advertisement

Teddypardo ND555 & NDS power supply is here

No Quarter

That i dont know as never tried that, or even heard a naim xps dr, but if it was me i would just add the xps + and keep the one i already have.

Andrews

I am sure you will like it, as the xps does have to work hard powering the NDS and adding a second one helps out alot.
I found it ran very hot with just one teddy xps, and was still quite warm even with both, but then socket one does use most off the power rails and socket 2 only 2 power rails i believe.

You can try and if you dont like always return it

Hound
You seem to be describing (and perhaps prefer and/or are more accoustemed to) the Naim 'sound' with its 'mid-bass hump'?

My system has changed massively since i first used teddypardo power supplies, i first had a xps on my naim nd5xs and a dual teddy cap plus on my naim 82, i enjoyed the sound upgrade these gave and also the price. Over the last few years my system changed and i still used teddy supplies and at one point i was using 3 supercap's on my 52, superline and snaxo.
But now i only have my original teddycap left that i use on my headline, the reason for that is because i now run a naim 552dr, 500dr and moved away from naim active speakers to passive pmc fact 12.
But with this the sound has also changed massively, its a very revealing system now and with that its more open to the effect that changes bring, i did find that over time i preferred my 552psdr, but the cost difference is massive between them and as i have said before, if you pick up a nice cheap NDS and dont have a naim555dr to power it, or the funds to buy one, the teddypardo would be a great way to go, as the twin box supplies do work well and are a bargin for the performance they will bring.
But if you want to 100% keep the naim sound signature then i am sorry to tell you that the 555psdr is the one to have still and in my 500 series system it just all works well together, but then so it should.
I am still trying them both at the same time powering different sockets and i am finding that much more difficult to come to a conclusion on, as sometimes i feel its worth it and others not, but then i dont know if its just me. But the 2 x power supplies does get very mixed results on the NDS and ND555, as some like it and others can't tell a difference. But it does look like its a slow burner rather than an instant hit and these kind of so called improvements i think are all in the mind, but then thats just my opinion and like all things hifi, you need to try for yourself and be open to it all and not just go with the flow, if you can't hear a difference that you like, then leave it.

I hope i have been helpful in my findings and as said its just my opinion, but which ever path you go down enjoy it
Cheers dunc

Andrews

I am sure you will like it, as the xps does have to work hard powering the NDS and adding a second one helps out alot.
I found it ran very hot with just one teddy xps, and was still quite warm even with both, but then socket one does use most off the power rails and socket 2 only 2 power rails i believe.

You can try and if you dont like always return it

Hound - Please can you indicate what the TXPS+ adds to the TXPS on the NDS?

No Quarter

That i dont know as never tried that, or even heard a naim xps dr, but if it was me i would just add the xps + and keep the one i already have.
Thanks for the the updates Dunc, I think I will keep my Xpsdr then, and add the Teddy Xps+ when funds allow it. I want to add a pair of Harbeth 30.1’s before the PS, so it might be later this year.

If anyone wants to try the teddy power supply and you are willing to pick it up and then drop it back to me then please just pm me
I live in Northamptonshire

Well its been a few weeks and in that time i have been using naim 555psdr on socket 1 and teddypardo ps on socket 2 using the standard naim burndy cables and custom cables mains leads, plenty of time to get accustomed to it, especially on my favourite tracks right now.

So with the weather horrible today, i decided to switch back to just the naim ps and play a few tracks to see if i felt something missing, on with Norah Jones first, first off it sounded more closed in, here voice not quite so strong and just slightly lacking, so i swapped it all back while everything was still warm and yes it all opened up once again, was quite taken back as before i had found it much harder to separate them. Maybe the teddy is nicely settled in now or maybe this particular album highlights it more, but rather than keep on swapping them, decided to leave it on both.

So my final conclusion on this is, YES go for it.
Any NDS user's out there with a 555ps and fancy a nice improvement for not that much, especially compared to what a naim 555psdr will cost, order yourself one, give it about 4 to 6 weeks to fully settle in and enjoy.

One other point i must add is that i have also just added a better melco to my system, was using a N100 to play my stored music, but now have a N1ZS/2, now this could be the reason i am hearing a much bigger difference than before, but as i said above the twin set up is staying as it has certainly lifted the NDS to a new level.

As i said above if anyone wants to try the power supply, just the xps plus or even both, then drop me a pm and we can sort it i am sure.

Well its been a few weeks and in that time i have been using naim 555psdr on socket 1 and teddypardo ps on socket 2 using the standard naim burndy cables and custom cables mains leads, plenty of time to get accustomed to it, especially on my favourite tracks right now.

So with the weather horrible today, i decided to switch back to just the naim ps and play a few tracks to see if i felt something missing, on with Norah Jones first, first off it sounded more closed in, here voice not quite so strong and just slightly lacking, so i swapped it all back while everything was still warm and yes it all opened up once again, was quite taken back as before i had found it much harder to separate them. Maybe the teddy is nicely settled in now or maybe this particular album highlights it more, but rather than keep on swapping them, decided to leave it on both.

So my final conclusion on this is, YES go for it.
Any NDS user's out there with a 555ps and fancy a nice improvement for not that much, especially compared to what a naim 555psdr will cost, order yourself one, give it about 4 to 6 weeks to fully settle in and enjoy.

One other point i must add is that i have also just added a better melco to my system, was using a N100 to play my stored music, but now have a N1ZS/2, now this could be the reason i am hearing a much bigger difference than before, but as i said above the twin set up is staying as it has certainly lifted the NDS to a new level.

I have just received m TXPS+ to add to my TXPS / NDS.
Straight out of the box, there is an improvement.
I hope I will not need to wait 4-6 weeks that you mentioned.
My recollection with ther TXPS was that it began to 'Sing' after a week.
My TXPS still fels warm, but the TXPS+ is cool to touch.

The xps plus does run much cooler than the xps on socket 1.
Glad to see you have liked the upgrade it brings and it will get better, trust me on that.

I have just received m TXPS+ to add to my TXPS / NDS.
Straight out of the box, there is an improvement.
I hope I will not need to wait 4-6 weeks that you mentioned.
My recollection with ther TXPS was that it began to 'Sing' after a week.
My TXPS still fels warm, but the TXPS+ is cool to touch.
That is good news, look forward to your thoughts after you get more hours on it.

Well if its anything like mine, it will get better.
My set up is sounding lovely and the best it has ever sounded, lovely deep fast bass and a nice detailed wide sounding top end.
My new melco has helped bring out the best in my NDS/555psdr/teddy xps plus.

Try nils lofgren, some must dream as the guitar really comes alive with the twin supplies, I have it ripped but the stream version sounds ok from tidal, just not as good but it will help show off what the extra power supply does

I have had my TXPS+ installed for a week, alongside my TXPS, using Teddy’s Brundys feeding into my NDS. The sound seemed to really change on day~ 4 and now seems stable, and I have tried removing the TXPS+ and comparing to the TXPS+/TXPS this evening

In short the sound is better – and the TXPS+ is staying.

By that I mean more lifelike such that I can listen at lower levels with the more enjoyment.

There is more base and probably mid-range – but this more difficult to discern. The high frequency are there – but perhaps a little ‘smoother’ . The depth and separation in space of parts of an orchestra sounds like a concert theatre.

I really feel that the NDS was designed for dual supplies!

I should add that in my experience (and in contrast to what Teddy may state) *both* the TXPS and TXPS+ benefit from better cables supplying the power to them, as well as better power. Both have ended up being fed from my Airlink BMU (with DC blockers - https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/members-system-information.235848/page-6 ). The TXPS+ is not so sensitive as the TXPS to this ‘better’ power and is acceptable if plugged directly into to wall mains – but does benefit from the BMU and DC blocker

Having read this thread I decided to give the TXPS+ a go. I’ve been using a Naim XPSDR to power both the analogue and digital on my NDS so the Teddy Pardo will power the digital side and the XPSDR analogue, with Naim Burndy cables for both power supplies.

The TXPS+ arrived today but unfortunately has been damaged in transit, the plastic front plate is cracked across one side. The package has clearly been opened at the top and resealed with different parcel tape. The inner plastic bag has been torn open so somebody (Customs?) wanted to see what was inside. There is a possibility that some of the internal protection has been removed or redistributed and the package dropped on a corner which caused the damage. Having said that, the box and inner protection material appear to be fairly basic in the first place.
But as far as I can see it is only the front panel that is damaged and I’ve emailed Teddy Pardo to see if he can supply a replacement panel rather than having to return the whole thing

Anyway, I plugged it in and the front light came on so it powers up OK. I’ve had it powered up for about five hours so far and already there is a significant improvement compared with using the Naim XPS alone. Overall the sound is smoother with added depth and clarity, with a tighter bass. So a decent upgrade so far.

Having read this thread I decided to give the TXPS+ a go. I’ve been using a Naim XPSDR to power both the analogue and digital on my NDS so the Teddy Pardo will power the digital side and the XPSDR analogue, with Naim Burndy cables for both power supplies.

The TXPS+ arrived today but unfortunately has been damaged in transit, the plastic front plate is cracked across one side. The package has clearly been opened at the top and resealed with different parcel tape. The inner plastic bag has been torn open so somebody (Customs?) wanted to see what was inside. There is a possibility that some of the internal protection has been removed or redistributed and the package dropped on a corner which caused the damage. Having said that, the box and inner protection material appear to be fairly basic in the first place.
But as far as I can see it is only the front panel that is damaged and I’ve emailed Teddy Pardo to see if he can supply a replacement panel rather than having to return the whole thing

Anyway, I plugged it in and the front light came on so it powers up OK. I’ve had it powered up for about five hours so far and already there is a significant improvement compared with using the Naim XPS alone. Overall the sound is smoother with added depth and clarity, with a tighter bass. So a decent upgrade so far.

Can I ask where you live?, I was just wondering if certain countries have stricter customs searches than others. Regardless, they should replace the packaging properly so the unit is not damaged. I am also thinking about getting an XPS+ to go with my Naim XPSDR, on my NDS. I have the Naim burndies, so is it possible to try switching the Teddy to both sockets? I thought it was recommended to remove the link plug, and use the XPS+ there only. I thought by doing this, the Teddy PS went on the analog side, you mention that it powers the digital side.

Hi
That is very intertsing - as there was a deep linear scratch on my TXPS+ - and the bubble wrap was 'open'. That might explain how teh scracth got there (I'm in the UK)

Can I ask where you live?, I was just wondering if certain countries have stricter customs searches than others. Regardless, they should replace the packaging properly so the unit is not damaged. I am also thinking about getting an XPS+ to go with my Naim XPSDR, on my NDS. I have the Naim burndies, so is it possible to try switching the Teddy to both sockets? I thought it was recommended to remove the link plug, and use the XPS+ there only. I thought by doing this, the Teddy PS went on the analog side, you mention that it powers the digital side.

I’m in the UK. Yes you’re right the Teddy XPS+ does power the analogue not the digital. I don’t think you can use it on the digital side as the Burndy socket is different. So if you already have a Naim XPS this would remain on digital (socket 1) with the Teddy on socket 2.
Teddy does do a separate power supply for digital but I doubt it would be any better than the Naim so I didn’t see the point of swapping out the Naim XPS for another Teddy.

advertisement

Back