advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

Tragic as this incident was, even if the cars could be made indestructible, unless you can upgrade the human body this crash was unlikely to be survivable whatever formula you run in.

Yes, but the aim of the design of car is not to make an indestructible car (and in fact the destruction of the car around the survival cell is part of how the energy is dissipated to make survival more likely), but to provide a survival cell (by reducing peak accelerations) that enables a driver to survive ever more severe accidents. We will never remove the risk of such an accident completely, but we can continue to reduce the likelihood of such a crash taking someone's life.

Ian,

Thanks for your opinion, a good insight into the differences between the cars and driving issues involved, appreciate your time.

John

Through Eau Rouge, a little wriggle on the climb out, then across the track and heavily into the barrier on the right. Subsequently bounced of the barrier, straight into the path of Correa.

Awful.

I suspect the reason for bouncing back from the barrier will be looked at very closely.

That's the area they need to look at, not that we want to see catch fencing brought back again.

I suspect the reason for bouncing back from the barrier will be looked at very closely.
The significant impact happened well off the track. I think you want cars to bounce at that point, but ideally not back into the racing area. Stopping them in one impact would be dangerous.

The bothersome factor (apart from the obvious consequences) to me was the way the tubs broke. At least the fuel cells remained intact.

The significant impact happened well off the track. I think you want cars to bounce at that point, but ideally not back into the racing area. Stopping them in one impact would be dangerous.

The bothersome factor (apart from the obvious consequences) to me was the way the tubs broke. At least the fuel cells remained intact.

Hi Paul,

I mention the following in case it is not obvious to other readers. Yes getting cars that are in an accident away from the track is a good thing for two reasons. The first is to increase the time over which the car decelerates to do less damage to the driver (in particular their brain being decelerated in their skull) and to get the car away from the racing line and so reduce the chance of it being hit by another car.

The continuous improvement of tracks and cars will continue to reduce the chances of us seeing an accident like this.

To us outsiders it can all seem like pure luck, especially when accidents such as this, with 214g impact, are survived:

Yes, great shame to see Vestappen out so soon, he could have proven interesting. Another race where Vettel went backwards too!

Given that Albon got from 20th to 5th where might Max have been had he not had that first corner issue?

Probably 5th I think, I am not sure RB had the pace to get in with the Merc or Ferrari. You saw the way VET just breezed past HAM to retake 2nd even without DRS and the Mercs weren’t slow.

Given that Albon got from 20th to 5th where might Max have been had he not had that first corner issue?
5th

Albon was 1m21 behind the winner and more than a minute behind 4th. So I think if Verstappen hadn't played the idiot he would have been 5th, and Albon 6th. Except that in this alternate reality Norris would have been able to run to the line and Albon would have been pushed down to 7th. Which in context would still have been a very good result.

FWIW I think Albon did a good job and Red Bull will be pleased. I would find it very entertaining if he gave Max a hard time at an upcoming race...

It was a tough weekend to watch with the way it went but it was a good race, one of a line of decent races as well. Battles for the top places were good to see after we expected Ferrari to dispensary into the distance and the midfield was so close and competitive it was hard to know what to follow. I was worried about ALB to start with but he seemed to not like the pace on the mediums and as soon as he was on the softs he was chucking it all over the track, I am sure the RB brass will be pleased to see that. I hope NOR is getting all his bad luck out of the way this year, cruel failure on the last lap after an excellent but lonely race.

I think the sport handled itself well with good words and comments from everyone.

I think Albon did really well as he was under a lot of pressure , a bit embaressing for Gasley .
Max was back to his old ways and should not have gone for a gap that would disappear and ruined his race .
leclerc now has a overdue win under his belt , Vettel looking substandard

I think Albon did really well as he was under a lot of pressure , a bit embaressing for Gasley .
Max was back to his old ways and should not have gone for a gap that would disappear and ruined his race .
leclerc now has a overdue win under his belt , Vettel looking substandard

CLC is only going to improve as the season continues - this could get awkward for SV. My money is on him retiring at seasons end.

CLC is only going to improve as the season continues - this could get awkward for SV. My money is on him retiring at seasons end.

He needs to do something about his own errors mainly, he has decent speed but I never rated him as a fully rounded champion in the Alonso category as he was never consistent enough. He had one car he was untouchable in with the blown exhaust RB/Renault and when he has not had that car he does not shine as bright. Quick quick driver for sure but I have never had the feeling he can drag a performance out of a recalcitrant car. LEC seems to have one lap pace on him most of the year but it looks like LEC is gaining the race pace as well.

There may be trouble ahead!

CLC is a fabulous driver, Sebs reign is almost certainly coming to an end!

I was very surprised to not see the gravel reinstated at the run off come Sunday morning.

RIP AH.

He needs to do something about his own errors mainly, he has decent speed but I never rated him as a fully rounded champion in the Alonso category as he was never consistent enough. He had one car he was untouchable in with the blown exhaust RB/Renault and when he has not had that car he does not shine as bright. Quick quick driver for sure but I have never had the feeling he can drag a performance out of a recalcitrant car. LEC seems to have one lap pace on him most of the year but it looks like LEC is gaining the race pace as well.

There may be trouble ahead!

He’s become a parent too which must have an effect somewhere. He’ll be looking at Hamilton knowing he’s been soundly beaten there, then across his own garage at the new wonder kid giving him hell. On top of that Mad Max has really stepped up (bar that 1st corner on Sunday). It’ll leave him thinking, ‘4 titles in the bag, nah, I’m done here’.

advertisement

Back