advertisement

Tesco Thievery

I went into the Ashby (de la Zouch) store today (a middling-small branch) and bought some fresh meat. As the lad behind the counter put it into the sealed clear container that has been the norm' for several weeks, I said - "presumably because it isn't sealed and can lose blood?".
He grinned and said "you'd think so, but no - theft. £700-worth of meat was stolen in one week". The containers must be security-tagged.

I was lost for words and said so.
“Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.”

A while back I got to the car and found a ‘lost’ cucumber in the bottom of the trolley….it had not made it to the belt. I wondered for a minute and thought it would be more hassle to go back and try to pay for it.
Is this a Frankie Howard gag?

A while back I got to the car and found a ‘lost’ cucumber in the bottom of the trolley….it had not made it to the belt. I wondered for a minute and thought it would be more hassle to go back and try to pay for it.
Do you sometimes run through the farmers' field of wheat too?

You see, other people see another angle to the story - the thought had never occurred to me!
I couldn’t help myself. I think it was because it reminded me of a joke about the supermarket cucumber slicer which relied on confusion about whether it was a machine or the person who operated it…

That's one big plus of shopping at Waitrose, over Tesco and Sainsburys. The self-checkouts don't weigh anything, so you don't get the incessant 'unexpected item' message all the time (tautology?). I don't know why but it grinds my gears that Tesco start from an assumption of criminality, rather than incompetence. I don't mind paying more for a bit of civility. Mods - please relocate in the Curmudgeon Thread if necessary.

My sister and I, with friends, occasionally raided Woollies in our young teens. Because it was a must-have toy then, we half-inched green plastic jumping frogs. We then hopped it.

A chap got caught stealing an advent calendar late last year. He got 25 days.

advertisement

Back