advertisement

Teddy XPS just arrived

The XPS2 is an improved XPS - larger traffo etc. & I believe it started when the box style changed from olive to the current black case, so that is the easy ID'er.
The XPS & then the XPS2 ran up to the DR change (last year) with LM317 regulators. I believe the XPS cannot be DR'd, or at least Naim are not offering that, might be wrong, but I know the XPS2 can be factory changed. The current XPS2 is DR

A problem with a lot of forum chat is peeps sometimes write XPS & leave out the 2 so don't take it all literally.

Thank you for the clarification between Naim XPS psus. It would interesting to know if Teddy XPS is as good as Naim XPS DR.

I tried a borrowed XPS2 (LM317) but the traffo hummed & it blew a fuse when switched on, but considering I switch it on/off a number of times, forgivable but frustrating.
It really changed my CDX2 from a damn good player into something special. I've since moved on to NDX & although it improved the presentation, it is not such a step change as with the CDX2.
Anyhow, going back to my XPS testing, the change was so good I was not going to give up on getting that SQ into my system, but the Naim posed problems as above & also where to house it. I already had a Teddy TC-III (HiCap) & was very confident with the brand & its quality & in this instance its smaller size was really attractive.
Although I did not test the T-XPS A-B with the Naim unit at the time, its SQ qualities were much the same, so no brainer, it was a keeper.
I've since taken it to test in a friends system with CDS3 who had his XPS2 converted to DR - the same one I used to test with my CDX2 - & we really could not hear any difference, some maybe placebo/psychosomatic stuff. He said the Naim had a bit more warmth, but he was more familiar with his own system than I was.

Thank you for the clarification between Naim XPS psus. It would interesting to know if Teddy XPS is as good as Naim XPS DR.

Hi piscovery,

I've recently added a Teddy XPS to my 272 and after 2 weeks it's proving to be the best circa £900 I've spent in a long time.

Unfortunately I've not been able to do an A-B comparison at home but heard the 272 "naked" and with the XPS2 (DR) when I auditioned it at my dealer. The XPS2 lifted the already excellent 272 to another level. Sadly the XPS2 was financially out of reach if I was to avoid a certain lynching. Thankfully I was made aware of Teddy Pardo via PFM and his alternative PSU's for Naim which led to the purchase of the Teddy XPS at just under £900 shipped. Saved a significant amount of money and my testicles are safe for now!

Apologies for going around the block to answer the question but in my opinion the Naim and Teddy Pardo equivalent sound very similar if not the same albeit this is my opinion without a direct A-B.

I would suggest you can go down the Teddy Pardo route with confidence.

I hope that helps?

Interesting that you have a NAC-N 272. I am interested in one myself. I have read alot about it in the Naim forums and from my understanding an external psu will improve the sound alot. I am a little bit worried that Teddy XPS will take away the Naim sound (if the 272 has characteristic Naim sound?). I have owned 172/200 combo and now Teddy i80a and TeddyDac. The Teddy gear sound good no question about it, but I miss my Naim gear. Thought about Selling the Teddy Gear and buy a 272.

Interesting that you have a NAC-N 272. I am interested in one myself. I have read alot about it in the Naim forums and from my understanding an external psu will improve the sound alot. I am a little bit worried that Teddy XPS will take away the Naim sound (if the 272 has characteristic Naim sound?). I have owned 172/200 combo and now Teddy i80a and TeddyDac. The Teddy gear sound good no question about it, but I miss my Naim gear. Thought about Selling the Teddy Gear and buy a 272.

All I can say piscovery, is that to my ears the 272 + Teddy XPS has just taken the Naim "sound" I originally fell in love with to another level.

Having discovered Naim around a year ago, I find my self listening to more music than ever before which tells me something, and the 272 + Teddy XPS has only accentuated that.

Does the Teddy XPS sound as good as the Naim XPS2 is not easy for me as I didn't do a direct A-B dem. However I can't notice any difference from what I heard at the dealers compared to my home. Teddy Pardo offers a 14-day money back guarantee so I guess nothing to loose particularly when taking into account the price difference.

Hi piscovery,

I've recently added a Teddy XPS to my 272 and after 2 weeks it's proving to be the best circa £900 I've spent in a long time.

Do you have an update on your system? Still using the TXPS? Can you tell me whether it felt that good from the beginning or it took some time to give you that extra SQ?

Thanks.

advertisement

Back