advertisement

Teddy XPS just arrived

Here is an update 5 days into the TXPS burn in.

It's an interesting process as the unit does seem to take awhile to come on song, and there have been times during the past 5 days where I wasn't sure if I liked the "new" presentation more than what I'd experienced previously.

Around day 3 I really felt like the presentation of the music was falling apart... just lacking in velocity somehow.

Things started coming together more on Day 4, and I did some A/B testing where I alternated between the NDX onboard psu followed by the TXPS. The difference is really significant. With the TXPS the music does seem to "leap" from the speakers with more separation and detail, especially in the low and high band. This may come at a cost to the mid range. I'm not sure if it's just a little "buried" given the extra oomph at the extremes... perhaps this aspect takes a little longer to come together as the unit burns in. I'd also say the NDX bare may "swing" a little more... that infamous PRaT that people talk about.

I must admit though that after returning home from work today I queued up a 24/192 recording of Diana Krall Live in Paris... and the mid range does seem to be coming more on song now... what I'm hearing is rather hard to find fault with.

Another interesting point... I find with the TXPS up and running my comfortable listening level is around 8:30 - 9:00 on the 282 volume pot. With the bare NDX I was usually around 8.

Technically, it is better to have the regulators as close as possible to the circuit being powered. I think that the idea behind the external power supply was commercial, to offer an upgrade path.

Marketing department is nowadays as strong as engineers at Naim.
If I follow your idea, separate boxes might not be a valid reason enough to eliminate interferances or stuff ?
So multi boxes like the NAP300 or teddy supercap exists more because it is tied to the design of the products and lack spaces in a single box or the logic differs if analogic or numeric components ?

It's an interesting process as the unit does seem to take awhile to come on song, and there have been times during the past 5 days where I wasn't sure if I liked the "new" presentation more than what I'd experienced previously.

Around day 3 I really felt like the presentation of the music was falling apart... just lacking in velocity somehow.

Things started coming together more on Day 4, and I did some A/B testing where I alternated between the NDX onboard psu followed by the TXPS. The difference is really significant. With the TXPS the music does seem to "leap" from the speakers with more separation and detail, especially in the low and high band. This may come at a cost to the mid range. I'm not sure if it's just a little "buried" given the extra oomph at the extremes... perhaps this aspect takes a little longer to come together as the unit burns in. I'd also say the NDX bare may "swing" a little more... that infamous PRaT that people talk about.

I must admit though that after returning home from work today I queued up a 24/192 recording of Diana Krall Live in Paris... and the mid range does seem to be coming more on song now... what I'm hearing is rather hard to find fault with.

Another interesting point... I find with the TXPS up and running my comfortable listening level is around 8:30 - 9:00 on the 282 volume pot. With the bare NDX I was usually around 8.

I felt also that the Teddy brings a lot to the addition, more extended, less draft, but might change a bit the "swing" of the NDX. Same kind of effect with the 555PS. The Ndac respond better to the upgrade path.

As for the Teddy products made for naim they are really interesting to test. In my 202-200 system the Scap teddy was clearly better balanced and enjoying than the hi-cap or Hi-cap DR. For the same price a better experience and let you focus on other upgrades for a while.

Naim has a business model based on filling your room with expensive PSU upgrades, with associated expensive racks and cabling.
Its outdated.
Glad I got out of it. ;-)

The Teddy XPS is a fantastic product.

I had a Naim XPS powering my main CDS2 for years and after trialing a friend's Teddy unit I sold the Naim PS and bought a Teddy.

The CDS2 is a very refined player that produces a vivid yet graceful sound and with the Teddy PS all of its excellent qualities were further accentuated and evident.

Naim has a business model based on filling your room with expensive PSU upgrades, with associated expensive racks and cabling.
Its outdated.

+1. Wherever you are on the Naim ladder, you are never quite "there" and it'll be better if you buy "this" even more expensive box.

Haha, I am glad for you too, my bank advisor share my thoughts... ;)

Another annoying problem that you don't find with Teddy products is the MMMMMMM noise that I you can get with their big supplies (seems quite common) when I start the TV. I was expecting their DR to be more discreet... :D

+1. Wherever you are on the Naim ladder, you are never quite "there" and it'll be better if you buy "this" even more expensive box.

Which makes Naim different than other audio companies (or any manufacturer of consumer electronics, car companies, etc. etc.) how exactly?

That makes sense to a point but what if you want to buy the best Naim has to offer of a particular product in the current range, then basically you've no option but to have two boxes. There's seemingly no technical merit to having a separate PSU and according to Teddy_Pardo above, there's actually a benefit to having the PSU integrated within the main unit. With NDS you've no choice but to have two boxes because it doesn't have an internal PSU!

I suppose its horses for courses or the "Naim Way" as has been stated. Good to hear Mr Pardo has a much more sensibly priced and more compact option because £1650 plus for a PSU seems excessive to me. Glad you're enjoying the XPS Zipperheadbanjo.

Ideally the regulators should be as close as possible to the circuit being powered, and the transformer as far as possible. This is what we do with our two box products, the PR1 and and TeddySuperCap.

On one box products, when there is a risk of transformer noise, we use magnetically shielded transformers. In all our products however, the regulators are as close as possible to the circuit being powered.

A freshly ordered Teddy Pardo XPS just arrived via Canada Post. 4 days door to door. Quite impressive. Just installed it (unit is still cold… literally… from being in a Canada Post truck in -15 temps) onto my NDX.

Looking forward to hearing it after 4 hours of warm up time after I get home from work…. and to the bedding in process in general over the next 4 weeks.

Very interested as well. Would like to max out my source (NDX) to my SN2 either XPSDR then HICAPDR or TXPS/TCAP.

M

Very interested as well. Would like to max out my source (NDX) to my SN2 either XPSDR then HICAPDR or TXPS/TCAP.
I have read in another topic that you also have a ndac. If it is for NDX bare, the teddy is the wiser choice to see by yourself the difference.
As for the SN2 i tried briefly, when i received 202 200 HCDR, the HCDR on it and wasn't quite convinced. For the 202/200 when i swapped HCDR to SCAP teddy I was really surpised in a good way with the changes for more or less the same price.

I have read in another topic that you also have a ndac. If it is for NDX bare, the teddy is the wiser choice to see by yourself the difference.
As for the SN2 i tried briefly, when i received 202 200 HCDR, the HCDR on it and wasn't quite convinced. For the 202/200 when i swapped HCDR to SCAP teddy I was really surpised in a good way with the changes for more or less the same price.

Yes I have a NDAC and I could go either way NDX or NDX/NDAC, different signatures for sure and could try the XPSDR or TXPS on either for testing. I've not heard 202/200 but have dealer demo 282/250/HCDR in house for listen. The combo price is so good I may not be able to resist even though source for the demonstration will not have a PS powering either one. Have to admit the comments on this forum regarding the Teddy gear is intriguing and the lower price of admission is amazing. Lastly, before I do anything digital PS wise I plan to try a Chord 2Qute available in the US later this month.

I wait for 2qute too to see if they improve hugo as a standalone dac or not !
If I were you i would also keep in my mind a nds and a teddy xps to start. A NDX, plus a Ndac, plus a supply plus a good digital cable is not so war away from it. And after you are ok with your source.

So, how is it sounding now?

M

Ideally the regulators should be as close as possible to the circuit being powered, and the transformer as far as possible. This is what we do with our two box products, the PR1 and and TeddySuperCap.

Which of these is the biggest compromise i.e. having the regulators far away from the circuit being powered or the transformer close?

advertisement

Back