Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thatcher gone

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Ernie CA, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It's just ridiculous. This hugely expensive state funeral is a massive 'f*** you!' to the nation / self-agrandising PR stunt from a arrogant political party that hasn't even got a majority in the HoC. The more I think about it the more sick and obnoxious it all appears - it would be pretty tasteless even in a booming economy with a landslide Tory majority. In the fifth year of a economic depression with a failed flat-lining economy and a mere coalition partner it is far beyond tasteless.

I obviously have no issue whatsoever with Thatcher having a funeral. To my mind it should be a quiet respectful family affair paid for by her family with any additional security required to keep it peaceful provided by the state. Cameron etc trying to turn it into a massive political PR event is a whole other thing entirely, and one that should logically be met with bricks, bottles and fire. I sincerely hope it all backfires on the obnoxious twunt anyway (Cameron, not Thatcher - I actually have little interest / feeling / resentment toward Thatcher at all - that's all ancient history).

2. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

If you think this is bad wait till the queen falls off her perch - I'm clearing off abroad for a fortnight on that day.

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Maybe Cameron isn't as maladroit as he appears on this issue, maybe he wants to take the gloves off and force confrontation. After all, who doesnt love a strong leader when times are tough?

4. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Have we got one?...Nah, didn't think so.

5. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

Good for Bercow. Put Baldrick firmly down.

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There's a petition against wasting public money on Thatcher's funeral here on change.org. It won't change anything, but might cause the government some mild embarrassment should enough folk sign it.

7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

I agree.

That is how she should be criticized. Not by playing a song or having a party but by deconstructing her legacy piece by piece and explaining *exactly* where she went wrong.

That is not to say everything she did / every policy she introduced was wrong.

8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Signed. Austerity and all that.

9. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

If people want to raise a glass to mark her passing then good luck to them. She should be criticized in every way possible. They have done very well to outlive her given tory policies! There should be a demonstration at the funeral and playing ding dong is a valid expression of how people actually feel.

There is no love lost and we have been deconstructing her "legacy" over the last 20 years. I know exactly where she went wrong and what she was really all about. Do you?

How do you you find a song/steet party distasteful after everything she did? Unbelievable and it says everything about your loyalties and political views.

The sycophantic tory outpouring was unbearable to watch for any length of time.

10. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

Chaps

Of course Thatcher was divisive, that was why she won three elections.

She was supported by hard working people who cared about the nation, its morals, its finances and its culture.

She ruthlessly shat on those who were a total pain in the ass, the useless, the lazy, the left wingers and strikers and all the rest of the dross who now are more or less history.

To be honest it is rather amusing to see these sad failed old gits resurfacing. It makes us remember why she was so necessary.

Regards

Mick

11. zener

zener fluff

a 45 kgm chinese girl ants to chat with me via this pointless , sad , vindictive thread , get over the 80's they are long gone.

12. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Youre a bright spark arent you. Do you have any other words of wisdom? Why dont you clear off to your bird on facebook then.

13. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Oh, if only everyone was as worthy as Mick Parody, or maybe not . . .

14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

many intelligent people, in here and out there, seem to have observed the 80's ideology being fully at play right now and causing massive problems. perhaps you should contemplate why you have failed to see the obvious.

vuk.

15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

mick.

i have not failed--i am doing extremely well with my company. i am also not old, though i am perhaps a git.

what is disappointing, however, is to witness the people here unwilling to go and protest because of fear of the police. if a person is OK with that, what then is the point of complaining?

vuk.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Me too - I did the consultancy / contracting thing Mick crows about endlessly back in my mid-30s and have been semi-retired running this place since before I was 40! I just missed out the 30+ years of dull grey corporate rat-race tedium. I am obviously a git.

17. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

Demonstration is fine. Using a song like that, IMHO, isn't. Despite what she did, it would be disrespectful in the extreme and unpleasant to the family and friends attending the funeral. She may deserve vitriol, they do not. How would you like to attend your Mum's funeral with a baying crowd chanting what a cow / witch / bitch she was?

Yes I do. How can I not? I read an awful lot of words about it on PFM. Some of it is even presented by people who's views I value.

It's called respect. (cf 'family & friends' above)

Just because I don't share your (and other's) blind hatred of her, it doesn't mean I'm Tory Boy either. FWIW, you don't know my political views and to think you do based on what I believe is a proper way to deal with her death, then I suggest it's more your ingrained hatred for her than it does about me. Using your approach, I surmise you're a completely unreconstructed spartist who'll be digging out his donkey jacket next Wednesday and reminiscing about Red Wedge.

I agree. But no more stomach churning / turning than some of the behaviour of the "antis".

BTW. I'll also add that as well as thinking Glenda Jackson was spot on in in tone and content, I also have tremendous respect for the Labour MPs who didn't turn up today. That speaks more strongly of their POV than turning up and going off on one.

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I agree with this. To my mind the Thatcher family and close friends should be allowed to have a respectful funeral in peace. All vitriol, protest, violence and disruption should be very firmly and directly targeted at the government's attempt to airbrush history and enact a deification of Thatcher using vast amounts of public money at what can now only be described as a huge political PR rally. That should be met with a hail of contempt the likes of which has never before been seen on the streets of London. I sincerely hope people on both sides can clearly see this distinction.

19. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

How useless is a person with a disabling illness which is beyond their control, Mick? Moderately useless, I assume.

I ask because they were ruthlessly shat on by Thatcher, and that's just one reason why she is so widely disliked in certain quarters. The British have an innate sense of fair play, and this was transgressed.

20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i am not totally without sympathy for your position, but the family should have refused a state funeral. by accepting this, they must also accept that it is a political event. i also think that the hardship suffered by millions as the result of her (and reagan's) actions far outweighs anything i can imagine the grieving relatives would experience. it's sad they had a monster in the family, but it is not unheard of for people to act morally in situations like these... perfect example:

"Ron Reagan Jr.: My father is 'fetish object for the far right'"

source:
    http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/bel...n-reagan-jr-my-father-fetish-object-far-right

vuk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.