advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you watch/know other racing than F1?

I first went to a motor race in about 1969. I’ve followed and been involved in many types of motor sport. I had an interview with an F1 team. I’ve photographed, as a press photographer, a few meetings up to FIA GT racing. From lawn mowers to Top Fuel dragsters to F1 and most stuff in between (in the U.K.), I’ve seen it.

Last edited:
Here's my wish list for the 2022 season:

1) No tyre changes during red flagged stoppages
2) No pit stops during VSC or safety car episodes unless your car is damaged from the event that caused the safety car
3) No direct verbal communication from the teams to race control
4) No saying '"If you are a Sky Q or Sky Glass customer..." if you are a commentator
5) No zooming in on Jos Verstappen's nose while the race is going on
6) Actually showing cars other that the race leader crossing the finish line

There, and I didn't even list 'a race director with balls...'

^^ Point 1 and 2, you read my mind.

It makes a mockery of safety with all the cars diving in at once, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Tyre changes timing is still an important part of team racing.

I first went to a motor race in about 1969. I’ve followed and been involved in many types of motor sport. I had an interview with an F1 team. I’ve photographed, as a press photographer, a few meetings up to FIA GT racing. From lawn mowers to Top Fuel dragsters to F1 and most stuff in between (in the U.K.), I’ve seen it.

Nice history, but than it is hard for me to understand why you do not see that F1 needs a big change.
And I do not understand why one need to be fan of sth to participate in conversation.
I am fan of all motorsports, but after today's race, it hard to be a fan of F1.

Nice history, but than it is hard for me to understand why you do not see that F1 needs a big change.
And I do not understand why one need to be fan of sth to participate in conversation.
I am fan of all motorsports, but after today's race, it hard to be a fan of F1.
The rules are changing big time. See my first post. And they’re changing again in a few years time.
Here’s a challenge: name a motorsport that has everything nailed: close racing, flat out racing all the way, engineering excellence is rewarded, high speed, big names, worldwide coverage, increasing interest from new national markets and younger age groups, increasing interest from women.

It’s not easy.

All top motorsport is very tightly regulated, rule books are thick, nothing is perfect.

The rules are changing big time. See my first post. And they’re changing again in a few years time.
Here’s a challenge: name a motorsport that has everything nailed: close racing, flat out racing all the way, engineering excellence is rewarded, high speed, big names, worldwide coverage, increasing interest from new national markets and younger age groups, increasing interest from women.

It’s not easy.

All top motorsport is very tightly regulated, rule books are thick, nothing is perfect.

Changes are too little. Many big brands do not want to be involved in F1, many like Hass or Williams will struggle financially another year.

F1 is not 'flat out all the way' anymore, it was when Rene Arnoux was racing. What F1 drivers do those days is managing pace and tyres. Stupid FIA policy introduced after they abolished refuelling to 'improve racing'. Not to mention it generates a lot of waste on track, and off track. Not too good for environment.

Challenge? Easy: MotoGP :) Much better close fast racing. All what you want plus no politics or cheating by riders or officials.

Best racing in cars you have in Austrialian V8 Supercars those days. Have a look, couple days ago:

Endurance racing is also much better, but hard to watch due long races.
There is much more, but not covered on TV and not promoted so hard as F1.
F1 paddock are saying for years now, F2 races are often more interesting to watch than F1.

Nothing is perfect, but when officials are involved in results of championship every racing fan should feel cheated.

F1 is not 'flat out all the way' anymore, it was when Rene Arnoux was racing. What F1 drivers do those days is managing pace and tyres. Stupid FIA policy introduced after they abolished refuelling to 'improve racing'. Not to mention it generates a lot of waste on track, and off track. Not too good for environment.

They only had refueling for the last half of Rene Arnoux' F1 career.

@kenniGT

You missed my point, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough… long day.

If you’re relying on the days of Arnoux for tales of racing, I think you’d better leave F1 alone, and not post here about why you don’t like it.

It’s very easy to start your own thread about a subject you like, so go for it!

You told me second time to go away and do not participate. That is not nice.
Those who create topics do not own them, and do not choose who can write in them. You would need to have this written in forum Terms and Rules and added some type of banning possibility to achieve that. Tony the Admin is boss here, but xenforo engine does not give option to ban someone from a topic. I know as I have forum build on xenforo engine. You can ban someone from whole forum only. One would need to build some accounts types with special privileges with access to folders and switch manually from admin panel to block access to whole forum areas, when some topic originator is not happy. No admin would go for that.

@kenniGT

I’m not telling you to do anything. I’m suggesting that this isn’t the thread for you, maybe, and that as a fellow member you can start your own thread/s about what you do and don’t like. ‘Thread-crapping’ isn’t appreciated. Already, our disagreement has dominated this new thread. No more replies on this from me.

A minor point, but tyre changes are allowed when the race has been red flagged, in part at least, for safety reasons. Typically a red flag is because there is so much damage to the track that the marshals need time to clear it. It is therefore likely that drivers have driven over car debris and may have punctures or damaged the tyre such that it will delaminate after further use.

The rule is the same for everyone and strategically averages out over the whole season.

Surely the red flag should have the same rules as a safety car, or is it yellow flags? that the drivers should keep the same distance between them if they remain on track in the race, or as happens yesterday the outcome can be tainted.

Changes are too little. Many big brands do not want to be involved in F1, many like Hass or Williams will struggle financially another year.

Challenge? Easy: MotoGP :) Much better close fast racing. All what you want plus no politics or cheating by riders or officials.

Best racing in cars you have in Austrialian V8 Supercars those days. Have a look, couple days ago:

Endurance racing is also much better, but hard to watch due long races.
There is much more, but not covered on TV and not promoted so hard as F1.
F1 paddock are saying for years now, F2 races are often more interesting to watch than F1.

Nothing is perfect, but when officials are involved in results of championship every racing fan should feel cheated.

I will bite on this :

F1 has never been flat out all the way with the possible exception of the refuelling years but the problem being these were some of the most boring races with the least overtaking due to it being a pure qualy speed meritocracy where the fastest qualy car was on pole and due to 2,3 or 4 sprints with refuelling they would stay ahead. For most of the time in F1 teams have needed to balance qualy speed and race speed as seen in Abu Dhabi this weekend. It allows for different car setup approaches and both approaches to have benefits. Drivers have always managed tyres, fuel and brakes, it is part of the skill set and some are better than others.

MotoGP is awesome and great watching as the rider really makes a difference and it is much easier to see what they are doing; but do not be so sure it is politics and dodgy behaviour free! Plenty of skullduggery over the years. What you don't get are riders taking other riders out as that can kill or seriously maim. Bikes will always be easier to have lots of position changes due the the size of them.

Touring cars whether Aussie, German or British are great fun and I have watched hundreds of rounds live and on TV over 30 years. It is blue collar racing, wham bam thank you mam, not sophisticated and plenty of contact with great personalities. It is not F1 and I do not want it to be. I don't watch F1 for wheelbanging style racing but more strategy and excellence from the drivers, I admire precision in drivers in BTCC etc but ultimately you need to stick the boot in. VER would do very well in Touring cars I think ;-)

Enduro - Are you kidding, the most boring racing of all time. It's a reliability run even now; might as well race against the clock rather than other cars. It can be fun to attend and enjoy the atmosphere but a wheel to wheel car race it is not.

Plenty of other forms of motor sport available on TV but you probably need to subscribe to sports channels in some cases (MotoGP). I have watched Ginetta cup, BTCC, Rallycross, WRC, F2 as well as F1.

F1 big problem is there is so much money involved with it now (and for a while) so what is regarded as a minor incident in any other series has such huge financial implications you end up with lawyers involved and political lobbying etc. I am no fan of the legal option but as a HAM/Merc fan I am struggling with the FIA interpretation of the rules and sympathise with them appealing. Equally my sense is that RB and VER were just ahead this year but for some luck would have wrapped up the WDC a race back so this is not a case of the season being stolen but the last race was certainly stolen from Mercedes.

All seats were sorted a little while ago, so here they are:

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton George Russell

Ferrari: Charles Leclerc Carlos Sainz

Red Bull: Max Verstappen Sergio Perez

McLaren: Daniel Ricciardo Lando Norris

Alpine: Fernando Alonso Esteban Ocon

AlphaTauri: Pierre Gasly Yuki Tsunoda

Aston Martin: Sebastian Vettel Lance Stroll

Alfa Romeo: Valtteri Bottas Guanyu Zhou

Haas F1: Mick Schumacher Nikita Mazepin

Williams: Alex Albon Nicholas Latifi

It’s a shame Piastri didn’t get an automatic upgrade to the big league. Surely he deserved this. Mind you I guess 21 into 20 won’t go unfortunately.

An intense and exciting season of F1 and all people do is moan, anyway.

How much are the bigger wheels going to knock off the lap times compared to the 13inchers, a couple of seconds? When does testing start?
I hope Ian's wrong and another team has got a car of similar performance to the Merc next year (and a driver to match), no good if one Team dominates.

An intense and exciting season of F1 and all people do is moan, anyway.

I don't think anyone has said a word against the excitement or intensity of the season, indeed it's been a blast. But many people do have a problem that it was spoiled by an absurdly contrived finish - presumably you don't. Would that change if a different driver had a race taken from them and gifted to someone who was nowhere near them with a couple of laps left?

If 2022 is to have any credibility, the chance of recurrence of anything like it must go.

Would have it been as exciting to see the race end under a safety car? not really, would it have been fairer, possibly. I would have liked to see Lewis win.
I'm sure Lewis will come back next year even stronger and whatever people think his legacy is much bigger than 7 F1 titles, might be 8 titles next year if Ian is right about the car development...unless George Russell throws a spanner in the works!

Never mind a spanner, I hope George has an entire tool kit to throw around as he wants.
It could really liven the series up.
I had high hopes for Valterie, which unfortunately never really materialised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back