advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

I can’t see Verstappen leaving RB, or the team wanting Verstappen with Vettel. Mercedes are happy with their two drivers. So that leaves...?

Seb's had that 'weary' look about him for a while IMO. He's a family man now too, has more than enough money to support them. His team are backing the new guy (understandably). Does he need the hassle of the 'the fight' anymore?

I've only heard good things about him as a person, so maybe take a break and just do fun races or even join the Top Gear crew?

Perhaps he’ll have a roll to play in the new motorsport order. As much as it doesn’t interest me, EV racing is the next thing, and post-CV19 some current petrol teams and championships could be wiped out.

I might find myself just wandering off to Brands and Snetterton for the occasional classic meeting once EV takes over all the telly coverage.

Seb's had that 'weary' look about him for a while IMO. He's a family man now too, has more than enough money to support them. His team are backing the new guy (understandably). Does he need the hassle of the 'the fight' anymore?

I've only heard good things about him as a person, so maybe take a break and just do fun races or even join the Top Gear crew?

I think you have this spot on. Once you stop being "the man", going up against HAM, LEC and VER week in week out and losing out to them in wheel to wheel contests more often than not and not quite having that edge you once had must be incredibly debilitating.

He has not looked like he has enjoyed his time recently and to have Ferrari only offer a short contract with lower money cannot have helped. Ferrari have always preferred to get behind one driver and struggled when they have two number one's, although to be fair, most teams have trouble with this.

Maybe @IanW might have a better idea ofthe state of play with Vettel?

Maybe Vettel, with his experience and knowledge, needs a challenge, for example if Carlos Sainz leaves McLaren then Vettel goes there to help get the team up to winning ways, likewise if Daniel Ricciardo leaves Renault the same applies, otherwise I doubt he would go elsewhere and just retire.

And he's not lacking in humour...

Maybe @IanW might have a better idea ofthe state of play with Vettel?
I haven't heard anything w.r.t. Vettel. We are all in shutdown and so less information is generally available in teams and less of that information moves around the teams at the moment.

I do know that he works very hard at everything that he does and this has been instrumental in achieving what he has achieved.

He also wants a car to handle in a particular way, which is what he had when he was winning championships at RBR, since then it has been more difficult as the technical regs have made the type of handling that he wanted, much more difficult to achieve.

Maybe he’ll he replace Hamilton, if Hamilton wants to scratch the Ferrari itch...

Never quite sure if this was ever a proper rumour or just wishful thinking on behalf of Ferrari fans and the press looking for headlines. Whilst I am sure there is a little bit of HAM that would like to drive a red car, not sure it is strong enough to make him give up that ever so comfortable seat in silver while it is still the class of the field.

Never quite sure if this was ever a proper rumour or just wishful thinking on behalf of Ferrari fans and the press looking for headlines. Whilst I am sure there is a little bit of HAM that would like to drive a red car, not sure it is strong enough to make him give up that ever so comfortable seat in silver while it is still the class of the field.

Problem is that's it's the class of the field for this season, if this season actually happens. What about after that?

Problem is that's it's the class of the field for this season, if this season actually happens. What about after that?

He can only decide on what he knows and with the big reg change postponed to 2022 next years car will be the same as this more or less, it seems a safe decision. Merc dealt with the last reg change better than any other team as well so again any move to Ferrari would be heart over head.

He can only decide on what he knows and with the big reg change postponed to 2022 next years car will be the same as this more or less, it seems a safe decision. Merc dealt with the last reg change better than any other team as well so again any move to Ferrari would be heart over head.

Ah, hadn't realised they were postponing the reg changes. That makes sense considering the current situation. Doubt Mercedes will be able to carry the fancy steering trick over till 2022 then?

Ah, hadn't realised they were postponing the reg changes. That makes sense considering the current situation. Doubt Mercedes will be able to carry the fancy steering trick over till 2022 then?

You are correct, that feature has been banned for 2021

Any of the big teams would need to desperate or foolish to take on Vettel in his twilight years. But I don't think any of them are either desperate or foolish. He does not strike me as the type of driver able to do amazing things with a car that is not quite at the top of the tree. Anyway there is younger talent knocking on the door of F1 looking for an opening. So I reckon Vet will either retire completely or move into something else motorsporty but away from the drivers seat.

Agree with this, and LH will be well aware of what happened to Daniel Ricciardo when he made a rash team change.

advertisement

Back