advertisement

TeddyPardo quality

timeout

ignorance is bliss
much said about Teddy Pardo Quality designed power supply integrated amp or PR+ST60

are they in the same league or close compared to Accuphase integrated amp?

Definitely far less bling. Reliability not an issue with Teddy, but the build quality is more adequate for the job than overdone from my experience with Teddy PSUs.

I've notice a tendency just lately for questions to pop up asking if Teddy Pardo is better than X or Y. I suspect its because TP gear isn't quite so easily available for direct comparison. I have a TP ST60 plus DAC-VC, I'm very pleased with it and I think it can certainly stand comparison with most similar amps at the price point or indeed higher. But it is the product of a small boutique designer and manufacturer and the finish and facilities on offer reflect that. I'm sure the Accuphase is also an excellent product, but it's very different, produced by a large manufacturer, with a level of bling and facilities, tone controls, power meters, logic controlled relays and I suspect a much more comprehensive remote. If your main concern is SQ and you are prepared to accept a fairly minimalist design philosophy the TP is an excellent choice. If you want the features and modern looks of the Accuphase then I'm sure its a good choice too.

ps

I must say I have a sneaking suspicion that carefully volume matched and allowing for the fact that that Accuphase is probably a bit more powerful, Id probably be hard pressed to distinguish between the two on a blind test.

...it is the product of a small boutique designer and manufacturer...

Selling over a thousand of units per year and still growing, I don't know if we can still call ourselves boutique designer, though I definitely like that title... ;)

Regarding the build quality, indeed we focus on sound quality and build quality rather than fancy look. I don't know many manufacturers even at several times the price who use WBT-NextGen connectors, Grayhill selectors, or the quality of components we use. Since our business model is not based on maintenance (actually we have never charged a penny so far) we design our products to last.

BTW, all our enclosures are custom manufactured for us, so apart from the designer's cost, a fancier look will not necessarily cost more. I admit it is my personal taste... I prefer a simple and modest look which also reflects my design philosophy...

Teddy

Amps should be black, with no fancy knobs or meters, just an on/off switch and one LED to tell you its on. Keep them mysterious with the magic hidden away behind the anodised black metal case :)

Also like the NVA and Tom Evans amps for the simple but elegant look.

Selling over a thousand of units per year and still growing, I don't know if we can still call ourselves boutique designer, though I definitely like that title... ;)

Teddy

Hi teddy

Pleased to hear its going well. Probably you are moving out of the boutique category, though I doubt if Sony are trembling yet!

My next upgrade may be the USB async module, when I can afford it!

Andrew

I can't comment on the quality of the internals and the longevity/reliability is perhaps yet to be seen, but I'd be surprised if Teddy wouldn't repair a failed unit. Perhaps you'd comment on that Mr P? As for teh appearance, I like it. Couldn't realy care what it looks like to be honest, it's shut in a cupboard. Usefully, it's small and takes up less space, so that's a bonus. All of this has to be viewed in the context of the price to performance ratio as well. Fantastic VFM. I'm no businessman but I suspect there's a few sales missed here in the UK due to lack of dealer/dem facilities. I'd be hitting the button for an ST60 were it not for a roof repair, refurbing the bedrooom, booking a holiday….

Well built with stylish functionality is how I would describe Teddy's kit.

If you are looking for bling or a muscle power amp that will give you a hernia to lift it then look elsewhere.

If you like Naims design then you will probably also like Teddy's.

I personally like Teddy's and Naims design very much and the design is so similar that you can use both together. Someone not familiar with Naim or teddy would probably think the units were from the same manufacturer.

The quality feel and looks of the mb100 is just great.

If you like Naims design then you will probably also like Teddy's.

I personally like Teddy's and Naims design very much and the design is so similar that you can use both together. Someone not familiar with Naim or teddy would probably think the units were from the same manufacturer.

The quality feel and looks of the mb100 is just great.

Really !

I would think not, fact is some handfull of guys in here changed from Naim to Teddy gear

They liked what they heard

Most pointed out the sound was quite different and weeks needed to get used to another performance

Many threads started, Naim vs Teddy everything, maybe a natural follower of above

Most Naim boxes are heavy and to my understanding based on 1970's - 1980's technology

Well, at least some of the boxes share half width" size

I have said before that Teddy is (a) Naim on steroids ie more Naim than Naim and (b) Naim for the 21st Century. I'm not knocking the Salisbury boys at all - I used their products for 30 years and I still think that they are a magnificent company. I hope they struggle to keep up with the demand for the statement.

I have had a couple of the afore mentioned Nextgen sockets come loose in my TP gear,
BUT
I am an inveterate cable swapper, and possibly using over-tight phono plugs.
It was a simple job to re-tighten them inside the case (and in one situation, re-solder the connection which broke due to twisting the socket in the case during unplugging).

I have no doubt that TP would have fixed the problem if asked, but I did it myself.

I don't consider this a significant build quality issue, and have in fact just ordered some more gear from TP.

I have had a couple of the afore mentioned Nextgen sockets come loose in my TP gear,
BUT
I am an inveterate cable swapper, and possibly using over-tight phono plugs.

I don't consider this a significant build quality issue, and have in fact just ordered some more gear from TP.
Sounds to me like TP needs to put a drop of thread locking compound on the fixing screw!

Actually, they probably just need a washer. The case end plate seems just slightly too thin for the Nextgen sockets to tighten on it, so some rotation is possible if a twisting force is applied. If plugs are simply inserted without twisting, there is no problem.

Hmm, that is poor design. Most sockets have a locating peg for a good reason, or as you say use a shakeproof washer. Still, that's boutique designer stuff for you. You don't buy a Caterham and expect it to be as sorted and trouble free as a Toyota. A better car, yes, but you will look at some of the engineering solutions and say "Oh FFS, what were you thinking?" Not so a Corolla.

Where would we be without Steve and his automobile similes! Just to add unleaded fuel to the debate: I sold my Diahatsu and bought a Skoda Yeti and a bit earlier I sold my Avondale G1, Tpx2 and S100 and purchased a Teddy Pre and MB100’s. Like the change in cars I’m not looking back. Great amps.

advertisement

Back