advertisement

The 2018 F1 Thread

Watching a live stream of the 'Ring 24hrs - 3 classes and the in-car view of closing speeds is really frightening!*

Meanwhile, comparatively tame GP qualifying sees Merc back in business.....the rest nowhere.

Edit: Actually, three separate grids so probably umpteen separate classes.

Ferrari has been told that it must remove the winglets from its halo mirrors by Monaco. Strange looking!

Jeezus!

From a former rabid fan, these 2018 cars a f***ing ugly.

Such a shame that top sport has been sold out across the board to the highest bidders. People like me rarely get to see it and when we do, it doesn't appear to have benefited in any way from the additional revenue these sales have generated.

For any lovers of old F1 cars, up to 1980, the Quest channel (SKY144) is broadcasting live the Monaco GP Historic race tomorrow, Sunday. It starts at 1 PM and includes Hesketh, ATS, Lotus, Wolf, Williams etc I saw the qualifying today and the old cars are being driven hard, with a few expensive nudges of the ARMCO. (SKY244 is the same thing +1 hr)

Scary when you can remember Hunt the shunt in the 308 like it was yesterday, remember the Wolf team running the 308c before introducing the WR1 and winning their first race with Jody Scheckter, and yet you can't remember what you did the day before yesterday...

Over the last 40 years there have been some ugly cars. I’d even say today’s look so much better than many from the late 70’s and 80’s.

Anyway. Annihilates the field, and his own team mate by 20 seconds. Has Lewis managed to get the 2018 car and his mind sorted at last?

I wanted to see what it was like if honest Tony. Maybe because of my not watching for so long I have no attachment to those on track but the gaps between teams reminded me of the 1970's. Sadly nothing else did.

And those halos are simply too much. It's come to something when cycle racing requires more courage.

I've only been watching F1 avidly since the mid 80s, but looking at almost every season there have been similar gaps since 'records began'.

Pick a random year, then a random race, and see what I mean. Often the top teams were much further ahead!

Like I say Tony, it reminded me of the 1970's

Pos No Driver Constructor Laps Time/Retired Grid Points
10 Ronnie Peterson March-Ford 52 1:30:35.6 8 9
2 Clay Regazzoni Ferrari 52 + 2.3 9 6
26 Jacques Laffite Ligier-Matra 52 + 3.0 1 4
1 Niki Lauda Ferrari 52 + 19.4 5 3
3 Jody Scheckter Tyrrell-Ford 52 + 19.5 2 2
4 Patrick Depailler Tyrrell-Ford 52 + 35.7 4 1
9 Vittorio Brambilla March-Ford 52 + 43.9 16
8 16 Tom Pryce Shadow-Ford 52 + 52.9 15
9 35 Carlos Reutemann Ferrari 52 + 57.5 7
10 22 Jacky Ickx Ensign-Ford 52 + 1:12.4 10
11 28 John Watson Penske-Ford 52 + 1:42.2 26
12 19 Alan Jones Surtees-Ford 51 + 1 Lap 18
13 6 Gunnar Nilsson Lotus-Ford 51 + 1 Lap 12

And to remind you, they didn't have safety cars back then. ;)

No idea why I chose that race but it's the Italian GP at Monza from 1976.

Peterson winning in the First National City Bank sponsored March and Lauda's first race back at Ferrari in the 312T2 since his near fatal accident at the Nurburgring.

Lauda finished with his balaclava soaked in blood having had his skin repairs open up as the race progressed. Still managed a 4th place. Funnily enough, had Ferrari put Regazzoni behind him, he would have ended up winning the WDC IIRC.

Imagine one of today's racers driving in that condition.

James Hunt. Getting out of his car and asking if anyone has a fag to spare. First F1 memory.

Loved that guy to bits. Still do.

advertisement

Back