advertisement

Tesla truck!

max.

what is the utility here?
Many are saying it's not really going to go into production, that Musk is just having a bit of craic.

If he really is going to make it a thing then I'd say its utility is whatever one wants it to be; mostly a fast toy for wealthy Yanks.

I don't think there are any pedestrian crash test standards in the US. Pedestrians are probably poor, takers not makers, and therefore you're doing society a favour by removing some from the gene pool on your way to the office/gym/grocery store. (I am, of course, not being serious).

They do have a bunch of standards re vehicles. The yanks are the reason the Fiat X1/9 ended up so ridiculously heavy, and the MGB ended up so ridiculously ugly with rubber bumpers. They're also responsible for the uglification of the early 911's with slabs of rubber instead of neat chrome bumpers.

With straight panels and glass as well as a straight metal dashboard with one screen, I’m surprised it costs $30k... Should be more like 15k!
I dunno. A Landie Defender is flat panels and AFAIK single dash, have you seen what they cost?

They do have a bunch of standards re vehicles. The yanks are the reason the Fiat X1/9 ended up so ridiculously heavy, and the MGB ended up so ridiculously ugly with rubber bumpers. They're also responsible for the uglification of the early 911's with slabs of rubber instead of neat chrome bumpers.

True but I don’t believe there are any standards related to pedestrian safety.

It's actually worse than that. The ugliness was at the behest of the insurance companies who stipulated that new cars must be able to survive a 5mph collision without incurring damage that would necessitate an insurance claim. These days the insurance companies (IIHS) do drive occupant protection (aka crash testing), but they are still not sufficiently enlightened to extend that to pedestrians or occupants of other vehicles.

It had to come up:

xRE3JIc.jpg

Reading between the lines this guy is making a prototype ruggedised truck for dealing with large crowds of people that want to attack you... easy to ride over and through crowds with a cleave action — ppl will just roll off that stealth/triangle form, very few latch points, few breakpoints, flame munitions have limited pooling and seepage opportunity, high travel, needs work on the armoured windows (uh, prototype) a vehicle for the hyper-wealthy wanting security if they encounter an uprising. wheels are a weak point, a chain wrap and a drag bar will stop it so expect some sort of mount point for optional ablative wheel covers later on. The Tyres probably also need addressing in the face of a riot, but they tend to be application specific.

Robocop-inspired adolescent techno futurist shtick.

Whoops. I think they need to keep Musk away from the public- he’s firmly established himself as a corporate liability to Tesla

As far as the public are concerned, he is Tesla.

He’s an interesting guy. Like a modern day Howard Hughes. How long until the biopic?

The truck is kind of crazy. Maybe he did it for a bet with his girlfriend, just like when he set the Tesla IPO price?

Apparently, advance orders have gone through the roof.

Kind regards

- Garry

The Musk product I want is the totally not-a-flamethrower, the fun I could have with that...

04FE6D3E-95E5-4825-A9DF-B318B8B5442A_w1597_n_r1_st.png

I’d looked into the Tesla powerwall home battery unit to sequester our excess wind and solar but at the time it, like all the others, didn’t supply electricity during a power cut so not useful to me.

This truck would look out of place in the first Blade Runner.

Surprising when you behold the rather conservative design of their sedans, largely copied on recent European cars like Jaguars and Peugeots to name but two.

Worst design ever IMO. And what for? Such vehicles don't make sense nowadays.

This truck would look out of place in the first Blade Runner.

Worst design ever IMO. And what for? Such vehicles don't make sense nowadays.

In the US, an awful lot of 'cars' sold are actually pick-up trucks. It's a very different market from Europe.

A battery-powered pick-up is certainly a novel combination. Must be going for the eco-friendly redneck market: the kind of guy who will chop down half a forest in the morning, but then needs to carbon offset.

Kind regards

- Garry

It’s aimed at Silicon Valley frat boys with money to burn. It’ll be the new obviously-loaded sign as you drive down to Monterey on Highway 1/101

advertisement

Back