advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

What's the general view of the new regs, Ian? Especially are the mid-grid teams optimistic?

Hi Matthew,

Difficult to say. In general there is a positive view because the funding structure will be better for the midfield and there will be less of a performance differential to the front. The ability to run closer to the car in front is a good thing, but this will reduce performance differences across the teams as it is very prescriptive.

However, for some of us that have done this a long time there are a few caveats.

Firstly Ferrari, Merc and RBR have been working hard to ensure that current rules are not the final rules as it makes F1 too close to a spec formula. So there will be further rules changes to enable greater differentiation.

And secondly, whenever there is a rule change the big teams are able to take advantage of this and move ahead of the smaller teams. They just need to leave the rules alone for longer, as when they do that the grid closes up as the ideas and specific advantages that teams develop, get spread around the grid.

What I do find surprising is that whenever rule changes are suggested there are many technical people in the smaller teams who think that it is a good thing for them alone, as that represents an opportunity to catch up with the bigger teams and move ahead of their competitors. However, the reality is that the bigger teams pull ahead because of the additional resource and the rest remain in roughly their budget determined position. Very occasionally a team does a very good job and out performs the others with similar budget, e.g. generally Force India, Sauber in 2012 with the Coanda exhaust.

I would still prefer to see an opening up of the rules not a further tightening. Along with the revised prize money distribution and budget caps to encourage more teams and make the racing closer.

Ian

My response was not meant to sound annoyed, but it does a bit!

Sauber have been in F1 for over 25 years, Alfa have just come back with money and sensibly got a current team to represent them.

Toyota showed how difficult it is come in as a manufacturer team!

I would still prefer to see an opening up of the rules not a further tightening. Along with the revised prize money distribution and budget caps to encourage more teams and make the racing closer.

This is where we all boo at certain red team right? :)

That is not correct. The race engineering teams stayed with the driver they were with in the previous year. What changed was some of the mechanics. This happened from time to time and was planned by the leadership long beforehand. This was not done to help or hinder the drivers, but very likely to help the mechanics improve / work better in a small group better suited to how they worked at their best (Wolff generally pushes for changes like this to improve how things work).
Ah, I see. I just remember Lewis having a big beef about it at the start of the season & that’s how it was reported at the time.
Good to get the real story anyway.

Excellent news with ALB continuing with the fizzy drink car in 2020

Not a big fan of the team (in case you had not figured) but I do like their driver talent progression; brutal but it does reward good performance. You can argue that Alex has had the rub of the green but to come through the field even in a top car is something that VER gets plenty of credit for so I am glad he has got the reward. Top 6 in every race with RB and has outscored VER in the same period (OK VER retired twice but hey?)

Albon has done very well and grasped the opportunity which Gasley did not seem able to take .
Gasley looked good at Torro Rosso but seemed to wilt under the red bull pressure , now back at Torro he appears to be bouncing back

Same old, same old, pole wins, nothing to see here.

Wow, what a way to win a race, VER just nailed it. Gutted for ALB but he did leave a massive gap that any racer would have stuck his nose in and he needs to realise that. His first time battling with the top drivers and he will learn for sure.

So much stuff to enjoy, one of the best for years

Can Vettel accrue points for this?

If you mean penalty points I highly doubt it. In my book Vettel was at fault, but 9 out of 10 times they'd have touched wheels and both carried on. The fact it resulted in a double DNF was very bad luck and nothing more. It shouldn't have happened, but do we want racing or don't we? Ferrari are in no danger of losing a place in the constructors championship so no harm done whatsoever. If that had happened with either championship or prize money at stake then Ferrari would be right to be upset, but nothing was lost so they need to move on.

Fantastic race aside from the Ferrari episode, had a bit of everything. Verstappen was mighty, Gasly may have been there in part by luck, but he kept out of trouble and used the safety cars well ... great to see him on the podium, Lewis just doesn't know when to give up thank goodness... feel sorry for Albon and while I know Lewis has taken the blame for it looks more like a racing incident to me. Different strategies, unsafe pit releases, overtakes, Sainz being brilliant, Mercedes engine blow up and so on... but no doubt many will say it was boring.

5 second penalty for Lewis ... classified 7th.... but every cloud... Sainz is 3rd :D
Kimi 4th and Antonio 5th. We missed opportunities earlier in the year to deliver a result like this, so it is good to see that we got this one right.

Nonetheless, at the end of the season each team generally finished where they should as all the bad luck and good luck averages out (Ron Dennis used to say that there was no luck, just quality of preparation and execution!).

Gasly did very well.

@IanW When the red cars had their little kiss, what was the general reaction where you were at the time? With me (fairly neutral, just want to see drivers and cars doing their best) I just couldn't help but say, cornily, "Oh my god!" I just couldn't laugh at them. Well, not til later.

advertisement

Back