advertisement

Teddy XPS just arrived

It depends on the transformer and the circuit being powered. If the transformer radiates electromagnetic field, or vibrations, and if the circuit is sensitive to the above it is an issue. On the other hand, a small electromagnetically shielded transformer is not an issue in most cases.

So, how is it sounding now?

M

It's sounding fantastic at the 2 week point... thanks for asking. I've read comments from people who say the impact of a XPS or TXPS is less dramatic when adding to an NDX relative to say a CDX2. I find that surprising, as it seems a very significant difference to my ears. The TXPS uncovers bags of detail that you just don't hear without it. It did take awhile for balance to be achieved, but after about 1 week of burn in things really started to fall into place sonically.

It's sounding fantastic at the 2 week point... thanks for asking. I've read comments from people who say the impact of a XPS or TXPS is less dramatic when adding to an NDX relative to say a CDX2. I find that surprising, as it seems a very significant difference to my ears. The TXPS uncovers bags of detail that you just don't hear without it. It did take awhile for balance to be achieved, but after about 1 week of burn in things really started to fall into place sonically.
Its so nice to see happy people talking themselves into even more happiness,:cool:

Excellent and thanks for your post. PS's do make a difference but the Naim offering is too much $ and space in my current rig.

M

Hi zipperheadbanjo,

Having had the Teddy XPS for some 6 weeks or so, would you mind sharing your conclusions now it's had time to properly run-in.

I'm looking to buy one for my recently acquired NAC-N 272 so i'm very interested.

Thanks

Paul UK

I have one for sale in the classifieds (just listed) if you are interested.

4 months old and used for just a few hours. Only 625.00 so a significant saving on the 842.00 new price.

An amazing piece of kit that delivers all the dynamism, PRaT and slam of a Naim unit with a further extended sound stage :)

I have nDAC 282 250 combination with TP power supplies on DAC and Pre. I have Teddys USB converter. Sound improvement from basic Naim to combo has been huge If I listen to Naim without TP gear tonally it is different. Bass thump on the combo goes but clarity and refinement has improved by a long way. I have loved TP equipment I have been to audio shows to see Teddy but never taken the plung to go all Teddy but I did purchase a Hegel 160. I am going open a new thread on this topic but the Hegal is just amazingly fantastic. This combination box out performs my combo by some way. A different avenue but it paid off

I have nDAC 282 250 combination with TP power supplies on DAC and Pre. I have Teddys USB converter. Sound improvement from basic Naim to combo has been huge If I listen to Naim without TP gear tonally it is different. Bass thump on the combo goes but clarity and refinement has improved by a long way. I have loved TP equipment I have been to audio shows to see Teddy but never taken the plung to go all Teddy but I did purchase a Hegel 160. I am going open a new thread on this topic but the Hegal is just amazingly fantastic. This combination box out performs my combo by some way. A different avenue but it paid off
Thanks for that GBM0138

Have you every compared the TP PSU's against the Naim equivalent?

When you say "Bass thump on the combo goes" what do you mean?

Thanks

Paul

I look forward to your findings, the what hi-fi review almost claimed it to be the second coming but then they would pay that. Edit: say that.

I have compared Naim with TP Power supplies. My view is the TP supply provides a much cleaner sound , more refined. The bass is deep when it's a deep bass note.

BTW Hegel 160 is amazing. I was heading for TP monoblocks an TP DAC but with VAT factored in I started to wonder if this was correct route. I had no doubt the sound would be good. I started to read about Hegel DAC and tracked Igloo Hifi dealer who distributes Hegel. Peter is the owner. Having chatted to him he suggested the Hegel 160. 14 day trial and the thought if I did not like it I could buy the TP kit. But as soon as I switched the Hegel 160 on I had a ver happy smile on my face. I had also listened to a Devailet 120 and much preferred the Hegel.

Hi zipperheadbanjo,

Having had the Teddy XPS for some 6 weeks or so, would you mind sharing your conclusions now it's had time to properly run-in.

I'm looking to buy one for my recently acquired NAC-N 272 so i'm very interested.

Thanks

Paul UK

Hi Paul.. apologies... I wasn't aware this thread still had life to it. I would highly recommend the TXPS as an extremely cost effective upgrade for your 272. Buy one and run it in and at some point in the distant future see if you can get a Naim XPS from your dealer for a demo for comparison purposes. The Naim psu may sound a bit different from the Teddy... but in my opinion it's not a question of better or worse. Just different. In my room, which is fairly small (14 feet x 15 feet), I'll take Teddy's detail and precision over the Naim slam. I actually really like the sonic blend that is achieved from mixing the Naim and Teddy gear.

Thanks for the update Zipperheadbanjo, much appreciated.

I did buy the 272 and it now has some 350hrs on it. So far i'm extremely happy with the upgrade from UnitiQute2/DAC-V1 as the 272 is in a different league with a wonderful open & airy sound, bags of detail and smooth. And DSD is a revelation!

When I auditioned the 272, I did try it with an XPS2 and the improvement was significant although the naked 272 can more than hold it's own.

I'm not keen on the Naim way of adding box after box so the 272 has given me a wonderful 2-box system with the 250.2 (albeit with soon to be added PSU) that i'm sure is going to prove very popular.

If honest I would prefer to go down the road of a Naim XPS2 but financially it doesn't makes sense based on the XPS2 being £3,635 and the Teddy XPS £870 (shipped to the UK) The difference in price is a lot of music download's/CD's or upgrades in other areas.

Thanks for the offer GBM0138 but I prefer to buy new.

Order will be placed when the salary drops end of next week.

I will report back with my findings and if the Teddy XPS is anywhere near the XPS2 i'll be a happy man!

I have compared Naim with TP Power supplies. My view is the TP supply provides a much cleaner sound , more refined. The bass is deep when it's a deep bass note.

Thanks for that and I appreciate the response.

As per earlier post i'm due to place an order soon.

Thanks for the update Zipperheadbanjo, much appreciated.

I did buy the 272 and it now has some 350hrs on it. So far i'm extremely happy with the upgrade from UnitiQute2/DAC-V1 as the 272 is in a different league with a wonderful open & airy sound, bags of detail and smooth. And DSD is a revelation!

When I auditioned the 272, I did try it with an XPS2 and the improvement was significant although the naked 272 can more than hold it's own.

I'm not keen on the Naim way of adding box after box so the 272 has given me a wonderful 2-box system with the 250.2 (albeit with soon to be added PSU) that i'm sure is going to prove very popular.

If honest I would prefer to go down the road of a Naim XPS2 but financially it doesn't makes sense based on the XPS2 being £3,635 and the Teddy XPS £870 (shipped to the UK) The difference in price is a lot of music download's/CD's or upgrades in other areas.

Thanks for the offer GBM0138 but I prefer to buy new.

Order will be placed when the salary drops end of next week.

I will report back with my findings and if the Teddy XPS is anywhere near the XPS2 i'll be a happy man!
What DSD albums have you been playing?And from what source?

All my DSD albums are from HighResAudio Japan or Germany - very price competitive compared to peeps like Qobuz & especially so HDT (UK).
I'm a new David Elias fan - US style folk - he has his own studio techniques this is worth a read for the recording studio nerdish. The SQ is stunning & if its indicative of all DSD, given a choice, I will not be buying 24/192 .wav in future

All my DSD albums are from HighResAudio Japan or Germany - very price competitive compared to peeps like Qobuz & especially so HDT (UK).
I'm a new David Elias fan - US style folk - he has his own studio techniques this is worth a read for the recording studio nerdish. The SQ is stunning & if its indicative of all DSD, given a choice, I will not be buying 24/192 .wav in future
Hi Barry,

Like Mike-B I've got mine from HighResAudio and Jazz at The Pawn Shop is sublime. David Elias is new to me is also and a great find. His DSD recordings are beautiful.

Sadly there is very limited DSD content available in the UK. Acoustic Sounds in the US have a good selection but you can't download from the UK.

advertisement

Back