Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill and Dan Gurney drifting through Parabollica at Monza 1965.

[​IMG]

LAT copyright photo

IanW, RJohan and Mike P like this.
  2. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

For those that want to watch 'something else' over the weekend, GoodWood Revival is live all weekend. Some amazing cars.

BRM currently on track - glorious noise.

Barry123 likes this.
  3. Tony Lockhart

Bugger. I started watching just as the BRM’s engine started to let its smoke out :(

correction: coolant.

4. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

Yeah, it just let go :-( You should be able to schrole back through the vid though.

5. Tony Lockhart

For some reason, on my iPhone, the scrolling back doesn’t work.

6. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

Todays F1 can be amazing at times, but this is truly 'glorious' on so many levels.
    That Bugatti at full chat, and the only one apart from the museum.

7. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

Ah, a shame, I can on the mac, but then, I did see it, so possibly may need the bigger memory of a full size computer?

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

France dropped and replaced by Las Vegas in 2023.
    Ludicrous decision.

9. Tony Lockhart

Madness. Some great race tracks, diluted

[​IMG]

10. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo

wow&flutter and IanW like this.
  11. narabdela

narabdela who?

Money talks I suppose, but that horrible Paul Ricard track didn't help.

(EDITED to correct brainfart.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022 at 1:16 PM
  12. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo

We did not have a French GP after 2008 until its return in 2018 largely because of that circuit I believe. Unfortunately selection of venues is all about the money as you say and the trad circuits that have always funded themselves through ticket sales rather than government assistance have always struggled. Interesting that he USA can finance 3 races, not sure how long they can continue that with (still) no American drivers.

13. Tony Lockhart

Is hell freezing over anytime soon?

cutting42, IanW and Bob McC like this.
  14. Tony Lockhart

Ricard is horrific

flutteringwow and sean99 like this.
  15. mickhick1

mickhick1 pfm Member

Magny Cours was a bit remote I believe, but was quite a technical circuit, better than Paul Ricard IMO.

Mike P and Tony Lockhart like this.
  16. narabdela

narabdela who?

OOOPS! I actually meant Paul Ricard, not Magny Cours. Brainfart! :oops:

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  17. IanW

IanW pfm Member

I have not talked to anyone at Merc about all this, but have talked to others at different teams and along with my understanding of vehicle performance can put together the likely scenario.

The wind tunnel data would not show any stall, due to a compliant floor for example. The wind tunnel metrics would not have been modified to give any indication of ground effect problems, and hence the development path followed would have gone into areas that were not stable in the chase for downforce.

The data from the wind tunnel supplied to the simulation users would not have shown what was required to predict the porpoising problems in advance. And hence the vehicle ride configuration would not have considered any possible porpoising.

Merc's aero solution continues to be a very low rake car. That means that the aero is more sensitive to ride height changes. This means that porposiing on their car would be worse than the high rake cars.

So in summary a series of mistakes, poor communication and poorly informed design decisions that took Merc quite some time to unravel and would have resulted in compromises in downforce and possibly ride to make the car work in a more effective operating window.

Definitely not a consultancy opportunity for me as the egos in charge would not want an outsider to come in and do their jobs! And more importantly I do not want to have to deal with some of the toxic egos that are in leadership positions down there. I am much happier being semi retired and choosing who I talk to and work with!

RJohan, freefallrob, Yank and 11 others like this.
  18. cobbers

cobbers pfm Member

Another car park?

Yank likes this.
  19. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I wonder if they'll be driving limos' in the Las Vegas race ?

20. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Too many races next year ,if it is on almost every week you begin to loose interest . When there were less races I really looked forward to them ! Unfortunately less races = less money , need I say more !

RJohan and wow&flutter like this.