Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Thatcher gone

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Ernie CA, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Are you suggesting the option to negotiate a handover of the Falklands to the Argentinians at some point in the future did not exist?

2. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

You are struggling a bit, John.

:)

Chris

3. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Takes one to know one :)

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

if you add the old yugoslavian dictatorship (under tito the croatian) to your nasty regime list, i can vouch that your observations mach mine and, probably more convincingly, my parents'. one important difference, however, is that it is still less dangerous for you to fight it in the streets, primarily in terms of long term repercussions (you will not be officially named an enemy of the state and have you life ruined, if identified as a protester). so please, go out there physically and be disruptive. keep in mind that the world will be watching you. you have a rare stage to make a massive political statement that will help all of us.

btw--is anyone aware of a fund i can contribute to and help protesters needing travel funds?

vuk.

5. hpeter

hpeter Member

I am from India and we thought Thatcher was awesome. She had a certain dignity and grace that I am yet to see.

If you thought Thatcher was rough, we thought Indira Gandhi was Thatcher on steroids. Both belonged to the same era.

6. walriley

walriley Drum nut. Music nut. pix nut

Feels like trying to explain a point to a slow child, this. As I mentioned earlier, the Belgrano was OUTSIDE THE EXCLUSION ZONE, AND HEADING AWAY FROM IT, but the order came through to sink it anyway. That's when the real shit hit the fan. If that isn't pre-emptive aggression, I don't know what is, and it is this that leads me to the conclusion that her reasons for going to war were to win a second term off the back of the wave of jingoism that swamped the country after her 'victory'. Also, as another individual posted earlier, what happened to the diplomatic channels?

Finally, you seem to have made an assumption that I am only referring to Argentinian sailors. Did we Brits not suffer any loss of life in this manufactured-for-votes conflict?

7. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

Glenda Jackson summed it up for me:

"But the basis to Thatcherism - and this is where I come to the spiritual part of what I regard as the desperate, desperately wrong track that Thatcherism took this country into - was that everything I had been taught to regard as a vice - and I still regard them as vices - under Thatcherism was in fact a virtue: greed, selfishness, no care for the weaker, sharp elbows, sharp knees. They were the way forward ..."

Mick, Prowla, Mescalito and fellow travellers, this seems to be your raison d'être. Any comments?

8. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

The spikiness has been honed to a fine point. It takes skill to be so selfish and happy to post such opinions.

9. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

Pointless guff from Ms Glenda, as with pretty much all generalisations it's just based on her own prejudice, and not fact. She came out with this in 2011:

"Glenda Jackson was plunged into a race row last night after she suggested migrants were engaged in ‘picking strawberries’ and ‘digging up potatoes’.
    Labour leader Ed Miliband faced calls to discipline the MP for Hampstead and Kilburn in north London after her comments were condemned as ‘incredibly ignorant’.

10. simeon

Ah, that's ok then. Thanks for putting me straight. T****r

11. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

You're the one who asks for 'any comments'

12. Brian

And so far he got some frankly pointless guff in response.

13. spacejay

spacejay good at being mediocre

can we all perhaps agree that mark thatcher is a contemptible little shit?

14. Brian

Could be but the fact is he hasn't done anything like the damage to the country and ruined the lives of millions of people the way his mother and her cronies managed to do.

15. simeon

Hey, I'm up for that :)

16. simeon

Hey, I'm up for that, too :)

17. Robert

Robert Tapehead

So is anyone planning to go watch the procession on Wednesday?

I'm tempted to go look, though I don't quite know why :confused:

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I'm thankfully otherwise occupied bewildering passing museum visitors with a vintage valve-based computer. I shall therefore miss the whole thing, which I suspect will be good for my blood-pressure.

19. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

It should be a public holiday in memory of all the enforced holidays she imposed on 3.5 million unemployed...

20. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

Don't yield to the temptation, Rob. You'll only end up depressed. I'll be 50 on that day, and will be staying as far away from the television as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.