advertisement

Tellurium Q Black my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried them with ATC 40's ? They are tri-wirable so I suppose I need 2 jumpers per speaker or is there a bi-wire + 1 jumper per speaker option ?

I was looking to tame some brightness in my system naim 5i,nait cd5 kef iq50s.I was running cord oddesey 2.My local dealer loud and clear in glasgow gave me a loan of tellurium blue.I was taken aback with the difference.The best way I can describe it is the picture on the tellurium site with the guy playing the guitar.I replaced the chord for a comparison and only lasted a couple of songs before switching back.I was then persuaded by my son to try it in his(my old system) system..old cyrus 1 ,ruark swordsman,dac magic.If anything the leap in performance was more pronounced,It sounded better than it had in the preceding 20 years.I had to try the black,just out of interest of course.I now have 2x 5m runs.If your happy with your equiptment but just want to get the most out of it the blue or black are excellent.

I don't know, but the price includes termination with some nice 4mm z plugs
Muttley,
I see from pics of the Tellurium cables that they are terminated with a kind of plug I remember having tried once that seemed to fit a bit tightly in the Arivas' sockets, leaving me uncomfortable about them: how do they behave in your Naim amp? I normally am more confident with Deltron type plugs.

Thanks,
Massimo

Massimo the cables use a z plug and they fit perfecly, not tight, no forcing, just right.

The worst ones I have experienced were from Chord. They were so tight I thought the socket was going to break. To cap it all they sounded crap and I had to take them out which was equally as painfull.

You will have no issues at all with the Tellurium plugs.

A week in and these cables are really showing their class. Bass depth and clarity is amazing. Detail is better than ever. Its a bit like having an upgrade to the electronics! without the cost

I'm a big fan of the blue. My NVA AP50 seems just as happy with it as the 72/Hi/140 is. It's a bit darker, more subtle sounding than NACA5. Wonder if it's worth upgarding to the black.

Surprised Lou hasn't turned up yet...

waiting for a loan pair of blacks from Signals between my sia2150 and scm 19's..... should be here tues......

well initial impressions that this thin cable sounds way bigger than it ought. My atc 19's seemed to have gone from a focussed monitor to a bigger speaker. Will continue to listen as not sure whether the bass has the same quality as my chord epic super twin, its different and seems free from the speakers more but a bit looser. Interesting cable though and worth a listen for the money - will see how it develops over the long weekend ahead

Dare I ask what price is the Ultra Black & what is the chance of home demo in Leeds?
I currently have Avondale blacklink (?) and would be keen to compare?

A google search showed:

The Tellurium Q Ultra Black Speaker Cable is the flagship product from Tellurium.

Priced at £248.00 per mono metre (this includes termination with high quality Z plugs)

A google search showed:

The Tellurium Q Ultra Black Speaker Cable is the flagship product from Tellurium.

Priced at £248.00 per mono metre (this includes termination with high quality Z plugs)

Ouch! That's too rich for me! It would cost me £500 for 10 metres of the Black so I would still want a demo before commiting. I've emailed the company to find out if they have any dealers in the Yorkshire area....

Sounds like a potential breakthrough product and if so, I wish them well but only our own ears will tell!

After (possibly) a little too much Rioja last night, I decided to take a punt on some of the Tellurium Q blue to try in my system. I'm using Avondale Blacklink at present & years ago I had NACA5.
I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to cables etc, but I figured that whatever cable "loses" the Blue vs Blacklink comparison, I can sell on with not many ££'s lost. Assuming I can hear ANY difference, that is!
The speaker cable will be used with my Graaf GM50 valve amp, running into Focal 1007be's.
So here I am, a cable cynic, waiting to be impressed.
Matt.

....then there's the miles of very thin 'cable' in your transformers just before the fancy stuff you're buying :)

Would you hook up your boutique cable to 30m of bell wire between say your solid state power amp and your speakers?;)

My mistake- I didn't realise your amp could be an OTL one

Ahh, ok.
As I said, I'm a bit of a cable sceptic, but figured that it may be a fun & low cost experiment. Other posts have said that the Blue is a good blend with Focal speakers. How it might work with my valve amp, I have no idea.
There is a significant part of me that hopes I won't hear any difference, compared to my Blacklink, which itself is an incredibly thin cable. I will keep an open mind, have a good few hours listening & report back, if anyone else is interested. If I think I can hear a significant difference, I may well use it as an excuse to drag another doubter over to mine to collate thoughts. The whole exercise won't cost much more than a curry & a beer or two & may be thought provoking.
Or not!
Matt.

I have to say the Black is the only speaker cable when the sonic improvement was vast and noticable.
I have had cables from QED, Chord, Townshend and numerous others where any difference was negligable. (chord rumour was shockingly awful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back