Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tesco Thievery

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Vinny, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I went into the Ashby (de la Zouch) store today (a middling-small branch) and bought some fresh meat. As the lad behind the counter put it into the sealed clear container that has been the norm' for several weeks, I said - "presumably because it isn't sealed and can lose blood?".
    He grinned and said "you'd think so, but no - theft. £700-worth of meat was stolen in one week". The containers must be security-tagged.

I was lost for words and said so.

julifriend likes this.
  2. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Good to hear about some proper crime in the market towns of England!

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I was in my local lidl's a couple of weeks ago and lucky enough to find a pack of 2 rump steaks reduced to 70p as sell by ran out that night. On my way out the security alarm went off and I looked at the bloke on the checkout... who replied "just ignore it mate it's yer meat"

LApstrE and gavreid like this.
  4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I worked part time in the Beers, Wines and Spirits section of Sainsburys in Wood Green for three years. The number of shoplifters was astonishing. Quite often once they'd twigged they'd been spotted they'd just smash the bottle on the floor and stroll out. The security guard got shot at once legging it down the road after a bloke who'd nicked a bottle of brandy.

5. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I used to steal ‘swoppit’ toy soldiers from Woolies when I was small. We used to bury them and only take home occasionally to avoid suspicion. Unfortunately one of the gang couldn’t hack deferred gratification, took his stash home and spilled the beans once his parents got suspicious. Generously, he grassed us up, even claiming I was the ring leader! I haven’t stolen anything since. Catch ‘em young is my motto figuratively and literally.

This has its downsides. I use my own bag rather than a basket. I’d overlooked a small bag of sesame seeds I’d bought one day so ended up paying for the same thing twice today. Such is the trauma of being caught thieving at a tender age I like to think. You need decent parents for this to work of course…

6. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

Fairly standard, meat has become much more of a commodity now over alcohol, because a quarter of the country is starving.

Thank the gobshiting Tories for that.

oldius, Ali T and Arkless Electronics like this.
  7. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

I lived in Turnpike Lane for a year. Next door to the Ricin plot! Actual, next, door.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  8. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

One of my local Co ops had all their joints and steaks in big plastic security containers because so much was being stolen.

9. Arkless Electronics

I recall about 12-14 years ago when the big supermarkets where trying to out do each other on cheap electrical goods but meat had already become silly money being stunned that I could buy a set top digital receiver for TV with all the high tech that involves for only £9.99 but a joint of lamb was £14!

10. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

TV will get you through times of no meat better than meat will get you through times of no TV. :)

11. Arkless Electronics

Not quite as apropos as Freewheelin' Franklin's original though

12. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Desperate times - speaking of which, does your avatar represent home-cured, free-range prosciutto, perhaps ..? ;)

Rob998 likes this.
  13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

<moderating>

Some posts removed. May I politely request people do not try to turn my website into the Daily Express.

oldius likes this.
  14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Very well said, and done.

15. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

A while back I got to the car and found a ‘lost’ cucumber in the bottom of the trolley….it had not made it to the belt. I wondered for a minute and thought it would be more hassle to go back and try to pay for it.

16. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

I remember a story at Asda where people would go in with stamped addressed Jiffy bags, stuff them full of DVDs etc and use the in store post office counter to send them home. Brilliant.

MikeMA, Rob998, Spraggons Den and 2 others like this.
  17. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I’m getting adverts for Wagyu steaks at the top of this thread now! :p

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Since covid arrived we have got used to having deliveries from our local Morrisons.
    On one occasion they delivered something we would never buy, a bag of 48 frozen sausage rolls not on the order by mistake.
    We phoned the driver and he said keep them, I’m not coming back for them.
    We’ve also had beer bottles delivered with one leaking and been credited for the whole pack of beers when we reported it on line.
    Needless to say I am impressed.

19. garyi

garyi leave blank

My son ordered a secondhand gaming mouse from CEX, they sent two. He is delighted and really I cannot be arsed to argue.

20. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I think calling people bitches is probably equally bad as turning Tony’s site into the Express. Sorry if I deleted your post for quoting it. Not sorry for deleting the post itself.

<moderating>

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and robs like this.