advertisement

Teddy Pardo TeddyDac DAC review

Hi, I strongly recommend to listen Teddy DAC first, having CDX2-2 & Naim DAC as well.
Sometimes it is a matter of taste & based on value/€ even better, clearly worth to try!

Thanks for the great review and Teddy's good sounding products, I've been enjoying TeddyDAC and TTouch PS for a few months. The SB Touch has been gone to Bolder Cable for digital modification and will be back tomorrow, power cords, digital link and analog interconnects have been upgraded to Signal Cables. They all (except for the DAC and TTouch PS) have or will have started running in within a week.

Teddy, since my speakers are active with built-in amps, I would like to know if you will make a preamp with the same quality build and high standards of good sound. That will complete your product line of electronics. Please consider it if you have not.

As far as I know, Teddy had been developing a preamp for a few months now. And I am currently waiting anxiously for this preamp to be launched :)

without much wish to go into discussions which involve personal taste, i would really love to be a witness of the test where altmann would play against teddy pardo DAC.

there is a simple test. play a dynamic piano track on altmann and on any of the modern DACs from the latest hype of the day crop.

it is very easy to hear the new designers omitted something important from their machines.

nothing against pardo DAC as i havent heard it but i would be very surprised if it even comes close to altmann in vital parameters.

without much wish to go into discussions which involve personal taste, i would really love to be a witness of the test where altmann would play against teddy pardo DAC.

there is a simple test. play a dynamic piano track on altmann and on any of the modern DACs from the latest hype of the day crop.

it is very easy to hear the new designers omitted something important from their machines.

nothing against pardo DAC as i havent heard it but i would be very surprised if it even comes close to altmann in vital parameters.

I must confess that I have only listened to, and lived with, a handful of the DACs that must be on the market; I guess I have other things to be getting on with in my life.

What I do know from over 35 years of living with a decent hi-fi, playing in bands and just being into music is that there will always be a certain track, or a piece of music, or a drum solo, or a single female voice or whatever…. that will always sound best on a certain piece of kit.

What I also know is that from day one of the TeddyDAC being in my system it has never failed to deliver music that is better on balance (see above paragraph) than my LP12 or any of my CD players or players and DAC combinations.

I remember Teddy saying way back that if I was only into rock music then I should stick with Naim, and I think he was right. As I am into a very broad range of music I am more than thrilled to have a system that gets it very right most of the time. I’m not saying that you might come to my home with box ‘X’ that will do something better than what I have, in fact I’m sure you could, but I very much doubt that you could find a DAC that could cover as many bases as the one from Teddy.

I never heard the altmann, but I am curious. He is in Germany, as I am, and the concept of non-oversampling always sounded most 'right'.

He seems to be pretty confident about himself, though....

I am a big fan of the teddy dac and would relish a good pre amp from the same stable. I look forward to it being available

I have both TeddyDAC and Altmann Attraction DAC. I used the TeddyDAC for over a year as the main DAC. Got the Altmann fairly recently.

The TeddyDAC is very good. With it albums tend to gather dust. Finally digital is getting interesting tg. Better late then never I guess. I do also have a ~ $10k LP12 setup (started with it in the mid 80's) with a $3600 Akiva MC on it the last 7-8 years or so FWIW. Use a Naim phono section wth it. It can sound very, very good.

I first tried the Altmann with a lab PSU. I knew already this lab PSU is ~ good in the grand scheme of audio things, easily besting for example a Naim Hicap when powering a Naim pre. Suspect it has a good switching PSU inside, which I think can/tends to work better in general (due to noise shifting out of the audio band basically) than simply trying to brute force filter the 120Hz ripple and such from a conventional design. And by definition, drawing energy from a PSU cap also drops it's voltage in lockstep. Anyway, was thinking I could perhaps use a quiet Teddy PSU to power it rather than a battery, having the PSU on hand already. And it was quite good that way, but wouldn't say head and shoulders better necessarily.

Then against what I thought was "educated" judgement (at the time), went ahead and bought an Optima battery and tried it. Cha-ching! Ok now we're really talking. It was a real eye opener and ty Mr Altmann for showing me the way. Now am even planning to power all my low level stuff basically with a big car battery array eventually lol ;)

So IMO the battery supply is also quite an important aspect of the wonderfully good sound of the AMM DAC. And yes it is wonderful. Have to agree with Dick Olsher. I think it's not just because the battery is quiet (though that is super important, maybe especially so for the DAC reference). But it's also a ~ gigantic energy well basically (effecitively infinte to a small load) that can't be taxed really by the line level power device. I mean, at the risk of greatly oversimplifying, the DAC analog side can swing as hard as it wants probably and it can't really budge the huge battery supply rail. I think that likely does wonders for the analog side.

Makes me want to try powering the TeddYDAC with a battery on the analog side as well. And I would soon, but rather than hack the unit up to experiment think I'll likely instead sell it to my boss who also loves it and wants it badly. Like many lately, he uses a pc for music so it's really good for him. Me, just an old redbook CD drive is how we roll, old skule (lol) (especially when it plays this well).

And BTW the AMM DAC JISCO option does work and makes a ~ dramatic improvement, removing another veil of digital nastiness. In my mind it is very effective at helping make the drive used relatively unimportant. I'd consider it a must have option.

Back to the experiment, I now have the Wolfson factory receiver eval module and their DAC eval module. When time permits I hope to experiment with them to try and learn just how much of the AMM DAC success is the battery supply, and how much is non-os vs delta-sigma done particularly well (ie the Wilfson). In other words, try powering the Wolfson setup by big battery too and see what it can do as a delta-sigma machine with (assumed) improved digital filtering. Trying to keep an open mind here.

And hope to really deep dive and try and learn more about jitter and how to eliminate it as much as possible. The Wolfson receiver seems to have a great scheme approach to handling it and want to try and study how well it actually does at reclocking and removing the jitter from the arduous SPDIF interface journey. But getting down into the 10's of ps is vanishingly hard to measure. However, am fortunate that we have many very high dollar, high speed scopes (> 10GHz) and such at work and we might be able to do a fairly decent job of accumulating, measuring and quantifying it.

Bottom line lessons learned recently: Jitter- bad, quite audible and nasty, even relatively small amounts of it. Non-OS approach with minimal output filtering- potentially seems quite good. Battery supply- seems very good, esp when relatively huge.

Sorry for all the rambling. Thought some here could relate at least.

T

I have had a TeddyDac for over a year and the best thing I can say about it is that I had completely forgotten about it,and I never even think about it in the chain. It is completely absent in terms of character, which I consider to be a very good thing. My Teddy Dac has inputs from; Squeezebox Touch with Teddy PS, Phillips Blu-Ray player and Virgin Tivo Box. All sound radically different from each other, with no obvious signature being imposed by the DAC. At times the sound is brilliant and at times dire, depending on the source material only. The rest of my system is Naim; 252, 300, SBL, and the DAC suits it fine, others I tried being brighter and more brittle sounding.

I have had a TeddyDac for over a year and the best thing I can say about it is that I had completely forgotten about it,and I never even think about it in the chain. It is completely absent in terms of character, which I consider to be a very good thing. My Teddy Dac has inputs from; Squeezebox Touch with Teddy PS, Phillips Blu-Ray player and Virgin Tivo Box. All sound radically different from each other, with no obvious signature being imposed by the DAC. At times the sound is brilliant and at times dire, depending on the source material only. The rest of my system is Naim; 252, 300, SBL, and the DAC suits it fine, others I tried being brighter and more brittle sounding.

Me too. I just forget mine is there, which is a good thing...:)

The LP12 hardly gets a look in now, which is a shame, but the TeddyDAC in my system is better, dependant on the disc of course.

I really rated the Teddydac, significantly ahead of the Rega Saturn I had at the time.

However, SteveS1 brought his Weiss Dac2 round and we both preferred the Weiss, either direct or by using the Teddydac via the async Firewire module of the Dac2. System at the time was NJ'd Nac 72 with a TPX1 a Zap 250 and Compasses - now the preamp has gone and I have Obelisks.

I'm not knocking Teddy's dac in any way, I thought it the best digital source I'd heard, but with my system and in my opinion, the Weiss bettered it.

I have just received my new Teddy Dac and ST60 this week and I an VERY impressed it, lets just say it replaces a CD5XS,NaimDac,200,202 and betters the Supernait,Uniti and Unitiqute with a more defined and dynamic presentation IMO. I am not going into a long winded review of adjectives to justify my purchase.
I think the Dac and ST60 look much better in person, the finish is attractive and this new Dac with volume control works for me...

Bravo Teddy!!!

Bit of a resurrection this...

Is anyone using a teddy dac with volume control into a pair of active speakers? Adams perhaps?

I'm thinking of dumping everything and just having one system which would be a dac and actives. No HT and no second room stuff either.

Hi All,
There's been a lot of very good reviews on TeddyDac and also the MF M1-Dac.
Has anyone tried both and can give me some opinion?

I'm looking into getting a new generation DAC to use with music via AppleTV.

TeddyDac is almost double the price of the MF M1-Dac, but the TeddyDac has a version comes with volume control which is useful for me.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

advertisement

Back