advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you, but the Aston dosent seem to have anything in it for Alonso to extract, its not a tricky car like the Merc, it just seems a bit crap. But yes agree, Alonso is definitely more of a dog fighter.

I am definitely happy Alonso is staying in F1, he has certainly been great to watch this year.

Agree the AM is a bit of a dog. I am not a fan of Stroll (owner) I think it is a vanity project for him and I don't believe he is passionate about the sport, just the image and potential business gains. ALO has been tempted by a big pay packet I suspect and if he cannot get into a top line car again, does not care what car he is in just loves racing for racings sake.

Wonderful investm... sorry, car. Better value than an F1 team too. I'm looking forward to Alonso doing his usual stuff and fixing it so Stroll snr and jnrb never speak again. Joking but he can cause trouble.

Oh. I don't know - there's only one of these, IMHO the most gorgeous racing car ever made:

and Lawrence Stroll owns it. To me, that indicates considerable passion.

Buying pretty things is no indication of passion, just a good eye or good advice.

Maybe I am wrong, I saw a documentary about him a while back and he has the CEO/Leader air about him for sure. Not sure I detected passion about AM or anything except business. I am no C suite person but deal with them routinely, my SVP owned a Pagani Zonda because his IFA told him it would appreciate, it did and he made half a million on it, drove it twice!

Alpine have a pretty decent car at the moment so not really sure why Alonso would move as surely better to drive a competitive and pretty sure he would be good enough for an extension to a contract . He may be paid more at Aston but probably does not need the money and I would imagine Stroll would be a pain to work for , but then again Alonso can be a pain to work with !

297110670_3937881309769355_5834362618375579150_n.jpg

Has there been any chat from Ferrari fans? I generally don't know many and havent noticed much on various forums, but there must be some sympathisers out there, I'd love to hear their defence/justifications :)

Has there been any chat from Ferrari fans? I generally don't know many and havent noticed much on various forums, but there must be some sympathisers out there, I'd love to hear their defence/justifications :)

I used to know a rabid Ferrari fan although I think he was more of a MSC fan really. He is not returning my calls currently ;-)

Just got sent a link to this, I am dying

I remember Ferrari saying at the beginning of the season they hoped to be competitive, win a few races and be ready for a serious title challenge next year. Arguably they are well on the road to achieving that as they have a competitive car and likely will next year. What they need to do is re-develop the front-running competitive mindset and expertise that Merc and RB have. They haven't really had it for some years now, arguably they had the best car over the season a few years back but Hamilton with Merc beat them and Vettel to the Championship, going back further Vettel and RB beat them and Alonso a few years before that, all because they didn't get the operational-strategy side of things working right.

Iñaki Rueda was appointed as head of strategy in 2104 by James Allison who did not understand race strategy or race strategy toolset development (but could spin you a fine set of words and probably should have been a technical poet). Interestingly even though James Allison left later in 2014 (I think), Iñaki Rueda has continued to be promoted or have grade inflation make him Strategic Director etc.

During 2014 Ferrari switched from the best strategy toolset to an Excel spreadsheet as Rueda declared the old toolset to be not good enough... The previous toolset had been developed by a team of people who had been led by Neil Martin, who joined Ferrari in January 2011, after Ferrari made a poor strategic call during the 2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and lost the world championship.

In terms of developing race strategy (and all but for very simple maths models) Excel is a bad choice as it is really a data manipulator and at some point you need to use some serious maths which may (if it is, it will be very slow) or may not available in Excel. And Excel code is just plain hard to read which makes it an even worse choice. So engineers will choose Matlab (not my choice but a big step up from Excel) and then it becomes a choices of C#, C++ (and future flavours) where the development environment (editor, pre code assessor, compiler etc) are superb and you have access to an enormous amount of very high quality mathematical libraries.

I used to calculate average grid and end of race postilion for Ferrari drivers to demonstrate how effective these tools were, but nowadays it is blindingly obvious. And I am not feeling well enough to do anything like that and make sure that it is correct for the previous 13 years.

Great insight again by Ian W , I fail to understand why Ferrari cannot wise up to what a mess they are making of things , nearly everyone knows the strategy team are very poor and they need sacking ,most people on this forum would make better calls ! Pit stop crew not great either !

From the brief interviews with Binotto I saw after the Hungarian (and iirc other recent races) there is no sense that they are owning their strategy calls, or seem to have any urgency to change their approach. Basically he just seems to accept they effed it up, that's racing, what can you do?

This whole Alpine affair is very messy - Alonso is such a chaos grenade. He's trolling them badly, but still has to work with them for the rest of the year!

I hope Piastri hasn't shot himself in the foot with his social media rebuttal - he'd better have a water-tight contract with McLaren in his back-pocket already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back