Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thatcher gone

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Ernie CA, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

'cos it's patriotic innit. It was the Sun wot won it, etc.

Morrissey's comment about Thatcher's coarseness struck a chord with me, and Glenda Jackson has her spot-on as well. It's what I was trying to say last night about her essential plebeian status in my eyes, and I'm far from posh. Although she rose from a corner shop, she never really left that humble status behind, and the ludicrous accent she adopted in later life made the whole facade even more ridiculous.

A very silly, very expensive funeral for a widely-disliked character. I hope it doesn't go badly, but I fear it will, and if it does, it will turn us into a global laughing-stock. I wonder what Danny Boyle is doing right now.

2. dss

dss Musical Bons

Well, I was at St.Pauls today and apart from a few police, it was surprisingly quiet is it.

Not a very well organised affair if you ask me there.

DS

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

...but surely you should be going to join the protests?

i am confused.

vuk.

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

are you serious? isn't this a perfect case of mick being right and people just moaning about stuff? you too should be going to protest. i am tempted to fly over there, but this really should come from your people, not sympathetic outsiders.

the movement over here (occupy, the montreal students, etc.) ultimately fail because "critics" go on about lazy young people, how it's not the "real" public, lack of coherent ideology, no concrete evidence of institutional failure, you know the drill... you have grievances pretty much immune to these superficial counters and a disruptive protest would serve as a massive inspiration. seriously. we are all watching with great interest. well, at least me and all my pinko friends and parents.

vuk.

5. neil

neil Wish I could re member

Suggest you ask the relatives of the lads who died (on both sides), those who were burnt, lost limbs or wounded in any way or those who are still dealing with the mental repercussions of PTSD if you have the spine to do so.

6. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Morrisseys new statement sums it up extremely well

"The difficulty with giving a comment on Margaret Thatcher's death to the British tabloids is that, no matter how calmly and measured you speak, the comment must be reported as an "outburst" or an "explosive attack" if your view is not pro-establishment.

If you reference "the Malvinas", it will be switched to "the Falklands", and your "Thatcher" will be softened to a "Maggie." This is generally how things are structured in a non-democratic society. Thatcher's name must be protected not because of all the wrong that she had done, but because the people around her allowed her to do it, and therefore any criticism of Thatcher throws a dangerously absurd light on the entire machinery of British politics.

Thatcher was not a strong or formidable leader. She simply did not give a shit about people, and this coarseness has been neatly transformed into bravery by the British press who are attempting to re-write history in order to protect patriotism. As a result, any opposing view is stifled or ridiculed, whereas we must all endure the obligatory praise for Thatcher from David Cameron without any suggestion from the BBC that his praise just might be an outburst of pro-Thatcher extremism from someone whose praise might possibly protect his own current interests.

The fact that Thatcher ignited the British public into street-riots, violent demonstrations and a social disorder previously unseen in British history is completely ignored by David Cameron in 2013. In truth, of course, no British politician has ever been more despised by the British people than Margaret Thatcher.

Thatcher's funeral on Wednesday will be heavily policed for fear that the British tax-payer will want to finally express their view of Thatcher. They are certain to be tear-gassed out of sight by the police.

United Kingdom? Syria? China? What's the difference?"

7. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

No, but if it was to be a state funeral I would've felt obliged to protest.

vuk

The reality of big bro' Britain is anyone planning to protest, however peaceful in intent, will most likely be kettled for 6 -12 hours with an outside chance of a stitch up &/or beating too.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

they can't do that to hundreds of thousands of people. you were able to pull off the riots quite successfully...

vuk.

9. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

10. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

Out of interest Chris, which of the nasty, vicious & undemocratic regimes she helped prop up was your particular favourite? Suharto's in Indonesia? Pinochet's in Chile? Saddam's in Iraq? The Saudi's or the apartheid government in South Africa? Or was it her efforts on behalf of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge that you really admired?

http://www.newstatesman.com/node/137397

11. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

This aspect seems reasonable to me, not party political, after all much of her government didn't believe the armed forces could do the job. If you're doing a public ceremonial funeral with military pall bearers then fine.

I don't quite understand who qualifies for the ceremony though. Would it be assumed appropriate for Blair when the time comes? What did the Queen Mother get?

Paul

12. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

He did try to stage a rather ill advised coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea though.

Rich

13. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

For which he has a notable criminal record. I image there will be a few African countries he daren't set foot in, the ones with an extradition agreement with Equatorial Guinea. Even the U.S blocked his entry for a period.

15. TheDecameron

She really nailed it. I also enjoyed the Speaker putting the member for Banbury in his place in such a masterful fashion at the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Superb stuff! Go Glenda! \o/ I'm so pleased she mentioned the 'care in the community' debacle.

17. dynodebs

dynodebs /°\

Does this exist anywhere outside the DM? I can't watch Parliament TV (site is not compatible with OS or browser) and I cannot find a transcript.

Just reading what the DM says, you'd have to be looking through a DM filter to read racism into her response to Greyling's rubbish.

Debs

18. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

yes! that is your culture at its greatest.

vuk.

19. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

If one listened to, or read, the contributions to the debate, one would wonder mightily at the logic of the 'ceremonial' funeral being given to Baroness Thatcher. It would certainly appear to be not in line with the wishes of Parliament.

20. TheDecameron

What I see are Thatcherite Tories denying the experience of those who suffered at her hands while none of those speaking for her victims are denying the enrichment that part of the same society gained under her patronage. How could they? That loud, repeated denial will simply mobilise opinion and action harder against her grandiose funeral. For me they are taunting people into anger. Its dreadful that it's turned out this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.