advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Does he come from the family that produced Smedley’s peas ?
Possible, but unlikely. Smedley is not an uncommon name. The pea people were Quakers who were pioneers in the vegetable canning industry, which went sort of pea(r)-shaped with the advent of refrigeration and a greater desire for fresh fruit and vegetables.

Possible, but unlikely. Smedley is not an uncommon name. The pea people were Quakers who were pioneers in the vegetable canning industry, which went sort of pea(r)-shaped with the advent of refrigeration and a greater desire for fresh fruit and vegetables.

Sounds a lot more interesting than Formula 1...

I followed Williams when they were very successful. Alan Jones era.
A man in our local worked for Williams, so I started taking an interest in Formula 1
To be honest, I find the whole Formula 1 Circus rather boring these days...

Lewis has made the difference this year, unlucky Max (but you did have more to lose in that move) and look forward to a great contest next year.

Invaluable free coaching from Lewis to Max. Ocon may have had some right to unlap himself but had to be careful. Max would be well advised to heed Lewis' advice as he matures into a fully rounded racer who will be WC multiple times.

Invaluable free coaching from Lewis to Max. Ocon may have had some right to unlap himself but had to be careful. Max would be well advised to heed Lewis' advice as he matures into a fully rounded racer who will be WC multiple times.

Yes Ocon was at fault, but a mature Max will leave a bit more room. In any event, he's box office and it sounds like both Max and the Honey Badger will have some speed next year.

Yes Ocon was at fault, but a mature Max will leave a bit more room. In any event, he's box office and it sounds like both Max and the Honey Badger will have some speed next year.
I'm not so sure - it struck me as Max being equally at fault for being a bit too impetuous and failing to leave sufficient room in his urge to get past. The Swiss commentator thought it was entirely Max's fault.

Can all F1 cars this season start themselves, without help of external starter ?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-reprimand-fine-weighbridge-brazil/3211716/
I think it's mostly a consequence of the hybrid power plants. It would be interesting to know if it's required, and if the engine people have to make some provision in the motor to allow it to turn the engine from 0rpm. I suppose being a tiny turbo it is essentially easy to turn over compared to a 3.5 litre V10.

I'm not so sure - it struck me as Max being equally at fault for being a bit too impetuous and failing to leave sufficient room in his urge to get past. The Swiss commentator thought it was entirely Max's fault.
It was Max's fault that he missed the win. He could have let Ocon past and had a tow behind a Mercedes engine, might have gained him 0.5s on Hamilton, instead he lost 5 and got damage.

And his over-reaction shows the old Max is still there. It's hard to see him as a multiple WC. Leclerc OTOH....

Reactions: TPA
Today will have been a big lesson for Max. When he assimilates it over the winter break he just might start to temper some of his headstrong nature. It may take another season or more of such incidents.

Daniel will be racing Kimi for 7th next year.

So many people predict Max will be a multiple WDC, but I’m not so sure. If RB go down a blind alley next year, and are left in the Ferrari/Merc dust, where will he go? And other teams always have a selection of fast, young drivers to choose from.

The RB is looking fast again, but there’s nothing guaranteed for next year.

advertisement

Back