advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

It'll be interesting what perspective that helmet cam brings - that's if I decide to continue watching, a decision I have yet to make.

True, and I would not want to be the one behind the wheel from some of those bits shown.
I know the brain / eye of the driver will be 'seeing' it slightly differently to the viewer, but quite terrifying all the same.

I wish I could ‘get into’ endurance racing. I’ve been to a few meetings over the years, and I just don’t find myself getting excited after the first few laps. Perhaps I’m still punishing myself for not going to Le Mans before they ruined the Mulsanne Straight.
I do, however, love many of the cars!
I fell in love with it during the Ford v. Ferrari confrontation of the 1960s, and have remained a fan. There might not be wheel to wheel racing, but the machinery itself is fascinating and the fact that it has to last such a long time. I remember the heartbreak of Toyota when, on the very last lap in 2016, their car broke down. It was repaired, but, because it didn't complete the last lap in the stipulated time, it wasn't even classified as a finisher.

I'm looking forward to this coming season when Ferrari is back with an official entry in the top (hypercar) class for the first time in half a century:

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/hypercar

plus Peugeot and Porsche.

Battle begins on St. Patrick's Day at Sebring.

True, and I would not want to be the one behind the wheel from some of those bits shown.
I know the brain / eye of the driver will be 'seeing' it slightly differently to the viewer, but quite terrifying all the same.
Exactly.

The camera frame rate is the biggest problem as it is far too slow. To enable the eye and brain to integrate it much more like the driver would it needs to be at least 240 frames per second.

The second problem is that the body and brain deals with the vibration as it is all being experienced together, whereas a camera video just gives us the camera view without all the additional information.

Exactly.

The camera frame rate is the biggest problem as it is far too slow. To enable the eye and brain to integrate it much more like the driver would it needs to be at least 240 frames per second.

The second problem is that the body and brain deals with the vibration as it is all being experienced together, whereas a camera video just gives us the camera view without all the additional information.
As long as they use it as just another tool to show us footage from, it’ll be fine. What we don’t need is endless slo-mo footage from it when over-analysing a meaningless DRS overtake.

As long as they use it as just another tool to show us footage from, it’ll be fine. What we don’t need is endless slo-mo footage from it when over-analysing a meaningless DRS overtake.
Yes, even if they did record it at around 240 fps they would not be able to transmit it at that rate and very few people have a screen that can operate at that level. Playing it in slow motion does not show you what it actually looks like to the driver.

Paul di Resta & Johnny Herbert axed by Sky Sports for new season.

Will miss JH for sure, not unhappy to lose PdR, who added little imo.

I wouldn't be surprised to see di Resta resurface on F1TVPro. If Brundle's son can find employment there, PdR should be a shoe-in.

I wish I could ‘get into’ endurance racing. I’ve been to a few meetings over the years, and I just don’t find myself getting excited after the first few laps. Perhaps I’m still punishing myself for not going to Le Mans before they ruined the Mulsanne Straight.
I do, however, love many of the cars!
This year's crop:

advertisement

Back