advertisement

Thameslink

Walk to Shadwell via petticoat lane and commercial road, take the overland direct to West Croydon, walk to East Croydon. Picturesque route.

Or, bus 149 to London Bridge then hop on the train.

East and West Croydon are both contactless.

'Best' would be a journey that didn't terminate in Croydon.
I had a most interesting day in Croydon today. Just wallowing in the nostalgia of times had there, 50 years ago, and people once known.

Amusing signs initially greet the visitor: Creative Croydon and Croydon Borough of Culture.

A bit shocked by some of the dereliction there; boarded up department stores and proliferation of vape shops.

The other extreme is the surfeit of massive flashy looking office tower blocks that create a claustrophobic atmosphere being shoed in at every opportunity.

And the transport infrastructure has been updated quite a bit with contactless Thameslink, trams and the like.

Yes quite a culture shock!

I've had occasion to visit Heron House, the Home Office building, a few times. The aimless, lackluster clusters of refugees there for processing are a very dispiriting presence. The design of the building seems almost wilfully unwelcoming.

I visited Fairfield Halls, Croydon College and Mcdonalds.

OK a bit ashamed about the last one. Though the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Nevertheless I was very impressed with the positive "air" about the place. That is a generalisation. Some parts are definitely sad and neglected.

Overall though I felt a sense of warmth about being there, especially around the college. I was there myself 50 years ago.

It gave me a start in life, many memories, and still seems vibrant today.

advertisement

Back