advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

They put it to him that the 2019 RB was rumoured to be a bit special and he sheepishly played it down in a very unconvincing way. I would have said he looked happy with progress. One has to assume that Honda engine will be better than the dog they had this year.

They put it to him that the 2019 RB was rumoured to be a bit special and he sheepishly played it down in a very unconvincing way. I would have said he looked happy with progress. One has to assume that Honda engine will be better than the dog they had this year.

Like the cat that ate the canary?

Who’s going to be brave & predict the top 3 placings for next season.

I’ve backed Vettel, Hamilton & somebody else the last 2 seasons but I’m not going for Vettel this time. I think he’s had his time & Leclerc could push him over the edge.

I gather the Honda has been resigned again for next year, mostly the ICE I believe. Renault are doing the same. I expect they know what's needed now so the redesigns may be quite effective.

Once they got Adrian Newey really involved again (he wasn't at the start of the hybrid era), they ended up with the best aero, so it would be no surprise that they expect and end up with the best aero next year. With a bit more power from the engine, they will be in with a chance of fighting for the championship.

Once they got Adrian Newey really involved again (he wasn't at the start of the hybrid era), they ended up with the best aero, so it would be no surprise that they expect and end up with the best aero next year. With a bit more power from the engine, they will be in with a chance of fighting for the championship.

The Honda has been more reliable this year as they've been iterating like crazy and haven't had to make the engines last. Remains to be seen if the engines are long lived enough to win a championship, though.

I don't know how aero works but was amazed that Verstappen could not get great laps with current RB in the rain, with older RB's he was very good in wet conditions.

I am assuming that they all photograph the competitors cars and all have the benefit of the tv footage. Why are they not all the same in respect to the aero package and copy RB?

I am assuming that they all photograph the competitors cars and all have the benefit of the tv footage. Why are they not all the same in respect to the aero package and copy RB?

Because everything under the aero is different. The bits you can’t see have a bearing on the shape and size of the body which then dictates airflow through wings and winglets etc.

It’d be like putting a 911 GT3 RS rear wing on a Honda Type R, and nobody would.... oh. Hang on :/

Because the airflow is very complicated, at least down to the level of trying to make a car that competes close to the front of the grid (a couple of hundredths can separate cars over a 90 second lap so it is all in the detail which you cannot get from a photograph). Also it is very difficult to get any photographs that tell you much about the airflow under the car which is really important. You would also need to understand the concept of how it all works, which is in the heads of the aeros at RBR, without that, even with a perfect copy, you would be behind them.

Photogrammetry, done well, does help you get an idea as to how the body components are shaped, but you need photographs taken in a certain way, which the teams are aware of (RBR have used disruptuve patterns in the paint to make this even more difficult to do) and make it very difficult to impossible to do at the level required.

And by the time you’ve copied it, and made it work on your chassis, they’ve moved on a few weeks. Utterly pointless, and not really what it’s about.

@IanW roughly how many aero people in a team of Sauber’s size?

Regarding the collision between Ocon and Verstappen, onboard footage and communications from Ocon's car as well as communications from Verstappen's car prove that Max knew Ocon was faster and was looking to get past and yet he defended stupidly hard as if Ocon was going to take the lead in the race. I'd even go so far as to say he defended unfairly hard as Ocon turned his steering wheel right before contact to make the corner and Max, well he turned his steering wheel even righter which, in my mind, caused the collision as Ocon's car was far enough alongside that both cars were entitled to make the corner at the same time.

https://streamable.com/fkpqj

Yeah, I thought at the time Ocon's punishment seemed a tad unfair as it wasn't obvious it was his fault and now I'm sure it wasn't his fault.

advertisement

Back