advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

I the same car over a race distance, who's your money, Lewis or Max?

I'm going Max over 1 lap but Lewis in the race as I think he's 'just' lost a bit of outright pace here or he's learnt to optimise his car for race conditions.

I'm here to be shot down on that one!

I think Hamilton still has it by a whisker, but Max is very close.... we are going to see the likes of Max and LeClerc take Hamilton's crown, no disrespect meant to Lewis, it's just he's ageing and what does he have left to prove... it's just when that will be.... will he get championship number 7?

I the same car over a race distance, who's your money, Lewis or Max?

I'm going Max over 1 lap but Lewis in the race as I think he's 'just' lost a bit of outright pace here or he's learnt to optimise his car for race conditions.

I'm here to be shot down on that one!

I think I would go 50:50 qual and 70:30 HAM:VER for the race

I think Hamilton still has it by a whisker, but Max is very close.... we are going to see the likes of Max and LeClerc take Hamilton's crown, no disrespect meant to Lewis, it's just he's ageing and what does he have left to prove... it's just when that will be.... will he get championship number 7?
There’s no doubt those guys will take over from Lewis at some point so it was just about rating the two drivers (Max & Lewis) at this moment in time.

Another enjoyable race, with the tension slowly building to that amazing crescendo.

How much more is Lando worth now than in November last year?

There’s no doubt those guys will take over from Lewis at some point so it was just about rating the two drivers (Max & Lewis) at this moment in time.

Fair enough.... IMO and FWIW I would still take Lewis over Max as while Max has the speed and aggression Lewis has I think the experience that Lewis has built up counts for that slight extra bit of racecraft, knowing when to pick a fight and when not to.... every now and then Max still tries a bit too hard. I know having the best car helps, but in 2017 and 2018 the Ferrari was pretty useful and yet he still found a way to win and win my some margin over the season... that is where his worth is right now for me.

Another enjoyable race, with the tension slowly building to that amazing crescendo.

How much more is Lando worth now than in November last year?

NOR is a joy to have in the sport. I am reassessing his potential future performance in my head majorly this year. His handling of a slow start and a couple of position drops was exemplary and the pace he showed at the end and the ability to take the points on offer was very impressive. Props to SAI as well allowing NOR past to make the use of his better tyres, something that Renault should make a note of. RIC probably would have been 5th if they had.

I thought it was going to be a fairly quiet race once things settled down but viva la midfield! And Ferrari? Ouch!

Have we found out what change Ferrari were forced to make / remove by the FIA which has resulted in their drop in performance yet?

Being Ferrari, they managed to do a non-disclosure agreement with the FIA. Occasional clouds of smoke in the pits suggested that oil was being burnt under some circumstances, but there was no visible sign of that on track, afaik. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...a-returns-as-f1-teams-suspect-engine-trickery

There seems little doubt the most engines were burning oil previously but Ferrari's 2019 "tricks" came after this was pretty much shut down. I have read as much as I can on the aliasing of the fuel sensors and it seems extraordinarily complicated but the potential win was so big I suspect it is close to the truth. We may never know for sure unless someone is caught photocopying a bunch of red files in a Kwik Copy store somewhere.

What surprises me is how big the impact is on 2020, which leads me to think how long and how integrated into their systems it must have been.

Lewis was untouchable again despite a some in the press trying to suggest that his mind wasn’t on the job last weekend because of his efforts in tackling a lack of diversity in motorsport. Amazing to think that some idiots think he only has the mental capacity to drive a race car and nothing else. If anything, he’ll use that kind of criticism to fire himself up even more this season.

Lewis was untouchable again despite a some in the press trying to suggest that his mind wasn’t on the job last weekend because of his efforts in tackling a lack of diversity in motorsport. Amazing to think that some idiots think he only has the mental capacity to drive a race car and nothing else. If anything, he’ll use that kind of criticism to fire himself up even more this season.

Yup, Andrew Benson did a piece yesterday to that end

A shout out to RUS for an amazing quali getting the Williams into 12th (11th after Le Clerc demotion) on the grid. He blotted his copybook slightly binning it on the first lap but I think he has the most potential of all the newer drivers. Get this man into a top car please.

I was visiting a fellow fishie out past Airdrie last night and once again found myself driving on a section of the A73 that's best described as the 'Airdrie Eu Rouge' as you go down a hill, sweep right then sweep left back up the hill on the other side of the minor valley. It's a 40pmh road but when it comes to the sweep in the middle, you'd be pushing it if you tried to take it at that speed unless you had a car that has really good grip - I normally sweep through at 35 to make sure my car will stay on the road.

Fwiw, I'm not advocating irresponsible driving or anything like that, just that I've discovered a petit eu rouge just outside Glasgow that's exciting to drive at a safe speed.

I was visiting a fellow fishie out past Airdrie last night and once again found myself driving on a section of the A73 that's best described as the 'Airdrie Eu Rouge' as you go down a hill, sweep right then sweep left back up the hill on the other side of the minor valley. It's a 40pmh road but when it comes to the sweep in the middle, you'd be pushing it if you tried to take it at that speed unless you had a car that has really good grip - I normally sweep through at 35 to make sure my car will stay on the road.

Fwiw, I'm not advocating irresponsible driving or anything like that, just that I've discovered a petit eu rouge just outside Glasgow that's exciting to drive at a safe speed.

I live in a hilly area with twisty roads, there are a few such petites eaux rouges here including some spots on my daily commute.

Last edited:
ampauq3x9na51.jpg

It takes me back to something IanW said some time ago - because of the way they do things, it can take Honda a while to get it right, but if and when they do, everyone else watch out.

advertisement

Back