advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not aware of any female race engineers in F1. I suspect that this is is in part due to the path into race engineering being from areas that have been male dominated and as race engineers need experience, race engineering will lag behind other areas, listed below.

But I am aware of many female race strategy engineers, some female vehicle performance engineers, some female aerodynamicists, some female design engineers etc. Still a long way to go to achieve parity, but at least change is underway.

I saw the 1.5 litre supercharged BRM v12 either at Shelsley Walsh or Prescott a few years back an awesome howl, I'd love to see the Auto Unions too.

If you can play this through some big speakers, please do. This is why electric race cars hold no interest for me

Would love to see that car again with Hans at the wheel. Thats in official 'hill climb' mode with the double rear wheels then.
Stood at the side of that when it starts up is something you do not forget in a hurry. Seem to remember Nick Mason driving its twin on the same day at Goodwood (single rear wheels) Cant be sure what I prefer - that bark or the 2.5L BRM V16. That thing can iduce deafness within seconds if they start the damned thing behind you without notice...
That being said, 'The Beast of Turin' is something else.

Would love to see that car again with Hans at the wheel. Thats in official 'hill climb' mode with the double rear wheels then.
Stood at the side of that when it starts up is something you do not forget in a hurry. Seem to remember Nick Mason driving its twin on the same day at Goodwood (single rear wheels) Cant be sure what I prefer - that bark or the 2.5L BRM V16. That thing can iduce deafness within seconds if they start the damned thing behind you without notice...
That being said, 'The Beast of Turin' is something else.
The BRM V16 is 1.5 litre….

Interesting comments at the bottom of that BBC article where Otmar Szafnauer says he has no intention of leaving Aston Martin.

Was he pushed or has he the Alpine move already fixed up.

Interesting comments at the bottom of that BBC article where Otmar Szafnauer says he has no intention of leaving Aston Martin.

Was he pushed or has he the Alpine move already fixed up.
Aston really under performed in 2021.

And it maybe that as far as Stoll was concerned Aston massively under performed as he had invested lots of money, grown the team, taken as much Merc performance as possible and yet dropped from 4th (195 points) in 2020 to 7th (77 points) in 2021.

I predicted that this would happen some time ago as something is not right at Aston if despite all that investment across the board, the team drops back so much. And Martin Whitmarsh was recruited to oversee everything, i.e the future.

Laurence Stroll is learning that it takes much more than money and blind faith in your son's driving ability to improve an F1 team. As has been written here before by those in the know getting the team structure right is difficult and nuanced. Williams and McClaren have demonstrated that all too well over a number of years.
For what it is worth I wasn't surprised by the drop in performance of Aston.

Aston really under performed in 2021.

And it maybe that as far as Stoll was concerned Aston massively under performed as he had invested lots of money, grown the team, taken as much Merc performance as possible and yet dropped from 4th (195 points) in 2020 to 7th (77 points) in 2021.

I predicted that this would happen some time ago as something is not right at Aston if despite all that investment across the board, the team drops back so much. And Martin Whitmarsh was recruited to oversee everything, i.e the future.
Wasn't the Aston (along with the Mercedes) affected most by the rule changes being low rake designs though? It took Merc till the last 3rd of the Championship to get on top of the new rules with their car. Aston don't have the capability of Mercedes to do that so suffered for the whole season.

Wasn't the Aston (along with the Mercedes) affected most by the rule changes being low rake designs though? It took Merc till the last 3rd of the Championship to get on top of the new rules with their car. Aston don't have the capability of Mercedes to do that so suffered for the whole season.
Whilst Stoll saved the team a few years ago, he made some decisions which have contributed to what happened this year, by deciding to ignore the engineering team and deciding that copying everything that Mercedes did was the best way forwards. That worked for Racing Point in 2020, but there were consequences for future cars when the rules change.

For the 2020 season the Racing Point engineering team wanted to continue to work on the high rake car as in their view, it had greater aero performance capability. But Stroll wanted the low rake Merc concept on the Aston so the aero team had to change approach completely.

Being able to copy an existing car with constant aero rules worked very well for 2020. But worked badly in 2021 where the rule changes, as you have overviewed, impacted much more on low rake cars. As the Aston aero team had not been developing the low rake car for years and years, they were always going to struggle to find a solution to their aero problems, and finished 7th.

As a side note, it is clear that high or low rake aero can work, but as an aero team, you need to fully understand your approach, just copying another team leaves you in a weak position when the rules change.

Whilst Stoll saved the team a few years ago, he made some decisions which have contributed to what happened this year, by deciding to ignore the engineering team and deciding that copying everything that Mercedes did was the best way forwards. That worked for Racing Point in 2020, but there were consequences for future cars when the rules change.

For the 2020 season the Racing Point engineering team wanted to continue to work on the high rake car as in their view, it had greater aero performance capability. But Stroll wanted the low rake Merc concept on the Aston so the aero team had to change approach completely.

Being able to copy an existing car with constant aero rules worked very well for 2020. But worked badly in 2021 where the rule changes, as you have overviewed, impacted much more on low rake cars. As the Aston aero team had not been developing the low rake car for years and years, they were always going to struggle to find a solution to their aero problems, and finished 7th.

As a side note, it is clear that high or low rake aero can work, but as an aero team, you need to fully understand your approach, just copying another team leaves you in a weak position when the rules change.
Was Stroll just looking for a quick fix then by copying Mercedes? I know it's his team and money but he does come across as someone who's a my way or the highway kind of guy. Guess it's hard to argue with someone who's become successful enough to buy an F1 team!

Was Stroll just looking for a quick fix then by copying Mercedes? I know it's his team and money but he does come across as someone who's a my way or the highway kind of guy. Guess it's hard to argue with someone who's become successful enough to buy an F1 team!
Yep. And he’s probably noticed that the history of F1 is littered with deflated egos :)

He certainly was.

There have been so many F1 buy in failures along the way that you would think that he would have done some research instead of assuming that he knew better!

No matter how good a businessman you are elsewhere, does not mean that it reads across to F1 (there are many, many more failures than successes over the past 40 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back