advertisement

TeddyPre

bob atherton

pfm Member
The TeddyPre is now at long last available and I have ordered mine!

I’m expecting it to be at least as good as a Naim 52 S/cap. This is a lot to hope for I know but Teddy has not let me down yet.

I will of course post my findings when it has settled into the system. Haven’t been this excited about new black boxes for a very long time :)

Is it just a copy of the NAim pre circuit our are you expecting teddy to build a better pre-amp circuit than Naim could manage?

Is it just a copy of the NAim pre circuit our are you expecting teddy to build a better pre-amp circuit than Naim could manage?

It certainly is not the same as the Naim circuit and yes, I'm expecting Teddy to build a better pre-amp circuit than Naim.

Nothing on his website ?
How much will it cost ?

Teddy sent me an email as I've had one on backorder for ages. It's a two box design and costs about £1150 (depending on the exchange rates). I guess he hasn't put it on his site yet. Hope I haven't spilt the beans too soon...:eek:

Teddy usually does things differently, ...let's hope the preamp will give some more expensive preamps(Naim or other) a good run for their bucks(or shekel...).
Has enybody heard Teddy's Mono blocks ?

Nothing to do with Naim pre amps... :)

In a nutshell, it is a unique circuit based on jFet transistors and no feedback loop (just local feedback). It has +/- power rails and six SuperTeddyRegs. The circuit is built on a carefully designed six layer gold plated PCB, and comes with remote control for volume (analogue) and mute. It has 4 aux inputs and one home theater bypass input. As can be seen on the pictures all connectors are WBT nextGen,

I will add it to our web site soon with more details.

Teddy

It's a two box design and costs about £1150 (depending on the exchange rates).

If it's better than your 52/Supercap that will be some achievement! That price is quite close to what I paid for a service on my 52/52PS about two years ago!

Much as though I do love Naim stuff, the on-going costs of Naim ownership are beginning to wear me out. I'm now looking at my 300 and wondering what a service will cost in 5 or 6 years and thinking should I sell it when I can and get one of Teddy's power amps.

Looking forward to your review Bob and seeing those pics.

I think calling what I might have to say a 'review' is a bit over the top but I will certainly say how it compares to my existing pre. Not sure yet when the first TeddyPre's are being shipped but my best guess is that I will have something to contribute in about three weeks time.

Thats great! :) Bob, what preamp are you using now?

A 72 (boards stripped and with Avondale 821's) and a Teddycap III.

I would love to have done an A/B with a 52 S/cap but have heard many of them in my time. I'm sure someone will try out a TeddyPre who owns a top Naim pre.

Hi Bob,

You're welcome to bring it round to mine - I'm using a 52/S'Cap - when it's fully run in for a direct comparison if it turns out to be a good 'un.

Dave

Hi Bob,

You're welcome to bring it round to mine - I'm using a 52/S'Cap - when it's fully run in for a direct comparison if it turns out to be a good 'un.

Dave

Sounds like a good plan Dave. Where are you?

Just looked where you are. East Sussex and I'm in Bristol. Maybe a bit too far..?

Bob,

Will be interested to hear your thoughts. I think I might take the plunge too.

Only thing would be getting a separate phono stage should the LP12 get much of an outing in the future.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm in East Sussex. A couple of the guys are coming down next Saturday if you're free.

Dave, thanks for the offer but that is one hell of a round trip. I'm sure in time someone will be trying out the TeddyPre who has something on the lines of 52 S/cap and it would be also maybe better to hear from them rather than just an A/B in your home. Kind offer though.

Dave, thanks for the offer but that is one hell of a round trip. I'm sure in time someone will be trying out the TeddyPre who has something on the lines of 52 S/cap and it would be also maybe better to hear from them rather than just an A/B in your home. Kind offer though.

No problem, Bob.

It's here. I replaced the 72, TeddycapIII with it last night :)

Will get back with opinions in two or three weeks when settled in.

advertisement

Back