advertisement

Telephones

Here’s all you need to get it to work (eBay)! Not every UK area still supports pulse dialling, so it may not ring out (it works here ok), but it will certainly ring in and you can answer calls.
Yay, it works in all respects! Or at least did once I remembered I pulled the bell wire off the extensions many years ago, when these things were necessary to get any kind of bandwidth through the phone sockets. So it has to be next to the master socket in the kitchen. No problem, and it can keep Fred the Homepride man company. They’ve both known me for more than fifty years.

A few questions. One for Tony in particular - how does one apply the lubricating oil? The dial on the 746 seems quite well enclosed. Does anyone know now I can get my blank dial label printed up with the period exchange and number in the correct fonts? And does anyone know how I might get Fred some new 3D printed hands? He’s a happy soul and never complains, but it must be difficult.

51440098258_5671e4d065_z.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A few questions. One for Tony in particular - how does one apply the lubricating oil? The dial on the 746 seems quite well enclosed.

To be honest I’d not bother. If the dial is working perfectly (and if you can dial out with it then it is) then just leave it be. The only ones I’ve ever had any issue with are the far older type 10s and 12s, which I guess due to age and use can be a bit slow or sticky. There is a superb web resource here.

You can create a reproduction label of that era here. I actually keep mine original, i.e. they bare no resemblance to where I live or my number. The 232 in use has an ancient (1940s I guess) label from Great Crosby.

To be honest I’d not bother. If the dial is working perfectly (and if you can dial out with it then it is) then just leave it be. The only ones I’ve ever had any issue with are the far older type 10s and 12s, which I guess due to age and use can be a bit slow or sticky. There is a superb web resource here.

You can create a reproduction label of that era here. I actually keep mine original, i.e. they bare no resemblance to where I live or my number. The 232 in use has an ancient (1940s I guess) label from Great Crosby.
Great, thanks a lot. I want to change the number as keeping the old one will only present me with opportunities to drift back into the past when I see it, not necessarily a good thing.

We've always had a home phone, since my earliest memory (late 60s). I still remember our telephone number from then, but I cannot recite my daughters' mobile numbers without looking up my contacts. Our current 'landline' home-phone connects to fibre, and I'm aware it won't work in a power outage. I'm inclined to give it up completely.

Our house always had two telephones back in the 1950s. Having an illegal betting shop in the front room it was a necessity. One with a number everyone knew to take bets, and one with a number nobody knew so you could lay off bets in an emergency if the other phone was busy. There was also a "blower" direct connection to the racecourse.

advertisement

Back