advertisement

Teddy Pardo for Naim NAC 82

Chris1234

pfm Member
I currently run a single hicap for my Nac 82 and I am wondering if anyone has any experience of running the teddy pardo equivalent? The TD upgrade would be much cheaper than a Supercap, even if I bought one second hand, so the question is, is the TD power supply a significant upgrade over the hicap? Your advice would be much appreciated.

I used to have an 82 (82/hi/250/Neat MFS). First used 1 hiCap. Bought a second one a year later to use with the 82. This never worked for me.
After that, I was able to get a TP power supply which replaced two hiCaps. It became available second-hand locally in Holland. I had this in my set for a week.
It sounded shrill, and the sound remained thin. I put my CB hiCap back in and never looked back.
Then again, there are plenty of whammers who have had good experiences with a TP on an 82. Mine played excellent with just one hiCap. Never had the funds for a Supercap.

The teddycap or teddycap plus is slightly better than a HiCap but not hugely. The real gain is to be had by getting a dual teddycap which takes the 82 into a new league.

The DTC also comfortably beats a non DR Naim supercap.

If you want to go further than you can get your 82 superlink modded and use a Teddy Supercap to its full extent.

I never found any change in the tonal character of the pre when switching between PSU's but the bass will tighten significantly which may not suit all systems or ears.

I use my 82 with a Dual Teddycap and I think it sounds magnificent, though I have never tried it with 2x HiCap and a NAPSC so I can't compare. The DTC was offered with the 82 for less than the price that I sold my existing single HiCap for, so it was too good to turn down. No regrets at all. 3 boxes to power a preamp is just insane.

I wouldn't go TP. A while ago when I messed with this sort of thing I settled on the Avondale TPR4 regs. You need 2 of those and a printer power brick with the correct connector.

There are likely better options now available. You could always try one from Sean Jacobs

How does the bass sound with your 82/HiCap?
If the bass is a little flabby and overblown a Teddy cap will tighten it up as colasblue said above. If it sounds ok with your HiCap then you may feel like musfed in post #2.

I bought a second hand dual teddycap and tried it using only one of the 24volt supplies against my Hi Cap and found the bass much cleaner and less boomy (from sbls).
With both 24volt leads in use it was better again and I've never thought of changing it.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve just upgraded to an NDS from an NDX as I do most of my listening through the streamer and, in fact, I’m very happy with the sound. It got a well controlled base which seems, from your comments, to be the main issue with a single hicap. This might be down to my Spendor D7 speakers. As I’m not suffering any problems I must just save my money and enjoy the music. After all, the cost of any of the different power supplies included in your posts buys a lot of CDs!

The general consensus for the 82 seems to be that a Supercap is a great upgrade however the 82 cannot take advantage of all the Supercap has to offer in terms of using all available power rails. Witch hat audio offer an upgrade to the 82 that addresses this. However, if you are enjoying the sound of your system, just listen to the music. I have found that setting a target on where you want to be in a few years is a good strategy. Only buy stuff that takes you on that journey and only buy stuff that you can sell on for what you paid if required.

The general consensus for the 82 seems to be that a Supercap is a great upgrade however the 82 cannot take advantage of all the Supercap has to offer in terms of using all available power rails. Witch hat audio offer an upgrade to the 82 that addresses this. However, if you are enjoying the sound of your system, just listen to the music. I have found that setting a target on where you want to be in a few years is a good strategy. Only buy stuff that takes you on that journey and only buy stuff that you can sell on for what you paid if required.
That’s a very good philosophy

Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve just upgraded to an NDS from an NDX as I do most of my listening through the streamer and, in fact, I’m very happy with the sound. It got a well controlled base which seems, from your comments, to be the main issue with a single hicap. This might be down to my Spendor D7 speakers. As I’m not suffering any problems I must just save my money and enjoy the music. After all, the cost of any of the different power supplies included in your posts buys a lot of CDs!

Now you know you're never going to be happy at leaving it that. Too disappointing, never played the game etc.

Try a used DTC. If you don't think it's better sell it and never go there again, but at least try it out!

The Teddy Pardo gear is well thought of on this forum. I owned a TP DAC which is what got me into digital. If you fancy trying a PS they are good value and really easy to sell on if you don’t get on with them. Your 82/HiCap is a great combo though. Many feel that it doesn’t need anything more.

Yes, dead right. The confounding factors are that Naim PSUs (especially SCs) seem to hold their value very well for what are really quite niche items - and that a SC will set you up for a 52/252.

Annoyingly in a way - because I'm just repeating what I did twenty years ago - I'm hanging out for a SC, and then looking for a 52.

Yes, dead right. The confounding factors are that Naim PSUs (especially SCs) seem to hold their value very well for what are really quite niche items - and that a SC will set you up for a 52/252.

Annoyingly in a way - because I'm just repeating what I did twenty years ago - I'm hanging out for a SC, and then looking for a 52.
A Supercap hangs onto its value but… service time can wipe all that out.

I currently run a single hicap for my Nac 82 and I am wondering if anyone has any experience of running the teddy pardo equivalent?

The only way I see it is to suck it and see since you are getting varied suggestions here on this thread.

I owned the early version of the Dual Teddycap with 282 and later switched to the Hicap DR. To me;

Hicap DR - best sound quality
Dual Teddycap with 1 input - worse
Dual Teddycap with 2 inputs - worst

Differences are not exactly night and day but noticeable.

Now, conventional wisdom has it that both inputs from the Dual Teddycap will produce better result than 1 input, but that's not the case for me. It made the sound worse, too thick in the midrange and bass heavy. Other factors that come into play : speakers, room, listening taste etc.

A supercap is an attractive way forward because it would then enable me to upgrade to a 52 but even old models seem to be very expensive. But once you’ve got upgraditis its difficult to resist the urge!

On a separate note, I have my NDX going spare if anyone needs a good streamer

I started with a NAC92/Nap90 12years ago. My plan was always to end up with a 52/135. I waited about 4 years until I bit the bullet and recovered most of the cost of the 92/90, but even then I could only afford a 250 to go with it. After a couple of years I got the 135s and didn’t lose a penny on the 250 when I sold it. It’s easy to get distracted by power supplies etc but nothing is more satisfying than ending up with what you have dreamed of and losing no money. I know like me you have an NDS/XPS2 and it’s too easy to think a 555PS is mandated but at over £4K for a used example it’s not even on my dream list. If they drop to about half that in future I might consider one but after last night listening to Rogers Waters - Amused to death, I think in terms of my end game, I’ve just arrived :)

I started with a NAC92/Nap90 12years ago. My plan was always to end up with a 52/135. I waited about 4 years until I bit the bullet and recovered most of the cost of the 92/90, but even then I could only afford a 250 to go with it. After a couple of years I got the 135s and didn’t lose a penny on the 250 when I sold it. It’s easy to get distracted by power supplies etc but nothing is more satisfying than ending up with what you have dreamed of and losing no money. I know like me you have an NDS/XPS2 and it’s too easy to think a 555PS is mandated but at over £4K for a used example it’s not even on my dream list. If they drop to about half that in future I might consider one but after last night listening to Rogers Waters - Amused to death, I think in terms of my end game, I’ve just arrived :)
Many thanks. After going through a bunch of Linn kit and numerous iterations of Naim stuff I think that, like you, I have now reached my own endgame as I am really happy with the sound of my system. Sure, it could be improved but, like you, I am unwilling to spend that much on the next upgrade as we are talking big money

By the way, I have the same cartridge as you on my LP12. Great cartridge at a sensible price in my mind

By the way, I have the same cartridge as you on my LP12. Great cartridge at a sensible price in my mind
I love mine. I originally wanted a Krystal but there were some broken cantilever issues being reported at the time so I gave it a punt based on reviews and have never been disappointed. Will probably stick with DV when it needs replacing but its only got about 800 hours on it so a long way off yet.

advertisement

Back