advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s never going to win a driver’s championship, so it’s time he moved on. He doesn’t even seem to be much use against younger, new drivers.

Yeah as much as I like him and he was a great driver when at ‘that’ other team, he has definitely lost something when he moved to Mclaren.

Renault/Alpine do look to be possibly taking him back though.

Renault/Alpine do look to be possibly taking him back though.

Im sure he would add value, wherever he goes, but surely one of his many other interests will pull him away at some point.

So many excellent drivers over the years who also seemed like nice guys have suffered the also-ran tag being applied because they were team mates with legends. Still, not a bad way to pay the bills.

Im sure he would add value, wherever he goes, but surely one of his many other interests will pull him away at some point.

So many excellent drivers over the years who also seemed like nice guys have suffered the also-ran tag being applied because they were team mates with legends. Still, not a bad way to pay the bills.

He is still better than some drivers on the grid, Stroll for example, but when daddy owns the team..its always harder for independent drivers to maintain their seat. Daniels sponsorship deals may be useful to Renault, but I do always like to see new drivers getting a seat.

Personally I'd love to see him in a Ferrari, but I don't think there will be any movement there for a while. Not from the drivers anyway lol.

I am still quite puzzled about RIC. He is seriously quick, can overtake, decent in traffic and not easily intimidated. All the ingredients to be a top of the line driver and up until the McLaren he has demonstrated that. Whilst I am a huge fan of NOR, I thought RIC would lead that team and on balance be their best driver. He certainly started well last year and often used to nick a better result than NOR despite not qualifying as well which is always a sign of a top driver but was inconsistent and overall got fairly comfortably beaten by NOR. This year has been a disaster for him. NOR has definitely upped his game and starts races better (used to often lose places in the first couple of laps) but mainly has a handle on the car and can be a second a lap faster than RIC which is huge.

Honestly RIC is probably better somewhere else, with hindsight he should have stayed at Renault (now Alpine) where they built the whole team around him and loved him.

Agreed , Ric was bonkers to have left renault as they were building the team around him and the car was getting better race by race , maybe Mclaren paid him big bucks and that is why they are not that happy with him !

On another front there is much chat about Occon also being another reason for Alonsos departure ,no teamate has enjoyed driving with him as he is far too selfish and overly aggressive with them . I was certainly acting like a *wat in the last race .Alonso helped him out by backing up competitors in several races and he would expect some gratitude

Great interview with Lewis in this months Vanity Fair magazine by my colleague Chris

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...b5defe-7243-4988-8283-0e375e4a1ccf_popular4-1

“You see things start to unfold,” he says, remembering, “and my worst fears came alive. I was like, there’s no way they’re going to cheat me out of this. There’s no way. That won’t happen. Surely not.”

092022-LewisHamilton-tout.jpg

The "laughing about Ferrari's hard tyre"clip showed an old man next to two fitter young men, and we have seen many images like that this year. He was made for winning but when Mercedes develops a winning car again, George will be the next champion imo.

The "laughing about Ferrari's hard tyre"clip showed an old man next to two fitter young men, and we have seen many images like that this year. He was made for winning but when Mercedes develops a winning car again, George will be the next champion imo.

No one can last forever, biology and all that, but the legacy that you leave as your history can be more important than a few more world championships. When you've broken pretty much every record there is in a sport, handing the reins to a younger gifted and equally as humble driver such as George will be a beautiful transition to retirement.

Last edited:
No one can last forever, biology and all that, but the legacy that you leave as your history can be more important than a few more world championships. When you've broken pretty much every record there is in a sport, handing the reigns to a younger gifted and equally as humble driver such as George will be a beautiful transition to retirement.

There is another record within reach, first driver of 300+ F1 starts to win a GP ought to be on - if Mercedes can match the Red Bull's performance sometime soon.

The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkola
Makes me want to shake hands with the whole of Finland
But the horrible sincerity of Miriam Stoppard
Makes me want to go out and commit mass murder

It's interesting looking at the McMurtry car go up the hill at Goodwood how much innovation has been stifled in the later years of F1 (the Brabham fan car a good example), there seemed a period where new ideas were being developed and tried all the time, i know its partly done for safety and to level the playing field that the FIA rule book has to be adhered to, but i wonder where the cars would be now if the regulations were less.

For anyone with access to the Financial Times, the latest "Lunch with the FT" guest is Toto Wolff. Interesting stuff.

Not F1, but a famous race I just came across - the finish of the 1969 Le Mans 24 Hours in which the legendary GT40 chassis 1075 beat a Porsche 908 by around 100 metres after 24 hours' racing:

1075 is one of only 4 cars ever to have won Le Mans twice.This was the first race in which 917s participated, but all broke down, the last in the lead with 3 hours to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back