advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breakfast for the Mercedes Grand Prix strategist

It is funny; but I have been thinking about it and given that Merc on equal tyres was slower than RB and LEC’s Ferrari, I am not sure given the circumstances of safety cars there are other choices that could have ben more successful ultimately. They might have switched RUS and HAM around but if they left RUS out as well as HAM on the restart VER would have taken a couple of laps longer but still got past and LEC might have got both of them rather than just HAM. If they had changed HAM to softs as well they would have had a 2/3 almost certainly but would have given up track position on a track hard to pass on. Very hard to do when you are not that fast on the straight c/w the RB and Ferrari without a significant tyre advantage. Stopping HAM would have been giving up on the chance of a win even if it was a futile hope in the end.

HAM really does seem to get really bad luck with safety cars ,he did have a chance to win the race and should have been 2nd ,RUS seems to have the magic rabbit foot .TSU incidents very odd ,to the cynical did look like tactics to make sure VER won .

HAM really does seem to get really bad luck with safety cars ,he did have a chance to win the race and should have been 2nd ,RUS seems to have the magic rabbit foot .TSU incidents very odd ,to the cynical did look like tactics to make sure VER won .

I would be the first to jump at that being plausible, but tbf RB are so far in front I doubt they would take a chance like that for no real outcome other than a race win, they needed to try all of the cheating tactics last year as they couldn't win normally, but this year they don't need to.

In some ways, its a shame, as they tainted their name last year when they would have won their first championship legitimately this year without the black mark, the fake win down in the history books and the sport tainted.

I still don't fully understand why Mercedes or Lewis didn’t legally challenge the result of the last race.

Theres lots of inner workings to a mammoth financial machine, much of we as mere mortals will never know about. It was all very political motivated, however the FIA did finally declare the mistake was human error (on the quiet), which essentially meant to those with half a brain that Lewis is an 8th Time World Champion, and VER, nothing until this year. It just wasn't made 'official' as a result.

Wasn't there some discussion during the closed season about outlawing 'free' tyre changes during safety car periods to prevent gaining any kind of unfair advantage??

Theres lots of inner workings to a mammoth financial machine, much of we as mere mortals will never know about. It was all very political motivated, however the FIA did finally declare the mistake was human error (on the quiet), which essentially meant to those with half a brain that Lewis is an 8th Time World Champion, and VER, nothing until this year. It just wasn't made 'official' as a result.
Whinge, whinge.

Add to those the Sergio off in Q3 then it looks even worse though I don’t for a minute think it was anything other than the way the cookie crumbled.

A whole brain might come to a different conclusion.

Some more grid penalties for the weekend

VER - 5 spots
Yuki - Back of the grid
Carlos - Back of the grid (I presume qualifying will determine who is back back between him, Yuki and Lewis)
Checo - 10 spots
Valtteri - 15 spots

Was waiting for @Bob McC to mention how poor it was for the drivers who got grid penalties, but he only likes to speak out when Lewis suffers strangely...

Will Colton Herta get a superlicence? When is a rule, as Jack Sparrow might say, not so much a rule - more of a guideline?
Perhaps when Liberty Media says so? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back