advertisement

Technics return to high end audio.

I like it, but I'm really not sure how many of these they'll sell. Will anyone with 40K to spend, want to buy Technics? Maybe this is just one of those statement products, to get the word out and real gear will follow. Technics, to me at least, says 'solid engineering' whereas 40K says 'give me esoteric fairy dust'.

Technics were my favourite brand as a teenager, good to see the BIG VU meters back.

The speakers, as ever with Japanese companies, look interesting. I wonder if they'll be demming them at Tokyo?

I very strongly suspect we are not the intended market. Pricing in Euro's at least make it look like we have the option to purchase to the Chinese and Indian markets but I would be very surprised if a single unit is purchased at that price anywhere in the EU. Most maufacturers and retailers will tell you that the vast bulk of their high end output isn't being bought by us impoverished Northern Europeans!

And I am sure we will look back on these as an undervalued and rarely seen item. Much like the 70s and 80s odds and sods on the Vintage Knob that "must" be good!!

I like it, but I'm really not sure how many of these they'll sell. Will anyone with 40K to spend, want to buy Technics? Maybe this is just one of those statement products, to get the word out and real gear will follow. Technics, to me at least, says 'solid engineering' whereas 40K says 'give me esoteric fairy dust'.

The Japanese have never exported the top of the range Hi Fi they produce(d) to the European/UK market, we simply can't afford it, the situation was made worse by the cost of the CE testing now needed. They exported very little of their high end to the US either, for much the same reason. I had a close friend who was Japanese, she would only buy Japanese manufactured TVs, Hi Fi, and Computers, most of what she bought never made it to the UK market except for the TVs, but the label made in Japan was essential to her purchase.

The speakers, as ever with Japanese companies, look interesting. I wonder if they'll be demming them at Tokyo?

They look like the SB-RX series drive units, which ceased production early 90's. I have a pair of SB-RX50's which do some things very well; thanks to the OP for the heads-up!

Steve

Technics were my favourite brand as a teenager, good to see the BIG VU meters back.
I like big analogue meters. In my teens, I drooled over the Yamaha C1/B1. Not many preamplifiers had meters or that many dials.

I like big analogue meters. In my teens, I drooled over the Yamaha C1/B1. Not many preamplifiers had meters or that many dials.

A good friend of mine had a C2/B2, JBL L100's setup back in Uni days. Bad ass combo!

Had the privilege of baby sitting his 1K+ record collection for a couple years while he was living in Alaska. :)

Yeah, I'd be happy with a C2/B2 too. They come up from time to time, but the MOS-FETs of the big Yams are truly unobtainium. Shame.

‘Accurate Digital Technology’ ‘Noiseless Signal Technology’ ‘Emotive Acoustic Technology’ the bussword department has been working late, must be good :rolleyes:

Pete

I could have sworn I'd responded on a thread about this, and I had! Threads merged.

PS the stand-mount speakers have more than a hint of the Kef LS50 about them don't they? I rather like the aesthetics of the electronics, kind of hits that classic yet new area the way Accuphase, Luxman and the new high-end Yamahas do. Just needs a nice DD record deck.

advertisement

Back