Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I was reinforcing your opinion. Drive to Survive is a drama series for the now moment and won't stand the test of time.

tiggers likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW pfm Member

I enjoy watching it as I have worked with quite a few of the people shown, some I have even recruited over the past 30+ years. Great to see them go on and achieve more than me.

It has done a lot for F1 around the world even if they have modified timelines and made more of a story than is real in some areas.

Hoopsontoast, lAmBoY, sean99 and 3 others like this.
  3. flutteringwow

flutteringwow I am a sound quality evaluation device

4. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

R.I.P. 'Quick Vic' Elford. Very few opportunities in F1, none of them competitive, but he was bloody quick in anything with four wheels.
    'Reflections on a Golden Age in Motorsports' is well worth reading, if you can find a copy.

Tony Lockhart and tiggers like this.
  5. Barry123

Barry123 pfm Member

Don’t think I’ve ever been so excited at the start of a new season

6. IanW

IanW pfm Member

With so many unknowns and the grid likely to change around a bit, this has to be a really interesting season to watch.

tiggers and Barry123 like this.
  7. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

The best thing with Drive to Survive is not to take it too seriously ,obviously edited and manipulated for entertainment rather than fact . Max is very sensible to not have anything to do with it ,why take the risk of someone making something out of nothing . It does however seem to be getting new viewers for F1 which is a good thing . The latest series not so good IMO as too much of the soap opera element in it .However still quite enjoyed watching it but FF some bits !

sean99 likes this.
  8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Ocon’s side pod just disintegrated!

9. flutteringwow

That's what happens when you get your carbon fibre from Alibaba to save a few quid

MartinC likes this.
  10. Enrae8

Enrae8 pfm Member

It may be better to advertise itself as a fictitious drama with no connection to F1

F1 CEO Domenicalli - “If a driver refuses to participate because he is not being presented as he wants, we will talk about it constructively,” the Italian added. “‘Tell us how you want to be presented and we’ll find a way’.”

11. Enrae8

Enrae8 pfm Member

12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

No surprises about who’s on top and as I said a while back, Max & RB are going to walk this title race.

13. markvdv

markvdv pfm Member

Russell had trouble hiding his smiles while sandbagging

14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Or not...

15. flutteringwow

Bet Bottas has a little smirk on :)

Curtis likes this.
  16. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Nice to see Ferrari up there & Mercedes on the back foot.
    Sainz, Leclerc & Maximus mixing it up at the front could get interesting.
    Exciting times.

17. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Mercedes will unlock the potential soon enough. While they’re doing that, Ferrari and the yucky poison vendors could well be sharing points rather than one of them streaking away.

Eyebroughty and flutteringwow like this.
  18. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Quite enjoyed that. Those cars are beautiful under the lights at night. All of 'em. Think my fave is the Alfa Tauri. Gorgeous looking thing.

That Ferarri looked planted during testing the other week.

Forza. About bloody time!

19. IanW

IanW pfm Member

Looks like Ferrari have improved their powerplant as well as the vehicle handling compared to its competition, and in particular to Mercedes.

Ferrari engined cars 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 12th and 15th. For teams that finished 3rd, 9th and 10th in the Constructors in 2021, that is a very good improvement (they claimed before going racing that their engine was back), if they can make it stick. Complicated a bit by Sauber having BOT who was faster than Lewis at times and definitely faster than Kimi and Antonio, and ZHO who is in his first F1 qualifying session. And Haas not developing their car last year to put all their efforts into this years car and having Kevin driving for them this year who is clearly faster than MAZ.

Merc engined cars 4th, 9th, 13th, 14th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th. For teams that finished 1st, 4th, 7th and 8th in the Constructors in 2021 that is a big drop off in performance. Complicated a bit by VET being replaced by HUL and RUS making a mistake on his fast lap and so not being just behind Lewis as he had been throughout the weekend.

The aero rule changes will have had a large effect on performance and so until that settles down (teams copy others, develop new ideas and bring mods to the track) it will be difficult to say how the engine situation has changed with any certainty.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ferrari seem well back on form despite having forgotten what colour red their cars are. Interesting that Mercedes turned up in a bouncy castle. Not quite sure who some of the other teams/drivers are now.