advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to walk over to a young lady in a two seater sports car who pulled up right next to it in the waiting line to enter the hill, and suggest to her that she may probably be best to move back a fair few feet, or lose her blonde hair when it started up..

Laguna Seca?

Also has the benefit of no discussion of where the track limits are. When you are off, you are off with a big puff of dust. Even better, you aren't stuck and can commence.

Well not in the cork screw, as Marcus Ericsson and Josef Newgarden learnt during this years quali!

Good Afternoon All,

Things change as times move on, the new power units aren't exactly underpowered and it is racing we're watching - it's just less noisy than it was!!

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Things change as times move on, the new power units aren't exactly underpowered and it is racing we're watching - it's just less noisy than it was!!

Regards

Richard
If there was a PFM award for stating the obvious…

Pretty much everyone who experienced the sprint-tingling sound of the V8s and V10s at full throttle is completely turned off by these power units. Simple as that. It’s a shame, because at their core is a racing V6, which can be quite musical.

But hey, ‘Road car relevance’ in a carbon fibre, single seater, on treadless tyres, wings front and rear, driver in flame resistant overalls and shoes and a helmet, engine does a few thousand miles if you’re lucky, gearbox the same, but it’s all road car relevant!

Good Afternoon All,

Regards

Richard

I've been at track days where road cars that passed MOT wasn't allowed because they made to much noise. The modern world is truly up side down.

If there was a PFM award for stating the obvious…

Pretty much everyone who experienced the sprint-tingling sound of the V8s and V10s at full throttle is completely turned off by these power units. Simple as that. It’s a shame, because at their core is a racing V6, which can be quite musical.

But hey, ‘Road car relevance’ in a carbon fibre, single seater, on treadless tyres, wings front and rear, driver in flame resistant overalls and shoes and a helmet, engine does a few thousand miles if you’re lucky, gearbox the same, but it’s all road car relevant!

In the old days there where at least some relevance between the sponsorship on the cars and the fact that there where drivers who actually smoked ;)

Thats a proper beauty, not seen/heard that before might be my new fav bike sound

I’ve given up thinking I’ve heard every engine. Something somewhere is lurking, waiting.

“Wow! Dad! That ev sounds incredible! That sound will live with me forever!”

- said no kid ever, and probably never will.

I’ve given up thinking I’ve heard every engine. Something somewhere is lurking, waiting.

“Wow! Dad! That ev sounds incredible! That sound will live with me forever!”

- said no kid ever, and probably never will.

Is there a point in this posting???? Seriously. EV's are setting records now and, as the technology improves, will be breaking more. Time to move on.

Regards

Richard

Is there a point in this posting???? Seriously. EV's are setting records now and, as the technology improves, will be breaking more. Time to move on.

Regards

Richard
For those who like EVs, they’re welcome to them (Edit to add: I mean that in a good way). I doubt I’ll take time out of rearranging my sock drawer to watch any EV race, ever. For me it would be as interesting as a Which? magazine tumble dryer shoot-out. I’ll be sticking with the internal combustion engines, powered by petrol, nitromethane, methanol, synthetic fuels etc.
I’m not exaggerating here when I say that over 50% of the attraction for me is the sound. Doesn’t have to be 14k rpm+, just a race engine on wide-open throttle. Or often the music a DFV or Ferrari flat 12 plays on the overrun. A further attraction is the racing, obviously, but having no gear changes robs the racing of a critical factor for me. Watching historic saloon cars piling up to Druids at Brands, seeing the drivers changing down the gearbox, balancing braking and steering, and then throttle and steering, all while fighting for the same patch of tarmac…

Digital racing that swamps the viewer (how many spectators actually attend a race?) with endless data does nothing for me.

^^^ This. I know it's naughty, but I like it. I love the smell of castor oil in the exhaust, burnt 2- stroke oil (less so the synthetic but still ok). All terrible things but EVs aren't exactly good for the environment/african children etc. Old stuff is at least amortising it's carbon footprint over a long period.

I've fallen in love with the historic racing scene, my earliest memories of racing cars was the sound of Ferrari's (flat twelves, 250 GTO's and 288 GTO's) accelerating out cascades then coming back over hilltop.
I'm not fussed about Forumla E, although perhaps racing cars like the McMurtry could make for an interesting race series!

Small turbo charged engines can sound wonderful too.

A Subaru 2.0 Boxer with equal length headers and a twinscroll turbo on full chat is like a wailing banshee on heat. It was the sound of one of these in the early 90's that inspired me into cars and racing. I also bought one when I got old enough to insure it!

I love a big engine sound for sure, and EV's are worthless when it comes to motor racing, but they are the future sadly. The world needs to and is changing and dinosaurs like us are also on their way to extinction, the same with engines..which is a shame, as I pretty sure there is an alternative to electrical energy such as nitrogen but the powers that be have their reasons for going down the electrical route, presumably as there is big dollar in there for them somewhere.

although perhaps racing cars like the McMurtry could make for an interesting race series!

Maybe. But once the first lap tussles are over, I really can’t see anyone enjoying the sounds and sights of EVs going past on a track like Spa, once they can race at a decent speed over a reasonable distance.

Small turbo charged engines can sound wonderful too.

A Subaru 2.0 Boxer with equal length headers and a twinscroll turbo on full chat is like a wailing banshee on heat. It was the sound of one of these in the early 90's that inspired me into cars and racing. I also bought one when I got old enough to insure it!

I love a big engine sound for sure, and EV's are worthless when it comes to motor racing, but they are the future sadly. The world needs to and is changing and dinosaurs like us are also on their way to extinction, the same with engines..which is a shame, as I pretty sure there is an alternative to electrical energy such as nitrogen but the powers that be have their reasons for going down the electrical route, presumably as there is big dollar in there for them somewhere.
Synthetic fuels. Here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back