed it. The rest were there to make up the numbers.

Yes I agree on that point and indeed the drivers who impressed me most apart from shumi,senna were mika hakenham, jochen rinte , sterling moss , and of course maybe the greatest Tazio Nuvalori .
I’ve never seen so many great names misspelt :)

Seriously, there are one or two people on this forum who dislike Lewis Hamilton for the darkest reason, it's as simple as that. There are huge numbers of 'fans' around the world who despise Lewis Hamilton because of his skin colour. This year, in the US, a racing driver of colour had a noose left in his pit garage.

So, don't pretend for one second that these people don't exist.

I try my best to be part of the solution. Former friends at work have disowned me because I support the anti-racism movement that Lewis Hamilton is a part of.

It's a strange world, F1. Full of extremes. We just didn't know about the racism until a black kid showed that he was, and is, a special talent and a very nice person.

We'll get there one day, I hope.

Indeed.

advertisement

Back