Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Technics SL5 (or similar) ground cable

Discussion in 'audio' started by HarryCrumb, Oct 23, 2020.

1. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

Hello,

I just got myself a slightly scuffed but fully working Technics SL5. It has the original Technics cartridge bu the stylus was flat as a pancake so I replaced that. Only other issue is the ground cable wasn't included and I'm wondering if anyone knows the type of pin/plug that would fit so I can make my own.

Failing that, I could buy one off ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1132317612...7779&msclkid=a379a14d6e4614e311e8fedf66ccea9a

Its a really nice little turntable, my first automatic and I can really see myself getting used to that.

2. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

Also, the Start button is slightly pushed in, as if it's had a knock at some point. It works fine but perhaps someone has repaired one before. Would be nice to know if it's worth trying to make it look right.

3. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

They are lovely little things and, once you've used one for a while, you are likely as not to end up coming to the realization that these were the ultimate evolution of the turntable.

If the ground cable socket is a hole with no male centre pin within, then it is a Ø1/8" (3.175mm) socket, same diameter as the centre pin of an RCA plug (typically Ø3.2mm); in fact, you could push the centre pin out of a spare RCA and solder on to a ground lead, with bare wire or a spade lug connector down the other end.

As to the start button, suggest you approach from an 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' perspective, as spares are unobtanium; that is, outside of cannibalization.

chris@panteg and HarryCrumb like this.
  4. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

I’ve just had a look and a measure and I think your very much bang on there. I will attempt your suggestion of an RCA pin. As for the start button, it ain’t broke so I’ll leave it alone... :)

Thanks for the help!

Craig B likes this.
  5. HarryCrumb

HarryCrumb pfm Member

Just for anyone looking for this in the future, I've utilised one of those yellow RCA to mini-jack cables that you often got with cameras. I snipped the jack end off and tinned it with solder and it works great. If I ever get some crimps and a crimper I will probably add a spade crimp but I'll probably be too busy listening to music to remember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chris@panteg likes this.
  6. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

Those are nice decks. The buttons are manufactured in a single sub assembly with the 'hinge' parts nothing more than a thin piece of plastic. Not much you can do when they've sunk in, though they do have a habit of collecting dirt in behind which may be stopping it coming fully forwards. They're easy to disassemble.

HarryCrumb likes this.
  7. chris@panteg

chris@panteg pfm Member

I had an SL5 but then got a SL-QL1 and gave the 5 to my father in law, still going strong. Maybe a little servisol on the switch might help.

HarryCrumb likes this.