advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Racing is what we all want to see, but imo the penalty for 'causing an avoidable collision' (i.e. deliberately barging another car off the track) should be the black flag followed by a one race ban, escalating for any subsequent repetition. Even Vettel would be forced to pay attention.
Charlie Whiting is sorely missed.

Racing is what we all want to see, but imo the penalty for 'causing an avoidable collision' (i.e. deliberately barging another car off the track) should be the black flag followed by a one race ban, escalating for any subsequent repetition. Even Vettel would be forced to pay attention.
Charlie Whiting is sorely missed.

Er... Vettel didn’t deliberately barge anyone off the track so not sure what your point is. IMO both of yesterday’s incidents (LH/AA and CL/SV) were just racing incidents with no malice intended.

Well, since every post-race analysis I've read seems to agree that it was only 60% Vettel's fault (this time) I guess Radio5lse had it all wrong. Surprise!

The Ferrari clash was 100% Vettel's fault. He's been squeezing his team mates when alongside for years in a move to intimidate. He was virtually past CLC who could only defend by taking up the middle of the track at that point and Vettel had the better position for that corner. Agreed with the C4 presenters who suggested that Vet was probably peed at CLC move on him earlier and the Red mist came down again. Just when I thought he'd recovered his form from earlier in the season but Seb and close racing just don't belong in the same sentence. He's definitely has the raw pace, that's never been in doubt just his moves at critical times in close racing.

On Lewis, I'm a big fan but he's human and got that move wrong. He had the tyres to get him later in the lap but just mis-judged that one. A real shame for Albon who'd done a great job and deserved to be on the podium.

Great to see Lewis really wanting to take to the fight to Max even though the RB/Max combo were just too quick at that circuit on the day. He's not slackened off after winning the title as he knows the likes of Max, CLC are snapping at his heels.

I feel bad for Albon, but to be honest the incident with LH looked 50/50 to me. Albon left a huge gap then cut right across the front of LH. I would have thought a racing incident.

I feel bad for Albon, but to be honest the incident with LH looked 50/50 to me. Albon left a huge gap then cut right across the front of LH. I would have thought a racing incident.
Not for me. Lewis went for a gap that was always going to close, realised it too late and almost parked his car in that spot. A rare mistake for him but he's only human.

@IanW When the red cars had their little kiss, what was the general reaction where you were at the time? With me (fairly neutral, just want to see drivers and cars doing their best) I just couldn't help but say, cornily, "Oh my god!" I just couldn't laugh at them. Well, not til later.

I was travelling to the airport and so missed the race. I have watched the highlights, but that is not the same!

Albon did seem to move accross which did not help matters but Hamilton took on a risky move which was likely to fail and at least he admitted it had been his fault for risking it . Of course with Vettel he is never in the wrong ! his wheel to wheel racing really is poor of late ,basher bill strikes again

Except that both the stewards and Hamilton himself saw it differently.

The stewards did not really decide that. HAM said it was his fault and did not attend the stewards meeting (sending a message admitting as much) so they had to issue the appropriate penalty. I got the impression from some comments that if he had put his point and argued it that it may have been passed as a racing incident although no-one really knows that. As soon as HAM admitted liability there was only one outcome.

I think it was less clear than many incidents this year that have ended in no action but it was a generous act and he clearly felt bad for ALB.

I still believe it was an open door and any of the the usual suspects, LEC, VET, RIC, VER all would have stuck the car in there and conversely all of them would have expected that if they had been in ALB position and taken the protective line into the corner not the racing lane.

I'll sum it up for you :D

It was Hamilton's fault.

It is just some blokes opinion, many opinions from commentators and drivers was that it was a racing incident.

The point which you seem reluctant to accept is that it was not a clear cut 100% HAM mistake. It was marginal whether it was a racing incident ie shared responsibility or clearly the fault of one driver. In an overtake, the overtaker usually has to put their car in a position that inconveniences the overtakee (is that a word?). The usual example is sticking your car down the inside of a corner. The lead car also shares a responsibility not to collide and pay attention to what is behind them. That does not mean just sling it in and bounce off the other car but HAM did not do that. He took the inside line, braked to the apex and did not lose control of the car, in fact a criticism might be he was not forceful enough to get further ahead but anyway. ALB had seen HAM (admitted as much) but still chose to turn in on the racing line which was a misjudgement by him and they hit with ALB suffering worse.

IMO it was more HAM fault that ALB maybe 60:40 or so which to me falls within racing incident territory. As I said earlier, HAM clearly felt really bad about this as I believe he tries to be as fair a driver as possible and assumed responsibility which was a very respectful gesture. It is notable that ALB also has accepted some blame for the incident.

Guys, let's not let this thread degenerate into a pro/anti Lewis thing like so many other forums around the web. At the end of the day Hamilton is only human, he had a go for the place (which is good - I like drivers that have a go), but he slightly misjudged it. Some say he was impatient and should have overtaken Albon later at turn 1, but he had eyes on having a pop at Verstappen and wanted to get on with it. He held his hands up straight away and that is that... Albon says he has moved on and accepts Hamilton's apology so perhaps everyone else should. To me Hamilton always seems very fair and I think his striaght up admission of guilt was because he felt bad for Albon.

The point which you seem reluctant to accept is that it was not a clear cut 100% HAM mistake.
IMO it was more HAM fault that ALB maybe 60:40 or so which to me falls within racing incident territory.

There is an awful lot of Hamilton worship that results in a somewhat distorted view sometimes. If he says that it is clearly his fault then, apparently, that is really a racing incident.

Do you understand what 60:40 means? It means that he is 50% more at fault than the other driver. (not that it was 60:40 - 70:30 at best)

Anyway, it doesn't matter, he finished seventh.

advertisement

Back